“Underwhelming and Understaffed”

The Westin Verasa Napa
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 6, 2009

The hotel itself is fairly new but I felt like I was staying at an expensive Comfort Inn. Most of the staff were polite but generally not impressive or available. Nothing remarkable about this hotel at all. The rooms were ok and the bed comfortable. That’s about it. It is very unlikely I will return to this hotel anytime soon nor would I recommend it. The location is not great and I suspect that there are better places in Napa to stay.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,410)

Reviewed October 6, 2009

We stayed at the Westin last week and absolutely loved it. Everything from the room to the grounds to the staff were fabulous.

The location is a little different from what you might think of when you think of the Napa Valley. However, we enjoyed the "urban" location and its proximity to the Oxbow and downtown. One can easily walk there for snack, coffee, wine or shopping. Granted it's a bit further from the Sonoma wineries, but you plan ahead and leave earlier that day. Add in a stop for breakfast and you're set for the day.

Don't miss the Fatted Calf up the street for some delicious meats. Buy a few slices there and then take it to the Wine Merchant at the Oxbow where you can enjoy it with cheese and wine. It was a wonderful prelude to dinner that night.

Back to the hotel, the room was lovely. The bed heavenly as one always expects at the Westin. The bathroom was spacious and had the best showerhead I've seen in a long time...maybe ever. The kitchenette made for a much more comfortable trip.

I wish we had more time to enjoy the pool area as it was beautiful. We just spent way too much time at the wineries for that. There are both chairs in the sun and the shade so everyone can enjoy the pool. Also some nice cabanas.

The workout room was much larger than what you typically get at hotels. Of course I didn't have time to use it, but the equipment was plentiful, new and clean.

Lastly, the staff was wonderful. They were knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. I look forward to visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2009

My husband and I went to Napa Valley for the first time & ended up booking a room here. It wasn't exactly charming, quaint, warm or anything close to the B&Bs you imagine you should stay at in Napa Valley, but it was perfect for us after a long drive. The service at the front desk was good enough. They checked us in immediately even though we had arrived early. We were told that the hotel was fully booked. Initially, I was a bit disturbed by the fact that our room was on the first floor, but then I realized it was far away enough from the lobby & gym to be peaceful. I liked the high ceiling & the spacious room. The location of the hotel was convenient. Anyway, I think the hotel is great for anyone who's just looking for a new, modern, & comfortable room. I'm not a big fan of the $20 parking fee. They don't call it that, but basically, that's what it is.

Reviewed September 25, 2009

My husband and I came here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We are usually very low-key guests and easy to please, but there were so many issues with this hotel I felt compelled to write my first negative review. I'll try to keep this brief, but there were several issues, and I may go off on a tangent or two:

1. We arrived to check-in and were promptly told that we had to wait, that our room wasn't ready; check-in time was at 3 pm. We said okay, and checked the time: 2:48 pm. Are you kidding? I could understand if we were an hour or two early, but are you telling me you have NO rooms ready at 10 minutes to 3? The lady wouldn't budge, so we ran down to the bakery nearby and returned about 1/2 hour later - miraculously, our room was ready. Not a great start, but whatever; we were willing to shrug it off. But....

2. When we checked in (as Starwood Gold members), we were told that all they had available was a standard room, but would let us know if an upgrade became available. Since we were going to be there for 5 nights, that was no problem. Until we realized that our room was right next to the exercise room, outdoor patio, and pool. SO noisy at night, and in the morning when we could hear people start to work out. We asked after our first night if we could change rooms, and the front desk woman (Lisa), assured us she would get us a different room and most likely an upgrade since it was Sunday and the hotel wouldn't be at capacity. She said she'd call us later. We leave for the day and come back around 7.....

3. Somehow, there are NO rooms we can move to - not even another standard room. Lisa never called us, and claims there are no rooms available. Now, we understand that as Gold members we're below Platinum on the upgrade list, but nevertheless one of the perks is that we're entitled to an upgrade (even a better view) when available. So we asked, "does that mean that everyone who checked in today was a Platinum member?" since that could be the only explanation that would make sense. Lisa had no real explanation, and said she'd definitely call us tomorrow w/a room change. Even a different/quieter view, standard room would have been fine - but no call, NOTHING was ever attempted to change our room after that.

4. Each day our room was cleaned, we were given fewer towels - the last day we were given ONE bath towel and two hand towels - for two guests? We were also supposed to receive a morning paper every morning outside our door (a small gold member perk), and got it 1 out of 5 mornings we were there - the rest of the time they were just stacked at the front desk. Also, we had no room service menu/hotel book in our room, nor any mini bar or fridge/snacks as other reviewers had mentioned. Was our room like an afterthought? Again, normally wouldn't complain, but on top of everything else....

5. This one is my favorite. When we checked in, the front desk (Lisa) said, quote, "Since you are using your Starwood points for your stay, your points include complimentary VALET PARKING, wi-fi, and use of our business center and workout facilities." I'd read on here about the $20 'resort' fee, but since she told us it was included in our point redemption, we thought, great! UNTIL we received the bill on our last morning for the $20 + taxes per day for the 'resort fee.' When we took it to the front desk, we were told - sorry, everyone pays the resort fee, whether you use the parking or not, and the only way to get around it is to book through an agency like Travelocity, since they pay for the fees upfront.

So basically, they're saying that, even though we're supposedly 'preferred' Starwood members, staying at your hotel using points, we MUST pay an additional $100 + taxes for our stay, since in order to use our points we have to book directly, and don't have the option of using Travelocity? Wow, very classy, Westin.

The location of the hotel is also weird; within walking distance of downtown Napa, but there really isn't anything in downtown Napa - good restaurants, but lots of empty store fronts.

Overall, this was the most disappointing stay we've had at a Westin (and we've stayed at many). It's obvious the management and staff have not been properly trained in customer service, and are only there to cater to their 'big wig' customers, like the ones that were being wined and dined at an open house we saw while we were there, trying to get people to become owners. I love TripAdvisor and use it as my travel Bible, so I know this review will reach many readers; I truly hope you consider my review before you book at this hotel.

7  Thank travellady16
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Our stay at the Westin Verasa could not have been better. My best friend was visiting for a gals get-away from the craziness of our lives ( ... no husbands ... no kids). Upon arrival at the hotel we were delighted to find that we'd been upgraded to a one bedroom suite overlooking the pool. That bed ... well, let's just say that it lives up to it's name ... Heavenly!

Service: Our favorite bartender, a.k.a. Cabana Boy, took great care of us at the Wine Bar at Bank. I was most appreciative of bell services and "service express" for their patience with me. They were always very understanding of my losing my baggage claim/valet ticket. Every staff member we came in contact with was fabulous, smiling, and a true pleasure to speak to.

Location: Let's be honest, the location is probably not the first place people think of when they look for a hotel in "Napa Valley". If you must look out your window and see the vines, this is not the place for you. However, I truly believe this location is a perfect 'midpoint' for those who have a car and a map. You have downtown Napa with fabulous dining and nightlife a couple of blocks away. Then for traveling to the wineries, the map we were given at the hotel was all we needed.

We are already planning our return trip to Napa, and are going back to the Westin.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2009

This was an A++++ hotel. From the moment we checked in we were greeted with friendly, helpful staff in a beautiful lobby. Our room was very comfortable (got to love that Westin Heavenly bed) with Starbucks coffee (with travel cups and lids! - perfect for using while heading out to the wineries), excellent bath items, and a wonderful view of the mountains bordering the East side of the Valley. Great location for heading up to Napa, or even crossing over to Sonoma; also perfect for getting into downtown Napa for any nightlife. The fitness center was top-notch with multiple machines and personal televisions built into them. The pool area was nice during the day with a nice fire in the evening. The concierge was very helpful in providing a map to the different wineries and easy-to-follow directions.
Good tip for future visitors: Call down to the Valet desk to have them bring your car around 10-15 minutes before. The valet line can get a bit behind in the morning and dinnertime.

Reviewed September 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for two nights over Labor Day weekend and had an amazing time. We arrived in Napa around 1:00pm on Saturday and the let us check-in early since our room was ready. I asked if they had any upgraded rooms free, and they said they were 100% booked. This hotel is super dog friendly, in fact upon check-in they give you a little gift bag that includes a dog tag, gourmet dog treat, and some poop bags. When we got to our room we were delighted to see that we had in fact been upgraded from a studio to one bedroom with a balcony and view of the river. Also, they set out a dog bed and water/food dishes for the pup. Our room was awesome. It had a little kitchenette including a small fridge, a microwave, a dishwasher, a stove top and all the pots, pans, cutlery, wine glasses etc you need. The pool area of the hotel was lovely. They have small cabana like tents for those of us who burn. The pool and hot tub are open until 11 pm so you can take an after dinner dip. There's a nice gym and bocce ball court too, but we didn’t use them. The location of the hotel in Napa is good, too. You can easily walk to down the Street to Taylors, Kara's Cupcakes, and even downtown Napa. It's also right off the highway for easy access to wineries further north in the valley. We ate at Ad Hoc, which was only about a 20 minute drive away. As for parking, there is tons of safe street parking in front of the hotel if you choose not to use the valet. We used the valet once and it was fine, took about 5 minutes. We had a great stay here and will definitely return.