“good service but overall unmemorable experience but that's a good thing!”

The Westin Verasa Napa
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hong Kong, China
“good service but overall unmemorable experience but that's a good thing!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

When you get an American hotel that has good service, decent rooms and in an ok location it quickly becomes unmemorable but that is no bad thing. For this hotel there was certainly no standout feature except maybe the pool area which was nice but always seemed quite busy.

I liked:
- the bar was always busy and fun even when coming back late
- excellent concierge service, rest of staff were very nice.
- location was ok, just outside town so a short walk or drive to the main street

There was nothing that stood out as anything I disliked (except the price of the rooms but you can't blame the hotel for that!) hence the rating. Well done Westin Napa, good work

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thekyd,

Thank you for the great feedback and review and although it was an unmemorable experience I like your overall message and thoughts on the hotel and service.

I too would agree that one of our best features is our beautiful outdoor pool and hot tub area, a rare amenity in the downtown area. This is of course the reason that it can be quite busy on weekends but is typically very relaxing.

Lastly, thank you for your visit and we’ll hope to see you back on your next trip to the Legendary Napa Valley.

Service Express Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

This was our third stay. Our suite on the 1st floor was wonderful. Wonderful and quite area near the Bocci Ball court. The evening wine and chair message is a great touch. Probably the only criticism I have is that it took till 3 to have housekeeping and I had to track them down.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LOCheydog:

Thank you for the great review and the 1st floor rooms on the bocce ball courts is one of my favorite areas. I’m also sorry about the tardiness of the housekeeping service. I will be speaking to the housekeeping team about your concerns and if on future stays you have a desired time of service please feel free to let us know and we can set that up for you in advance.

Thank you once again and we’ll hope to see you back soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We only stayed here for 2 nights but would have loved to stay longer.
Very nice hotel and the staff was great. Everyone was friendly and helpful.
The drinks by the pool are a little pricey.
Overall, not much to really complain about. A great hotel in a good location within walking distance to shops and restaurants in downtown Napa.
Was not aware that the restaurant on site had a Michelin star. Would have been nice to eat there. Be sure to get reservations ahead of time!

Room Tip: No need to request a room with a view since it is only 3 stories high.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adam50young
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Adam50young,

Thanks for the great review and good feedback for our TripAdvisor readers. I’m sorry you didn’t know about La Toque but next time you make a trip out west to wine country you’ll need to try to make time for a La Toque experience, it’s incredible.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I just love this hotel. I have been there twice in the past year. Hotel is clean, beautiful, spotless rooms, and has one of the nicest bathrooms I have ever seen in a hotel. Just LOVE the bathrooms.

The suites are pretty amazing as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mikelogan2
Mikelogan2,

Thank you for the great review and awesome feedback for all of our TripAdvisor readers. We love to read about our guests great experiences and we’ll hope to see you back again soon.

mississauga
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights with our son & his wife; had a wonderful time. We were in a one bedroom (newlyweds in the bedroom at our insistence; us on comfy pull-out couch in the living room). It didn`t feel crowded -- though that might be partly because we were so busy enjoying the hotel amenities, the town, and the Napa Valley experience. Our ground-floor room was quiet, and we liked being able to step out onto our own patio, go for a run, and play bocci, all without having to go through the hotel. When we weren`t visiting town or the local wineries, we lounged by the poolside, enjoyed (free) pre-dinnertime snacks & wine-tasting in the lobby; walked by the river, to the market, and to town. Everything was close and convenient, including the Wine Train. I had my pick of treadmills every morning in the nicely-appointed, airy fitness room. Loved the service (especially the friendly greetings and having someone park and retrieve our car at a moment`s notice). We`ll be back!

Room Tip: We like our quiet, so we chose the area away from the pool and lounge: those who want to be close to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank judith s
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Judith S:

Thank you for sharing your experience and your review with all of our TripAdvisor readers and it sounds like you had a wonderful experience. I know there are a lot of people that typically avoid all first floor rooms but here at our property many of the first floor rooms are the best that we have.

Thank you again and we’ll hope to see you back again soon.

Service Express Napa
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I just buzzed through the recent reviews for the hotel and was happy to see that many had a positive experience as my husband and I did. We live in San Francisco, so we have samples many a hotel in the California Wine country form the cheap to rustic to semi-plush. The Westin falls into the semi-plush category with it's "heavenly bed" and "heavenly bath" both of which truly live up to the name!

One nice thing I wanted to point out--aside from the large pool and jacuzzi, accessible gym and chic Bank Bar--is that the Westin Verasa is suitable for Foodies. Yes, those annoying people who take flash photos of their food from at least four different angles before digging in. I am one of those people (at least 90% of the time and the other 10% of the time I'm just too hungry!). Anyway, one of the reasons I chose the Westin Verasa other than it's airy beauty and the pool is that it's walking distance (just a stroll down a long sidewalk) to Napa's Oxbow Market and Gott's Roadside. The Oxbow is a food market hall that offers wonderful things like made to order duck, crab and buffalo tacos, artisan pizza and wine bar and Five Dot Ranch where you pick a steak from the window and they cook it for you! There's also Three Twins Ice Cream, Kara's Cupcakes and a Juice Bar that uses local produce in their concoctions. Oxbow is on par with San Francisco's Ferry Plaza Building with various shops and things to try. Any self-respecting foodie would be happy to spend an hour or two eating their way through this market.

Gott's Roadside is next door to Oxbow and is California 50's style burger joint restyled for the contemporary palette with ahi tuna burgers and fish tacos in addition to awesome burger combos--bleu cheese-bacon-barbecue-onion ring burger, anyone? You have to check it out.

Additionally, the Westin is so nicely situated and only a 20 minute drive from Foodie Mecca--Yountville, California and home of Thomas Keller's French Laundry--good luck getting a reservation. Luckily, there are many other delicious options nearby like one of my favorites Michael Chiarello's Bottega, an Italian restaurant with impeccable plates and excellent service. The best part being that Wine Country is very casual and never stuffy, so there's no need to be intimidated at any of these restaurants. The hotel also has its own Michelin start restaurant La Toque which we want to try the next time we're up and the Bank Bar and restaurant in the lobby has a great wine and spirit list (try the Schramsberg bubbly) and yummy snacks and eats (try the Venetian-style ham and cheese).

Back to the Westin Verasa and it's lovely pool and poolside cabanas. The pool is another reason we chose this property. As San Francisco residents we just don't get that sun-drenched outdoor pooltime that our neighbors to the North and East enjoy, so if we're vacationing locally we definitely want to get our pool on. The cabanas are great but they are limited and first-come-first-serve. You have to be strategic to secure your cabana. Go early or go between meals! Beware of the cabana hogs! There is even music piped in and a little bar area and cocktail and dining service waiters milling around. You can even book a poolside massage inside one of the cabanas. I felt very well-taken care of at this pool!!

There are a few downsides. We stayed in room 2034 which was a deluxe king suite with a kitchenette (stove, fridge, microwave and dishwasher!), couch, desk, small terrace (that fit two chairs and side table comfortably) BUT it had a view of street. It isn't a busy street and not an ugly view, but if you're not into that make sure you ask for a different view. Once you close the terrace window/door and pull over the heavy drapes, 90% of street noise is obliterated. However, the one noise that did bother us was the mini-fridge. The kitchenette was great, but we're not used to sleeping with large-scale appliances in the same room. Being a mini-fridge it was not overly noisy but still a little noticeable, especially when you're trying to "get away from it all." Yet, I actually think this is my only complaint. Our duvet had a tiny hole in it, but that didn't matter considering how comfortable that bed was. Incredible. And, I need to find out how to install the same double-shower-head at my house because that was amazing on my back and tired muscles from swimming and touring around the Napa heat.

Once you're done at the pool and eating at every spot within a ten-mile radius of the Westin you can wrap up your holiday by going to the nearby Napa Premium outlets. This is how my husband and I end all of our little mini-breaks to Wine Country.

Aside from Indian Springs Resort in Calistoga, this is the best reasonably priced property I've stayed in Wine Country. If you don't already know, California Wine Country hotel rates, especially in Napa and Sonoma, are sadly inflated where a Queen room at the Best Western can go for $170/night. At $259 the day before the July 4th holiday, we did pretty well. There is also a $20 resort fee but that includes valet parking which is a nice touch. I recommend trying it out, whether you're just getting away from SF or coming from afar. Totally worth it!

Green Features: They turn off the second shower head. Full service kitchenette allows you to make your own meals and cut back on packaging and food container waste.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SpicyB
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
SpicyB,

Thank you for the amazing review and better feedback than I could ever imagine giving to our readers. Your points of interest, description of the area and the hotel are spot on and I really enjoyed your commentary.

We’ll look forward to your next visit to the property and the inside scoop on a great time to visit is just before Thanksgiving and between February and April. The weather is almost always great and although it’s not as perfect as the summer the valley is typically a little less crowded and the prices of almost everything are a little less inflated.

Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

First off the hotel and ammenities are top notch.

The food was terrific and we went to Bank and La Toque.

Christian the concierge is the best!

Now what we did not expect is the Disney cruise like atmosphere of the pool area! BTW we have kids but left them behind to visit Napa - mainly out of respect for my kids boredom.

The pool area had under 5's everywhere! Once again why take your kids to Napa.?! The pool area was Lord of the Flies as you attempted to snag a lounge chair or the holy grail....a cabana. But since most families claimed their places at 9am by strategically placing a towel or personal piece only to actually return hours later your chance of actually sitting by the pool was minimal.

We actually came by to chill and relax by the pool - I guess when you have the best/only? pool in Napa you attract all. It was a holiday wkd so perhaps that's our bad not to realize. I guess I just never would think to bring my kids to Napa - partially bc they'd hate us and the rest out of respect for others serenity.

The hotel is great but it's the resort star attraction in Napa and attracts accordingly. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2013
Nonrev320,

Thank you for the great review and all the detailed feedback, both the positive, and the feedback for improvement about your holiday weekend in Napa. I’m also sorry for the non wine country environment that you encountered. I think you hit the nail on the head when you made the connection that we are the only hotel/resort in the city of Napa with an outdoor pool and during summer holiday weekends we tend to attract a lot more families than normal. Although Napa is not typically a family destination during summer holidays we tend to see a slightly different demographic.

I would also like to thank you for all the great accolades as well. I will be passing along your thoughts to our food and beverage team and to Christopher for a job well done.

We’ll hope to see you again soon and maybe shoot for a midweek getaway in late September, one of the best times to visit.

Service Express Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#1 of 6 in Yountville
Best Western Plus Elm House Inn

Been to The Westin Verasa Napa? Share your experiences!