Open today: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Excellent experience

This was excellent and exceeded our expectations. The entire experience was meticulously organised... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
profpcr
London, United Kingdom
via mobile
Beautiful Train, Beautiful Views, Beautiful People!

I was just in town for a concert and decided to spend the day in Napa. I was going down the walking... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Yoshiyahu D

Recommended experiences in and around Napa
from $125.00
from $129.69
from $309.00
from $125.00
5,201 results
All reviews vista dome dining car dome car napa valley legacy tour gourmet lunch lunch trip beef tenderloin corkage fee gourmet express creme brulee main course course meal charles krug grgich hills the wait staff our waiter
Selected filters
Reviewed April 17, 2019 via mobile

A+++++ 5 Star Service 5 Star Food Beautiful view of Winery’s , Great tasting wines and food would highly advise trip in Napa.

1  Thank wayne j
Reviewed April 17, 2019 via mobile

We loved our wine train tour. Fabulous lunch! Great sites! Would do it again. Service was impeccable. They even brought us delicious snacks since we had picked the late lunch. Elegant train that reminded me of the days of luxury train travel.

1  Thank Ellyn B
NVWTRG, Guest Relations Manager at Napa Valley Wine Train, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2019

We are so excited to read you had a great trip! We hope you'll visit us again the next time your travels bring you to the Napa Valley.

Reviewed April 17, 2019

Hello,

This is feedback based from our experience from last evening‘s dome dinner.

This is our fifth time on the NAPA wine train. Four times have been in the dome. One time was in the lounge car. We are returning customers because we enjoyed past experiences that much and have referred many friends. However if last night had been our first experience we would never return again.

I booked this reservation in February and requested a quiet area. Being on the dome car four times prior I wanted to be sat away from the prep area. I knew what to request to enhance our evening. It’s not often we get away from our toddler on a date night.

Upon entering the dome car, we were asked our name, then seated at the closest table to the prep area. A moment later she we asked to see our ticket. Turns out another couple who was a few groups behind us had a very similar last name. Rather than giving them their correct table and moving us to our correct table, the other couple was seated in our issued table D02. I asked the waitress if that was supposed to be our table as I requested a quiet area. She said “oh all the tables are quiet in this car.” I should have stood my ground because I was very familiar with the dome car. She was covering a second shift and had never worked in the dome car before. I think we were sat in D07 or 08. Right next to cashier area.

To be honest, had she placed us at our correct table (D02) our whole experience would have turned out completely different, minus the menu. I will get to that later.

The waitress was covering a second shift. She had never worked the dome car before. I inquired on an item on the menu. She had to walk away to get an answer. No fault of her own. She was completely unfamiliar with the menu. However as customers paying $500 that is not something found favorable.

The couple directly across from us had to have their table light changed in the middle of dinner. Again, due to the $500 cost not a favorable incident.

This is not the NAPA wine train‘s fault however an Asian cup couple was seated directly behind us in the table for two. They obviously needed a room because they could not keep their hands off each other. They continuously sat on each other’s laps making out. It distracted everybody who sat around them. The only other tables available we’re also two seaters. It became a joke on the train.

Of all our visits the menu was the worst. I know menus change often. But this menu I would have never paid that amount of money for.

As mentioned before we have referred many friends. I checked in on Facebook we were on the train and mentioned a date night. Of course several friends inquired on the experience thinking they may do it in the near future. I have to say my response was negative which is quite unfortunate.

Booking #32265209
4/13/19 @ 6:30pm - 9:30pm

5  Thank LillisaJoy

We were so disapointed to read how unhappy your trip was while you were in our care. Know that we value you as our guest and we want to make this right. If you could reach out to us at your earliest convience my direct line is 707.251.5212 we'd like to make this right for you. Look forward to speaking to you soon.

Reviewed April 17, 2019

We had started our journey from Australia to US with flight changes, delays, hire car problems and massive traffic delays from SF to Napa. We were tired, dirty and grumpy on our arrival in Napa. We arrived much later than planned so didn't have time for a sleep prior to the train. However, once we stepped onto the train and our waitress Gaby started to look after us, our entire day turned around. Gaby was so friendly, helpful and cheery. We know we would not have had such a great time if Gaby hadn't started our evening off right.

As for the rest of the evening, the food was extremely delicious (the halibut was a bit dry, but still tasty) and the wine pairings went exceptionally well with the food. One of the best things about the Vista Dome is that you can see the sunset without any obstruction. Unfortunately, the sunset was extraordinarily ordinary, but everything else about the evening was spectacular. We'd done the Wine Train before in a normal carriage during the day, which was also good, and if we're ever back in the area we'll do it again. Absolutely recommend this adventure.

Just an aside.......trying to get a drink in the station prior to boarding the train was difficult. The staff seemed untrained and disorganised.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank Jamnic M

Wow what a start to your vacation! We are so glad Gaby was able to turn your day around. We will be sure to share your kind words with her.

Our Team takes great pride in providing excellent customer service so it's nice to know we did a good job. Thank you so much for your feedback in regards to the areas we can improve we will be sure to share this with our Team.

We know our guests have many choices to make when they come to Napa and we are happy that you choose to spend your time with us.

We will look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to the Napa Valley.

Reviewed April 16, 2019

We did the gourmet lunch, and it is very good, but be advised that wine is not included in that huge price you are paying. I think for the price, I can get a much better dinner at a good Napa restaurant. However, I think you are paying for the train ride, and it really is a nice experience. I just will not do this again. Once is enough, at this price.

2  Thank Leila C

We are so sorry you were disapointed with us. You are correct a good portion of the train ticket does go toward preserving the railroad and our 100 year old Pullman cars.

Though the package you selected may not have included wines we do offer many great packages that are all inclusive that you may have enjoyed more.

If you come back to Napa from June - October we offer a really fun Beer Train that is a casual atmosphere with an open air car and small bites that travels 2 hours round trip. This package is an incredible value and very popular.

We hope that you will reconsider joining us another time for one of our other offerings.