“The best Westin property”

The Westin Verasa Napa
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Overall this is the best Westin I have ever stayed at. Even though I booked the room priceline, I was upgraded to a gorgeous suite. The property is cozy and extremely quite. The location does leave a little to be desired. Best SPG in wine country.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 1, 2012

Thank you for the great review and we’ll hope to see you back on your next trip to the Napa Valley and wine country!

Reviewed June 28, 2012

The Westin is a beautiful property and we enjoyed three nights in a very clean one bedroom/two bath unit on the third floor with a large balcony overlooking the pool. Our check-in was quick and friendly. We were told that the $20 resort fee covered valet parking, the exercise room and free wi-fi in the room. We parked directly in front of the hotel on the street, which was very convenient and secure. We did not use the exercise room. No matter what we tried or who we called there was no wi-fi in our room, the response was "there should be". Really tired of resort fees, just add it to the rate.

We had to call and with no response, we had to ask housekeeping in the hallway for bedding to make the sofa bed ourselves. The reservation was for three adults, do you suppose they thought we were all sleeping in the king bed? The kitchen was lovely and equipped with enough dishes however no detergent for dishwashing and no paper towels.

At check-in they ask you to exchange housekeeping for Starwood points. In retrospect that was not a good idea. They do not have to pay housekeeping, you still get charged the same rate, and nothing in the room gets replenished or wastebaskets emptied.

The location is within easy walking distance to Oxbow Market. Many places to eat at Oxbow, Farmer's Market on Tuesday mornings, and a great bakery next to Oxbow. You can also walk to downtown Napa however there were many empty stores, very little shopping.

It is an easy drive to St. Helena and I would suggest V. Sattui winery as a nice place to stop. You can purchase lunch here and picnic on their grounds. Across the street is Sutter Home with free wine tasting. The Culinary Institute is a little further and interesting. The drive to Lake Berryessa was about 18 miles of winding road and absolutely nothing when we got there as far as beach or anything except a boat launch. Lovely hills and vineyards to look at though.

If this is the location where you want to stay then I would definitely recommend the Westin. It could be five stars if they paid a little more attention to the small details. Overall very nice and clean.

Room Tip: Third floor, overlooking the pool was a great location.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Sacramento7
Management response:Responded July 1, 2012

Thank you for all the feedback and good advice for future travelers. I’d also like to apologize for the details that were missed during your recent stay. We take feedback and Trip Advisor very seriously and the details are what really help. I’d like to address a your 2 primary areas of concern, housekeeping and the resort fee.

It sounds like you selected the “Make a Green Choice” program at check in but the program wasn’t explained as well as it should have been. The idea around the program is to provide the guest with compensation for electing not to have their room serviced during their stay. The compensation is presented in the form of a voucher that is slipped under your door each night and is valid for $5 of food and beverage credit or it can be turned in at the time of check out for 500 Starpoints per voucher. The program is designed to not only save money but reduce water usage, power usage, cleaning chemicals along with a verity of other environmental savings.

The other concern you brought up was the resort fee. This is also designed to save money for the majority of our guests but it does depend on how it’s used. We try to avoid nickel and diming each reservation by combining all hotel amenities into one easy to identify and understandable charge but I do understand where your frustration steamed from.

Thank you again for all the details you provided about the area, the hotel, the service and we’ll hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed at this property for a business conference. The location is not great near downtown Napa, but the view from the pool area and facing rooms is of the mountains. There are many restaurants within walking distance, but the drive to the nicer areas of the valley is about 15 minutes. The room was clean, understated, pool view, and had plenty of space. The staff was very helpful although we spoke to 3 different concierge personal and none of them had much knowledge of the valley's restaurants and wineries. I enjoyed my stay here, but would stay in St. Helena if traveling on vacation. There is no spa in the hotel and the workout facility is minimal.

Room Tip: ask for a pool view
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Thank you for the review and the feedback and I will agree that if someone is looking for a hideaway, tranquil resort; just north of Napa, from Yountville to Calistoga is a better location to stay.

That being said if you are more interested in walking distance to some of the best restaurants in the world, (La Toque, Morimoto, Oenotri, etc.) tasting rooms, the Oxbow Market and the world famous Wine Train, than our property is about as good as it gets. We are just outside of the main bustle of down town and as mentioned have some great mountain and river views from the back side of the property.

I would also like to apologize for the concierge service that you received. We take our concierge services very seriously because they do play such a huge role in a guests visit to the Napa valley. I have spoken to the our team and we are not 100% clear on what may have happened but I would encourage you to reach out to our Lead Concierge, Royce Ann Hawkins, undoubtedly one of the best concierge’s of the Napa valley, during any future visits to the area.

We do hope to see you again and be well,

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I have a had great experiences here in the past and frequently recommend this hotel to people visiting the wine country. I have also had amazing meals at Toque.

But this stay was poor. The employees are not empowered to serve loyal customers.

It started with check in. As a platinum member I always get some kind of room upgrade. All upgraded rooms have refrigerators and kitchenettes. Because they could not provide an upgrade, I asked for a small fridge for the room, which they could not provide. At other Starwood propertied I am always offered a late checkout upon my check-in. Here they not only did not offer it, when I asked they refused and told me it wasn't possible (even though they put me in the lowest and most plentiful room class).
At breakfast the next morning, we were told that our platinum amenity was for two $16.50 continental breakfasts. Almost all other properties will allow you to pay to upgrade your breakfast or apply the $16.50 to what you ordered. Not here. No changes, no substitutions. No oatmeal. Nothing hot. Even if it costs less than $16.50. Well, unless you are the table next to us, and you go to the front desk and complain until they relent. We had already finished our breakfast by the time all of this occurred- but it really points to a lack of a can-do customer service attitude for Starwood's very best and most loyal clientele (people who stay 50+ nights a year!). We have had marvelous dinners at Toque before, but the service at Bank at both breakfast and lunch was poor and inattentive. The food, however was quite good. To the hotel's credit, after a lot of complaining to multiple staff members about all of these problems, some effort was made to correct the damage. But the problems point to systemic issues in training and customer service at this property.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank RyanL99
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Thank you for the feedback and I’d like to apologize for the various issues that you encountered during your recent stay with us. As a Platinum member I can understand how and why it would be frustrating to not receive the almost guaranteed and standard upgrade at least one room category. Then to compound the issue, not be granted the other benefits associated with being one of Starwood and SPG’s most elite members would surly make for a less than memorable stay.

We do our best to upgrade all elite level SPG members, but there are times when it’s more difficult than others. Being a resort property, our location and size makes it difficult to upgrade all of high level members. During our busier times, weekends, holidays and various summer weeks we simply don’t have any rooms to upgrade and are 100% sold out. Another factor is that our hotel occupancy is typically 80%+ SPG guests adding more people deserving of an upgrade than an average Starwood hotel’s, 40%-45% SPG guests.

I, by no means, want to justify poor to mediocre service, and we will be using your thoughts and complaints to help our processes and associates become more effective and better at servicing our guests. I will also be passing along your thoughts to our F&B team to figure out a better solution and answer for what you experienced with the continental breakfast.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at the Westin Verasa for valentine's day weekend and enjoyed the lovely hotel. the concierge was very friendly and the staff was exceptional as well. Our room was very clean and we loved how comfy the bed was. The only draw back was that the front desk staff was a tad disorganized with our room reservation but to make up for it they gifted us dinner vouchers as well as a bottle of champagne. We took a wine tours while we were there and we loved it!! We would go back :)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Thank you for feedback and for providing the details from your check in. It sounds like my front desk staff had a bad start but was able to make sure that your issues were resolved and that your experience was greatly improved.

We’d love to have you back on your next visit to Napa and hopefully it’s sooner than later.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here in May 2012 over Memorial Day Weekend during our first trip to Napa Valley. From the moment we drove up, to the time we checked out it was an A+ all around. Every employee we dealt from all parts of the hotel (Valet, Concierge, Front Desk, Housekeeping, Bartenders, Waiters) were so friendly and attentive. Any question we had was always answered promptly from where to go for dinner, how to get somewhere, or what wineries to visit. The property was very clean and had everything we neeeded. One of the best parts was the wine tasting every evening in the lobby form a different vineyard. We had a pool view and in some of the other reviews they said it was a bit noisy but we never had an issue with noise. Breakfast in the morning was delicious and hanging out at the bar for drinks after a long day was a great end to the night. Walking distance of downtown Napa and Oxbow Market. Everything in the valley was driveable even though it was down at the bottom but was a beautiful drive everyday up the silverado trail or 29. Would definitely stay here again and we do recommend!

Room Tip: I recommend a pool view. Some other people stated it was noisy in their reviews but we didn't h...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review and it sounds like an amazing trip. We love to hear about your experiences with our associates and I’m glad we were able to make a memorable impression not only with the property and the area but more so with our service.

Also a very good perk to the property is, as you pointed out, our Unwind Nightly Ritual. We have a different winery represented 7 days a week with paired tapas from the La Toque kitchen. This is a great way to end the day after an adventure through the Napa Valley.

We’ll look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Everyone that my girlfriend and I came across were extremely helpful and cordial. After settling into our room (which was nicely appointed), I stopped by the Bank Café & Bar and was given amazing service by Bobby. I was very impressed with his ability to run a clean and well organized bar. We then needed dinner reservations as well as recommendations to a nice restaurant that evening so we went to the concierge where Christopher assisted us in finding an amazing restaurant, showed us menu samples and provided transportation via the house car to and from Angele. Eugene was at the top of his game as well and even helped by recommending that we stop by the Chefs Market which was fun to walk through. He also assisted us in calling to have our reservation pushed back a bit. It was an amazing stay and I will definitely be joining you once again when I visit the region.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

Thank you for the great feedback and recognition!

I will be passing along your thoughts and praise to the various departments and staff members and we’ll hope to see you back again soon.

Service Express Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#2 of 6 in Yountville
Embassy Suites by Hilton Napa Valley

Been to The Westin Verasa Napa? Share your experiences!