“Unbelievably Rude!!!!!”
Review of Pine Ridge Winery

Pine Ridge Winery
Ranked #15 of 205 things to do in Napa
More attraction details
Owner description: With meticulous attention to detail and a knowledge developed over 30 years of continuity, Pine Ridge Vineyards produces hand-crafted Chardonnays and Bordeaux blends that showcase 225 acres of estate vineyards across the Napa Valley. Poised and balanced, these finely-crafted wines reflect a distinctly classic style, serving as an elegant complement to food today or aging gracefully into the future.Visit us in the heart of Napa Valley's Stags Leap district to taste our award-winning wines, schedule a tour of our Cabernet caves or a food and wine pairing seminar, or have us host your next business event.
Reviewed September 22, 2008

We had a very bad experience here. We were in Napa as part of our honeymoon, and had visited a couple of the larger ‘more commercial’ vineyards, so we decided to visit a smaller vineyard also. When we arrived at Pine Ridge there were two other couples tasting (very quiet during the week). We selected our tasting options, and the pourer then poured our wine and basically told us as much info that was on the label - nothing more. So we were asking very basic questions about the wine, and the vineyard, really just trying to make conversation since we don’t know much about wine and the pourer wasn’t forthcoming with info. His response was to turn to his fellow pourer and try to say quietly something along the lines of “these [people] have no idea what they are drinking” to which his fellow pourer laughed and made some other quip along the lines of “you can get the tasting finished quickly then.” I called the pourer out on what he said, we finished our wine and left. I now wish I had not paid the $50 this experience cost me.

Maybe this attitude is acceptable in Napa and people like us should stick to the larger vineyards. So my advice is, do NOT go here if you are a trying to learn about wine and have a nice time doing it.

Advice to Pine Ridge, if you're going to badmouth your less knowledgeable customers, do it out of earshot.

10  Thank Itsnottoolate
"exceptional service"
"private tasting"
"beautiful grounds"

Reviewed April 28, 2007

The wine was good, however when they didn't offer to comp the $15 tasting fee with purchase, we were turned off. The tasting room was overcrowded without enough staff so we felt rushed. We did purchase a bottle, but probably would have purchased more if they'd comped the tasting or were more one on one.

4  Thank ellykay555
Reviewed April 26, 2007

I've been visiting Pine Ridge Winery for over 4 years - it's the one place I make a point to take all visitors to. While the winery's popularity has grown tremendously over the past 4 years, the service has always remained the same....excellent! Always greeted with a smile and never pretentious...no matter what "stupid" question I ask. It's also nice to see the same faces over the years. I've done the cave tour many times as well as the culinary classes, and my personal favorite the Lobsterfest. Each time I visit the winery I learn something new and my appreciation for wine and the Napa valley grows.

I feel strongly about responding to the review that compared and touted the Cakebread tour...I have been on that tour at least three times have been disappointed every time. You would think that having to make a reservation (tours are supposedly by appointment only) means that they would be prepared for you....not the case. My experiences have been as follows: they had multiple tours going at once where you "bumped" into the other group, the group size was too big, the tour guide was not knowledgealbe. I cringe when I have a visitor come to the area and ask if we can visit Cakebread Cellars.

It's really a matter of opinion and taste...for me Pine Ridge has been a more personalized and intimate experience, rather than the "part of herd" experience. Do make sure to call ahead and make a reservation for any of the tours or classes- it's always best.

Oh yeah, I also love their wines!!!!

1  Thank epitome
Reviewed October 8, 2006

After reading the previous response (although dated from back in January) I had to write about my visit last week. First, we did have an appointment (as we did with the other 3 tours we did on our trip - each appointment a must). Everyone we came in contact with was nothing less than friendly and happy to see us. As for the remark about someone walking around in sandles through the caves - Joe was dressed very well and was an extremely knowledgable person. It was by far the most imformative tour we went on. Their wine is wonderful - the only wine club we joined. We did have cheese/crackers with our tasting (some very good cheeses). You can go in and do just a tasting here if you're not interested in the $20 tour. The previous post compared this to Cakebread - another good winery. However, they also require a reservation. They were booked the entire time of our stay and I was told I couldn't come w/out a reservation. At least Pine Ridge will let you in to taste. I think that as popular as the wineries have become they have to require tour reservations. As for Pine Ridge, we will return every chance we get -with reservations.

3  Thank SherriLR
See more reviews
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed January 7, 2006

Regrettably, This winery which I have enjoyed for years, has taken a downturn. on 1/8/06, I was taking some friends from out of town thru Napa to visit a number of wineries. This was not a usual wine tasting vacation tour, but was a business trip meant for those involved to sample some specific business practices and appreciate how different wineries can market and present themselves.

For myself, I have lived in the area for years, and own a small vineyard of my own. I am no stranger to either the winery or vineyard business. I had expressly picked Pine Ridge for my guests to see as an example of an integrated relationship of a top quality wine that matches with their presentation and style.

With this as the backdrop, we entered the winery a few minutes before 2 pm, a time of traditional tour availability. We certainly understand if there is no tour or if it is booked, it was a matter of us being behind schedule, however, as we entered, we were greeted by a hostess whom upon hearing our request, replied in an insulting an condensending manner that there was no tour unless booked in advance. This is fine of course, however, they went on, speaking and raising their voices as if some how we were stupid. Speaking loudly, they kept saying .. "Go to the Big Wineries in Hwy 29", over and over, as if we were some idiots. They went on to say, that "Sorry, we are touring Havard Business students thru the winery, we are closed for tours". Gee... I didn't know you needed to be from Harvard... I am sorry, I only attended UC Berkeley.. forgive me...

This is the sad part. I was not there seeking anything more than a good conversation regarding some of the features of their business and an observation of how they work. Things that previously, Pine Ridge would have been proud of.. Unfortunately, Pine Ridge now seems so enamoured with themselves, they have lost sight if what makes working and producting a great product something to share and be proud of.

I would recommend to anyone to contract this with a visit to Cakebread Cellars. Here, you can have a chance to walk, meet, and talk with Jack Cakebread, you can learn about the processes, and you can also enjoy a great quality wine and experience, but without the attitude. In contrast, Cakebread Cellars also has a program for MBA's.. however, in this program, they are not wandering thru wine caves in sandals, they are working in the vineyards and in the winery. also, Cakebread sponsors and works with inner city kids in Oakland thru the "K.I.P.P" "Knowledge Is Power Program". So, I suggest taking a pass at a poor attitude, and visit a place where you will be treated well.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member