“Perfect Getaway!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Perfect Getaway!”
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

We came for our 10yr wedding anniversary an it was amazing! Staff was knowledgeable, courteous, helpful and just ....nice. Great location and beautiful running trails. Not much to do at night so we sat in the lounge and had dessert and wine. The Ginger Semi-Freddo was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!! I have never had a dessert of this level before. Kudos to the pastry chef! It's a shame we live too far (NYC) otherwise we would visit more frequently!
If you stay anywhere else while in Napa, you have wasted your money and lost out on a great experience. Only one complaint.... No spa!!!! I was looking forward to a massage. No worries! Got a freebie during the Unwind Hour!! ;-)

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank BigFamily2011
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Big Family,

Thank you for the great review and spectacular feedback to our future travalers. I will be passing along your thoughts to our pastry chef and we love to hear about all the great experiences around the hotel and the Napa Valley.

We can't wait to welcome you back on your next visit out west and come see us soon because the weather has been amazing this Winter.

Service Express Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Korean first
Haverhill,Ma
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We had a nice room with a small kitchen.. Very clean and good size. Even though we had a nice view over the patio and pool it ended up to be the meeting spot for people who were there at conferences so it got very loud at night. After checking in with our party totaling 8 we went to the lobby for drinks and appetizers. The seevice was great there, wish i could temember the servers name.. It was a bit expensive i thought for what we ate. They had complimentary massages in the lobby which felt great after a long travel day. I must say housekeeping came up the minute we called for anything. The only negative there would be i left a note for a clean robe with a tip and when we returned the tip was gone but no robe.. Our stay was 3 nites and we have been Starwood owners for years and i dont know what happened to the heavenly bed but we didnt have one. The bedding itself was lush but usually there is a cushy topper on the mattress and after the second night of not being comfortable i looked and there wasn't one. The sheets were unusually scratchy also. On arrival i was told because i was a Gold elite member we would be getting an extra at our Dinner at Latoque restaurant that night and that he was putting a note on our reservation but we did not.. Restaurant was great so that error was no biggy for me. The biggest negative was the last night we had to hear someone's tv blasting and i mean blasting until after 3:30 a.m. And people were yelling going up and down the hall and the noise at the patio all rolled into a very exhausted next day. The front desk was kind enough to give me some points back for the inconvenience which i appreciated. Breakfast in the restaurant was really expensive for 2 waffles 2 juices and 2 coffees was $50 and the server handed me a rock solid dish of butter for my waffle, i asked if she could put it in the microwave or something to soften it and she said "sorry, i can't".. That was a bit irritating for the cost. We live on the East Coast so obviously don't get to Napa often. Its definately a slice of heaven.. Definately a beautiful property.. Just need to work on the bed and noise.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Irishprincess2
Irish Princess 2,

Thank you for the great review and both the positive feedback and the suggestions for improvement. I will be passing along your compliments to the various departments along with your suggestions for improvement. We pride ourselves with the service that we provide and I’m sorry about the random few isolated issues which I hope to have resolved in the next couple weeks.

We’ll hope to see you on your next trip out west and have a great rest of the Winter.

Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed January 26, 2013

A colleague and I had a quick one night stay here before moving to a conference at the Silverado resort. The service was fantastic from check-in to check-out. We arrived late evening after a 7 hour flight and two hour ride from the airport. Both rooms were large, clean and modern with all the amenities you could need. We both ordered room service and both really enjoyed the food. Breakfast the next morning was also exceptional. Wish our conference was at the Westin all week, as our experience at the Silverado was very disappointing. Part of the problem may have been how high the Westin set the bar.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank RangerGuru
RangerGuru,

Thank you for the great review and I’m sorry that your time at the property was so short. Hopefully you’ll have the opportunity to come join us again and next time stay to enjoy the property as you had hoped to.

We’ll hope to see you sooner than later.

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed January 24, 2013

When we checked in the young man told us there would be a $20.00 amenity fee. I asked what for. He explained it was for use of the pool, gym and wi-fi. I told him we wouldn't be using any of these. He then got attitude and told me everyone pays it. The pool is outside and it's January, the gym is a small room with a couple of machines and we didn't need wi-fi, but I let it go. I asked again the next day and it was then stated that it's a mandatory fee. It bothered me enough that when we got home I called and asked to speak to a manager. Wrong. He let me know very nastily that it is a mandatory resort fee and it plainly states it on their web page and paperwork.
My question is, why don't they just up their prices to begin with and quit playing the games.Then you know exactly what's what up front. The hotel was clean and the rest of the staff were very nice and helpful. From now on I know to ask any hotel what extra charges there will be. We had the money so not a big deal but what about families coming in with children and trying to save money. Not fair, not nice.

3 Thank Linda H
Linda H.,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us and our future travelers feedback, and although it wasn’t a perfect experience I want to ensure you that we take your feedback for improvement very seriously. I will be having a talk with my team on the proper attitude and their general guest service.

In regards to your specific issue, the resort amenity fee, I want to thank you for your suggestions and for the information you provided to our TripAdvisor readers. We do our best to post the fee and disclose it at every step of the reservation process. When booking online it is quoted on the first rate screen, the rate breakdown of the reservation screen, again on the reservation review screen and lastly on the confirmation. When booking through our reservations team it should be quoted during every step of the reservation process and is well notated on all email confirmations. We never want to hide it or disguise it in any way and I’m sorry for the confusion.

The biggest advantage to the resort fee for our guests is that it adds a much better value to a few of the great amenities of our property. As you mentioned, the Westin Workout, pool and Wi-Fi are all included but so is our valet parking and our local shuttle service to the Downtown Napa area. The Wi-Fi, Valet and shuttle can often total well over $60 each day at many properties in the area.

Thank you again for the review and we’ll hope to see you again at some point in the near future.

El Paso
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very nice, clean rooms. Very good price. Highly recommended. I loved the concierge/valet/maid/bar service. Beautiful pool and great wine service at Happy Hour. I did not have any bad experience while I stayed here. Oh, and they have great grapefruit juice. :-)

1 Thank David E
Thank you for the great review and detailed feedback about the property and your stay. Our Unwind/Happy Hour is one of my favorite amenities of the property and is great bonus for our guests.

We’ll hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We just spent 2 nights here in January. Wine tastings at night, massages available and super concierge staff make it a terrific place to stay while in Napa. Walking distance to most restaurants in the city center. The hotel lobby is very lively and yet the rooms are very peaceful and quiet. We had a deluxe suite with mini kitchen. Beds are soooo comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
This sounds like a spectacular trip and thank you for sharing the review. I would agree that we are in a good location to walk around town and although we can have a lively lobby our rooms are typically a great place for peace and quiet.

Thank you again and we’ll look forward to seeing you again soon.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We were moving from Seattle to Phoenix with our two cats and when we found out the movers were delayed we decided to take a few extra days in Napa to relax. I chose the Westin based on their reputation and the fact that they allowed pets. The hotel is in a wonderful location in Napa. It is a lovely property as well. Upon arriving we were greeted by fantastic bellmen who continued an extraordinary level of service throughout our stay. Unfortunately, that is where the good experience ended. We checked into a 1 bedroom suite. The girl at the front desk was informed that our stay was prepaid by my boyfriend's new company. She acknowIeged this fact and took our personal card for incidentals. Upon arriving in the suite, I was surprised to find a used bathrobe behind the door that had apparently been overlooked along with some previous guest's hair. This is not up to Westin standards so I called to have it removed. I then attempted to put some things in the small refrigerator. I was surprised to find it very warm even though it was turned up and then a bit disgusted to find a hair inside. Regardless we settled in, I had laundry sent out and we headed to BANK cafe for dinner. (a bit of an unprofessional experience there but that's another review) Upon returning we found that not only had the hotel billed us for incidentals, but had incorrectly billed us for the entire stay AND a reservation that had previously been cancelled when we changed our trip plans. Unfortunately, this caused a snowball problem with bank charges, other stuff not going through...etc. etc. It basically wiped out the bank account with our personal trip money. We informed the front desk and were told to be in our room at 9pm and they would send up a bottle of wine as an apology. At 9pm we waited and waited....finally we called down (apparently they had forgotton) and they finally had it sent up. Still not impressed. We put a breakfast request menu on the door and headed to bed. My boyfriend (who was greatly looking forward to sleeping in) had to get up early the next morning to have a conference call with another manager and the bank to try and rectify the situation. He was surprised to find the menu still on the door that morning. (no one had ever picked it up, even though it was out there by 10:00, in plenty of time) Hoping to have the bank issue solved we got ready for an afternoon of wine tasting. We were told upon check-in that the thermostat was on a default and if we wanted to override it to call. It was a bit warm for me so before leaving we called to have it changed. We waited and waited. Finally I called down to find out where they were and found that because we had the do not disturb sign on the door (we were told to keep in on because we have pets and didn't want anyone in there without us) the maintenance man turned back around and left without even knocking. Even though I had JUST SAID it was ok to come up. I was a bit perturbed because it had already been an hour of waiting when we wanted to go. So...we waited and he was sent back up. Upon checking it he told us that "No, there is no override, just set it to what you want". Sheesh....all that waiting for nothing. So, trying to improve our mood, we set out to do some wine tasting. Upon returning I found that the thermostat had indeed defaulted to the original setting and it was too warm. Apparently you do have to override it after all. I also found that the refrigerator that I had turned up to the coldest setting was still warm. Apparently broken. I also noticed that our laundry (guaranteed to be back by now) was not there. I called down and was informed that they did not deliver it because we had a do not disturb sign on the door. Ok, I know this but couldn't you at least call our room and let us know it's in??? At this point we were exasperated and I decided to not call anyone about the refrigerator because we didn't want to wait and wait on maintenance again and be further inconvenienced by having them in our room for awhile. Unfortunately we also found that the bank issue had not been resolved. A manager gave us a discount card for food at the hotel. A bit concerned about our budget at this point we nixed the idea of going out and ordered room service instead. I ordered the scallops and was terribly disappointed to find them very overcooked, chewy and tasteless. They did take them off the bill but I ended up eating french fries because it was late at this point and I didn't want to wait any longer. The following morning I ordered a smoothie and what the menu said was "assorted hot tea". When it arrived the hot tea was ONE teabag...the same teabag that was already in my room. I was expecting (as at other hotels) a wide assortment of hot teas to choose from. $5 for something I could have done myself. They had a limited menu and after this experience we opted not to eat from room service or the restaurant again while at the hotel so that discount card really didn't help at all. Again, my boyfriend was prevented from sleeping in the second morning because he had to be up early trying to resolve the bank issue.. Still, it wasn't resolved and we had to wait around the hotel instead of going out waiting for a fed-ex package of emergency funds that was sent by his company. When we finally checked out the following day we reflected on what was supposed to be a very relaxing pause in a stressful cross-country move with pets but instead it was one of the most stressful and disappointing times on our trip. At check out we were greeted by the front desk girl who asked us how everything was. (!!!) They didn't even bother to put a note on our account? We asked for the manager and after explaining the situation and requesting to have all charges removed she did "erase" our stay. We had an incredibly long day of driving ahead of us. Unfortunately we still had to hang around till noon while they tried to resolve the bank account issue putting our driving for the day well into the dark. Another inconvenience. Ultimately the bank issue was resolved (after checking out) and we were offerred a complimentary stay at the hotel before June of 2013. Up until this point I had never stayed in a Westin. I was impressed by the bellmen, the location and what is a lovely property. The other service was horrendous however, unacceptable and far below what I expected from the Westin's reputation. The managers did the right thing by comp-ing our stay and offering us another complimentary stay. For that I applaud them. I want to assume this was an isolated incident and somehow we were part of the perfect storm of bad events. Of course we never should have had to go back to "try" for a good experience but at least we have that. I will keep you posted on our future experience. It really couldn't be worse but I hope this time, to be fully impressed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BLBTraveler
Thank you for the feedback and I’m sorry this situation escalated to the level that it did. I can only imagine the frustration that you all experienced and from my email correspondents with your boyfriend I believe that everything has been resolved.

We can’t wait to see you on your future stay and I can ensure you that your next stay will be a much more relaxing and rejuvenating trip.

Please let me know if there is anything else we may be able to assist with and we’ll see you soon.

Service Express Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
Best Western Plus Elm House Inn
Bardessono
Bardessono
#2 of 6 in Yountville

Been to The Westin Verasa Napa? Share your experiences!