“Walking in the Santa Rosa Plateau”

Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Murrieta
El Dorado County, CA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Walking in the Santa Rosa Plateau”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Every time I visit the Temecula area, I make a point of going to the Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve. I take a back pack with me filled with fresh fruit and water and I walk a different hiking path each time I visit. When I stay in the area for an extended time, I visit Santa Rosa Plateau at least once a week.
I recommend this place for any person, friends, family or groups that are visiting the area. It's beautiful, well maintained, informative and educational and just plain fun.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Vic S

Murrieta, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A "must-see" for visitors to the Murrieta / Temecula area.”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Visitors to the Reserve can walk to the two oldest standing structures in Riverside County that once served as bunkhouses for cowboys dating back to 1846. The Moreno and Machado Adobes are shaded by a 400-year-old tree and separated by a relaxing, one-of-a-kind, picnic area. These structures are popular hiking destinations for visitors.

The Reserve consists of 9000 acres. The land has been set aside to protect unique ecosystems like Engelmann oak woodlands, riparian wetlands, coastal sage scrub, chaparral, bunchgrass prairie, vernal pools and more than 200 species of native birds and 49 endangered, threatened or rare animal and plant species, including mule deer, mountain lions, badgers, bobcats, western pond turtles, white-tailed kites and fairy shrimp. Two species of fairy shrimp live in the seasonal vernal pools on the Reserve, but only one is found here and nowhere else on Earth.

If you LOVE the outdoors, do not miss the opportunity to visit here.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank JimDunaway
Buena Park, California
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Great nature hikes, hidden Indian finds and lots of animals to see and explore”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Love hiking here. wonderful trail that are well kept offers many varieties of skill levels. The different seasons offers completely different experiences. In the summer I love snake hunting but year round bird watching is amazing. Giant wild oak are abundant and provide plenty of shady retreats. The visitor center in great for showing people what the kind find from the different kinds of animals that reside in the reserve along with the native Indians that used to live here. The river bed and stream that is at the center of the park is great for kids to look for frogs or find salamanders. I can go on with hundreds of things to see here. Over the years you can see the city getting closer and closer but still this place can make you feel far away from all you daily stresses..

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Michael S
Santee, California
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Awesome Day”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We were going to be in the Temecula are and looked around for something else to do while we were there. We found this place and so glad we did.

A very large hiking area with cleared paths and mostly easy walking. We only did a small portion as we were not prepared for what a large mass of land the trails were on. We parked at the furthest parking area that ended up being a 4 mile round trip hike to the old adobe buildings. There is not a ton of shade along the way but there is some and quite a few benched to sit on along the way if you need a rest.

There is no water out on the trail or restrooms. Make sure you have enough water and snacks before you head out and use the restrooms. I have to say the port-a-potty at this location was one of the nicest I had ever been in. Not as in fancy but was very clean and not one hint of any kind of odor.

We will be back again but want to wait for some rains to come our way to bring out more green and some flowers.

There is a small fee to hike here.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank 2travelersasof2001
Murrieta, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great palace to hike”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Been here a few times and love it. Love to hike and this place is great when you want an easy hike. Cleared paths make it easy and great for families with children. Short trails and long trail, you get to choose your length of trail. We hiked 3 miles from the main entrance to the 155 year old adobe houses which were awesome. Of course it was another 3 miles back but we had planned this hike ahead of time. Bring your camera. Lots of beautiful views.

Visited November 2013