“Solid Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Chandler, Arizona
“Solid Stay”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

SPG Gold Member and used points for a three night leisure stay. Arrived at noon on Saturday and room was ready for check in. Clerk was courteous and very informative as were the bell/valet attendants out front. Having called the hotel before our stay, I was aware of the room type used for points. (hotel website lacks this information but that is common for SPG) Room 1022 on the main floor was a short walk from the lobby and faced a very quiet courtyard. A tad on the small side but vaulted ceilings gave it a roomier feel. It was clean and well appointed to the Westin standards. Bathroom was a bit lacking in counter space but the dual head walk in shower was a pleasure to use. Typical king bed layout with a dresser, table and 2 chairs. Certainly sufficed for a place to sleep as intended for our busy trip.

Sat for a drink around 12:45 pm and the bar at The Bank in the lobby was deserted. What appeared to be a manager came over to serve us but struggled with finding the ingredients and was using a menu to mix the drinks. This took nearly 10 minutes as she left twice to find things she thought they were out of. Finally got our drinks and they were just okay. This set the tone for our expectations so it was our only interaction for food and drink in the hotel.

Valet only parking comes with in and out privileges and is included in the $20 per night resort fee. (As is WIFI) The valet/bell attendants were very efficient and friendly at every interaction. We give this group an A+. Mineral pool out back is heated but we did not use.

Location of the hotel is in great proximity to downtown Napa. We planned dinner each night in downtown and walked both ways all three nights. (roughly 15 minutes each way) It was nice not to worry about driving and parking and the streets all seemed very safe. The hotel does offer a complimentary car ride to and from downtown based on availability but we did not take advantage.

Reception in the lobby each night from 5-7 featured a local wine(s) and lite appetizer. This was a great way to mingle and enjoy the lobby. (which is beautifully done)

Overall a very nice stay and on par with the Westin experience. For location in the downtown area, wine train, Oxbow Market, etc. it cannot be beat. If you are looking for the more remote off the path, winery close Napa hotels, this may not suit your needs.

Aside from our bar experience, the only other thing we found challenging was the noise of the climate control. Even sleeping with white noise on in the room, we were woken by the heat turning on and off several times per night. This was a first for us for with a central air system but we would use earplugs upon return.

Would easily recommend and would return without question.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joski69
WestinNapa_CA, Front Office Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Hello Joski69:

Thank you for taking the time to provide us and our TripAdvisor readers such a detailed and great review about your recent visit to our property. We really appreciate both the positive feedback and the ideas for improvement.

It sounds like you had a great trip and I think you touched on the various highlights and touch points for all of our future guests.

We’ll hope to see you again on your next trip up from southern California, and have a great 2014.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
Armonk, New York
Reviewed December 16, 2013

My wife and I booked three suites at the Westin Verasa. One for ourselves, one for our son and his wife and the third one for our son, his wife and their 5 year old son as well as their 2 year old toddler. The rooms were large and the beds were super comfortable. But I believe that Westin needs to upgrade a few things. For example the bed linens were excellent, but the towels were small and just three in our room. There was shampoo and conditioner, but no Q-tips or shower cap. The Westin worked well for us. The lobby is big and child friendly, the heated pool was a treat for the kids and the registration desk was helpful and very friendly. We were happy with our choice of the Westin and if we had to re-book our stay, we would still choose the exact same spot. But I believe that the charm of Napa and Sonoma are lost on a hotel like the Westin. If my wife and I were to stay in that area again, I believe we would pick a smaller hotel that was more intimate.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ase1707
WestinNapa_CA, Front Office Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Ase1707:

Thank you for the review and taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us and all of our TripAdvisor readers. It’s great to hear about the positives and the areas that could have been improved. Each is equally as important and helps ensure that we are always improving.

For a group your size I would 100% agree that our property is a perfect size and location but for those that are looking for a more stereotypical wine country experience, there are some more boutique style bed and breakfast properties that may be better suited.

Lastly, I will be passing a long your feedback to our housekeeping team about the towels and the added bathroom amenities. I think the amenities that you listed could be a great addition and add a nice touch.

We’ll hope to see you and the family again on your next trip through the Napa Valley.

Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is nicely located in downtown Napa, walkable to many restaurants and tasting rooms. Very hospitable staff. There is a daily resort fee that covers valet parking and wifi throughout the facility. Nice bar area to relax. My 3rd floor suite was clean and well appointed. I will definitely return here.

Stayed December 2013
WestinNapa_CA, Front Office Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Hello Preston P:

Thank you for the great review and awesome feedback for us and our TripAdvisor readers. We love to hear about the fun times our guest have and the great service they receive.

As a Portland native myself, I know that good food and good wine is easily found, but I’m glad that you were able to find time to come down and visit us.

We’ll to see you back soon and have a happy holidays.

Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I was extremely disappointed and surprised at the extreme lack of customer service for a Westin Hotel. I thought their reputation I called to purchase a gift certificate for a family member for Christmas ~ instead of assisting me with the purchase, they gave me an email address and asked to contact the person in accounting. So, I did exactly what they asked and never received a response back. I called and asked for the person I sent the email to and again, she was out of the office and they put me through to another person who wasn't in the office and asked me to leave a message ~ again I never received a returned call ~ nothing. This isn't a Holiday Inn or Best Western, but I bet I would at least receive a return call from them. I called again and this time I asked to speak to the manager of Accounting, this time the gentlemen put me on hold and came back to say that the manager wasn't available and again, they would transfer me to voicemail. Terrible service ~ I will inform my friends and family and co-workers NEVER to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 1066Linda
Hello 1066Linda:

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us and our TripAdvisor readers feedback about your recent experience in trying to purchase a gift certificate. I have personally spoken to our accounting team and sincerely apologize for the lack of follow up that you received.

I know that it doesn’t change the fact that you were so delayed getting any response, but I know that we have figured out where the delay occurred and I believe that our Director of Finance has recently replied and apologized for the delay.

If there is anything further that I may be able to assist with please feel free to contact me directly (nbaslaw@westinnapa.com) and I would be glad to assist in any way possible.

St. Louis, MO
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I was excited to stay here since on other trips to Napa, I had ended up at other places. It lived up to the pictures. Being a Platinum SPG member with upgrades to burn, this place looked great. Arrived on Sat Nov 23, checked out on Mon Nov 25.

The valets were wonderful. We arrived very late with lots of baggage and one person on crutches. They were helpful and friendly. Check in was simple as expected. One in our room, we realized the room was missing a bathroom. Yes, they gave us the regular suite instead of the premium suite I had on my reservation. Not only was it the wrong suite but it stunk. We went to the front desk and they said they could not fix it that evening since it was the last suite available but would instead move us to a two bedroom suite the next day while we were out. This worked out wonderfully. Since this hotel is usually booked, I would advise not arriving late as we did around 10pm.

The bar off the lobby was unexciting. Went down for a drink the first night. The staff was not attentive but we only went for one so it was fine. Wine list was good but also expected in Napa.

The bar is also the spot for breakfast in the morning. Being a platinum member, I had chosen the breakfast option at check in for my amenity. Bad choice! The bar is run by an outside company and the platinum breakfast coupon were only good for the continental breakfast on the menu. You could not order any other item except the continental breakfast. Useless. Other Westins also do the same thing with the continental then up charge you for a better item but not here. The continental was listed at $16 but the omelet at $13. The omelet was great but by the time you add on coffee, we spent $20 on breakfast per person. Should have gone to try one of the many local places instead. Oxbow market is at the end of the street and would have been a better choice. Since the suites have full kitchens, grabbing stuff for the room would have also been a good option if staying longer.

The pool and hot tub are wonderful!! Sunrises are to die for and most room have great views. Both of our rooms had great porches with chairs for lounging.

I agree with the other reviewer on the wine tasting in the lobby. It was one lone vendor with a few wines and no snacks. Not much of a tasting for a Napa hotel. I had expected more.

Being California, I saw several dogs in the lobby with owners so be aware. All were leashed and well behaved.

Bathrooms were spacious, clean and well stocked.

Would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Get there early so you have a choice of rooms. Get one with a balcony facing the pool or the walkin...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hello StLouTraveller:

Thank you for taking the time to provide us a review of your stay a couple weeks ago and although it doesn’t sound like it was a perfect stay, I am glad to hear that everything worked out in the end. I’d also like to apologize for the few inconveniences that you did encountered, but more than anything, thank you for being so understanding and willing to work with us.

We love both the positive feedback and the feedback for improvement. I will be reviewing our room blocking procedures with our front office team and I will also be speaking with our food and beverage team about the information you provided in regards to your various encounters.

Lastly, I would like to thank you for your continued loyalty and I know that on your next trip out to Napa we can guarantee a much more relaxing and rejuvenating experience.

Happy holidays and have a great time bringing in the new year.

Paris
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I went with my wife and my two daughters on November.
The room was nice. We had a suite and you can cook in the room.
The staff is friendly.
There are a nice pool which is heated and a big Jacuzzi.
The bar is very nice. The waiter was perfect and helpful.
The main restaurant ( La toque) is good and It has one star in the Michelin book.
It is a good place to stay because it is close from the wineries in Napa and Somona.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Indiannaj01:

Thank you for taking the time to provide us and our TripAdvisor readers a bit of detail about your recent stay here at The Westin Verasa Napa. It sounds like a good family trip and I think you chose the right place to stay.

Although there are many hotels and resorts in the Napa Valley, we are most likely one of the best at accommodating more than the standard couple coming to the wine country. With the ability to have various different options with a 1 bedroom suite and even the ability to stay in one of our 2 bedroom suites, you can almost always find something that will work for your desired travel.

Paris is a very long trip but if you find yourself back in the Napa area we’ll hope you can come back and visit us again.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

My husband and I are Starwood members and stayed here the end of October and first of November. This was our first visit to the Napa area. We stayed four nights and were upgraded to a one bedroom suite. We loved that! The suite was beautiful. We even had a patio that looked out over the river walk area behind the hotel. We couldn't have been treated better! Everyone we came in contact with was friendly and helpful. The bellman was so nice. He gave us a number of coupons for wine tasting freebies and discounts. The entire facility was beautiful and spotless. As always, their heavenly beds were indeed heavenly! The bathroom large and supplied with luxurious towels. We also love their bathrobes. The Verasa has a great location. Just a quick walk to the Oxbow Market. That was an absolutely amazing place requiring a review of its own! It was an easy walk to downtown Napa as well. Which was quite charming and full of delightful stores, boutiques, and restaurants. The hotel provides shuttles for those interested. We absolutely fell in love with the area. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room overlooking the river walk area. It was quiet and we could also go out that way...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Jannerme:

Thank you so much for sharing your kind words with us and our TripAdvisor readers. It’s so great to hear about special guest experiences and yours sounds about as good as it can get.

I think you hit all the best parts of our resort with the only other amenity I might mention would be our Michelin starred restaurant La Toque. If you weren’t able to try it on this trip you’ll have to make it happen on the next one.

Have a great holidays and a happy new year!

Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
#1 of 6 in Yountville
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#5 of 6 in Yountville

Been to The Westin Verasa Napa? Share your experiences!