Open today: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Excellent experience

This was excellent and exceeded our expectations. The entire experience was meticulously organised... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
profpcr
London, United Kingdom
via mobile
Beautiful Train, Beautiful Views, Beautiful People!

I was just in town for a concert and decided to spend the day in Napa. I was going down the walking... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Yoshiyahu D

Recommended experiences in and around Napa
from $125.00
from $129.69
from $309.00
from $125.00
5,201 results
All reviews vista dome dining car dome car napa valley legacy tour gourmet lunch lunch trip beef tenderloin corkage fee gourmet express creme brulee main course course meal charles krug grgich hills the wait staff our waiter
Selected filters
Reviewed July 12, 2019 via mobile

If you’re still reading this, I’ll elaborate. To be fair, our family of 3 with teen enjoyed the ride and had a lovely time. But compared to the winery visits we later did ourselves, this train ride fell waaaay down the list. Especially, considering the price tag. It was not just the wine and alcohol that cost extra. Soft drinks also were additional to the price. Service staff needs training.

We couldn’t get off the train to visit the big winery stops. The AC or the generator onboard had issues and we stayed on a stationary train for about 15 min just waiting.

The service was VERY basic and our trip started with the waiter not able to find our name and we had to deal with the uncertainty of whether we needed to move for the first leg of the trip. It was very uncomfortable the whole time because our waiter told us not to get too comfortable and we might get moved around. Not the kind of experience one would expect on an experience trip.

The meal cart experience was just as basic. Our main waiter had difficulties paying attention, everything was short this and that like a command. We’re on a wine train, dude! Relax. I’m not at a fast food joint.

Save your time and money. This is not the experience most winery visitors would enjoy. We learned so much more and had more included wine for $25 discovery tour at Robert Modavi’s winery for 30 minutes the next day.

10  Thank PingPangPong
Reviewed July 12, 2019

A bit skeptical when my wife booked it, but it is an awesome 6 hours. Everything was on time and food was prepared perfectly.

Date of experience: June 2019
1  Thank TheFazios
Reviewed July 9, 2019 via mobile

One would think if you've spent $$$ for a ride with a meal, a glass of wine would be included -not so. We became aware of that as we were waiting for the train to arrive. We were able to purchase a bottle at the station but had to pay a $20.00 corkorage fee on board. The wine moguls have right control in Napa Valley. PS, the food was good.

1  Thank Angela G
Reviewed July 8, 2019

I purchased a ticket via Costco last December and my wife and I finally were able to book a trip for the second week in July. It was worth the wait.

Yes, the wine on the trip was a bit pricey, but that is what you would expect, and it was good. The staff is helpful and enthusiastic, and the food was excellent. I had the salmon and it was one of the best salmon filets I ever have eaten. We also had the salad, which was very good.

The landscape on the trip is quite varied. The first part takes you through the "working" section of Napa, and I was glad to see regular people doing their jobs, and it reminded me that no matter how "exclusive" a community might seem to be, it still involves people to make everything work. Once we were out in the countryside, we saw the vineyards and it is amazing to see miles and miles of them, and I only can imagine the agricultural science behind everything we were seeing.

The train car itself is comfortable (as was the dining car) and I will say that it was the nicest bathroom I ever have seen on a train (and I have been on trains all over the world). It moves at a leisurely pace, which adds to the whole feel of the trip.

Is it a "value" trip? No, but we weren't expecting an inexpensive, out-of-the way excursion. This is the Napa Wine Train, for goodness sakes, and nothing in Napa is cheap. This is the special trip, the special date that you do with your partner because you are looking to relax and enjoy world-famous vineyards from the comfort of a padded train seat.

In reading a few of the negative reviews, I see that some are describing the WHINE Train. Sorry, but this was the Wine Train, and it was a wonderful experience that my wife and I hope to be able to share with friends down the road.

1  Thank Anderwl53
Reviewed July 8, 2019 via mobile

First, the train is great! When we sat down in the dining car, we both felt like it was a scene out of Agatha Christie’s Poirot. The food and wine were excellent and we just loved the setting. Then, we visited the Charles Krug and the Raymond Vinyards wineries for tours and tastings. In both cases the guides were wonderful and clearly love their jobs. The wine was excellent and plentiful. It was a great experience!

2  Thank Douglas M