“Wonderful Place for a quick getaway!”
Review of Victoria Inn

and 1 more site!
Victoria Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Murphys B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 5, 2009

I brought my husband to the Victoria Inn as a surprise for his birthday. When I reserved our stay, I booked the Tapestry room, one of the smaller and more affordable rooms. When we arrived, the Inn was pretty vacant (it was a Monday) so they so graciously upgraded us to the Wisteria Cottage...a HUGE upgrade! The room (or suite) was gorgeous and we were so grateful that they upgraded us. It made for a fantastic night! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and we loved how the Inn was located right in the heart of downtown. This is a fabulous hotel and we will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Victoria Inn

Reviewed March 27, 2009

We are repeat visitors at the Victoria Inn. This past January we stayed in the Veranda Room which was actually a couple of blocks from the inn itself. We were staying almost a week and were pleased to find a beautiful apartment with lots of light. There was a lovely balcony over looking the village. The kitchen was fully equipped with coffee and tea provided. The dining room table could easily seat 6 with additional seating at the kitchen counter. The bed was comfortable with nice linens, and great pillows. There was a roomy walk in closet, and a well lit bathroom with 2 sinks and a nice shower. It was a short walk to the inn each morning to enjoy the continental breakfast of scones, lox and bagles, yogurt, cereal, and fresh fruit. There is also a convenient computer station in the hotel where I was able to catch up on emails, and print boarding passes. The Verana Room was a great location for an extended stay, with plenty of parking behind the building. It is situated within walking distance of the local market., cute shops downstairs and close to great restaurants. The staff at the Inn are always very accomodating and friendly. We also enjoyed a fantastic lunch at the V Restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2008

The staff of this bed and breakfast are terrible. After a knock on the door to have the room cleaned, I yelled out nicely to come back later from the bathroom. This is a standand response in any hotel situation when you are not ready for the room to be cleaned. 20 minutes later as we are grabbing breakfast downstairs we hear the cleaning staff complaning about "the people in room 9" (us) that yelled at her and what seemed to be our problem. She proceeed to tell the front desk girl in the lobby and also another person working at the inn. All 3 of the staff laughing and discussing the situation. Not only did we heard her complain about us, paying and current hotel guests but another gentelman heard her openly complain as he sat in the small waiting room eating his breakfast. This was embarassing, unprofesional, indiscrete and nothing like Ive never seen anywhere else. In such a terrible economy, how anyone so rude and indiscrete has a job in hospitality is amazing to me. I would never stay here and and tell everyone I know going to Murphys about this experience.

Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tahoe08
Reviewed September 24, 2008

Just returned from a two day stay. Room 9 was small (that was OK) and much too noisy. It's balcony was above the place where food was delivered and garbage picked up. Could not sleep after 6 AM. Also the hotel ran out of milk for coffee and bagels in the morning. Staff was confused and not helpful. Wi-Fi was slow.

No personal touches at all.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 1776-1787
Reviewed September 21, 2008

We decided to stay in Murphys on the way from Yosemite to SFO airport, and after looking at reviews and The Victoria Inn’s website I made my decision to stay. We arrived the afternoon of the Tuesday after Labor Day. The Inn was very cute and very clean, and it’s located right on the Main Street. I decided to stay in the Tapestry room. I liked it, but it was small and if we were going to spend more than 1 night I would pick a larger room. Our room was very quiet and sitting out on the balcony was very quiet. Our cute little room had a tiny little balcony where we sat and enjoyed a bottle of Wine we purchased earlier that day from the Ironstone Winery. The woman working the front desk was able to get us (2) wine glasses and a corkscrew, which was so helpful. You’re able to walk to any of the tasting rooms, and restaurants. We were not able to eat the restaurant in the Inn as it was closed, as was the restaurant next to the Inn. The town was very quiet, and when I asked others in the town about it they said it was because the past weekend was a big weekend. I found out from someone in one of the tasting rooms I visited where the happening place in town for Tuesday night and that is where we ate diner, and the end of the evening we had a drink at the Murphy’s Hotel Bar. We woke up the next morning and there was one very impressive continental breakfast. There was everything you could possibly want such as, coffee, juice, yogurt, bagels,fresh fruit, scones, and some other selections I cannot remember. We ate well before our long drive to the airport. It was a very nice relaxing end to our very hectic Californian holiday. There was no TV in the room, which was not a big deal.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jerseyjenn
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We stayed at the Victoria Inn last month for a small family reunion. What a charming place!! I think I had probably the smallest room they have; Skyview, but it was with a bathroom almost bigger than the room itself!. What a treat....it was clean, cozy and utterly charming. Loved the clawfoot tub! My brother and his wife had the room right next door to me; Opi's Cabin, which was great!!. Staff was very friendly.....we could not ask for more. Breakfast in the morning was delicious, which we enjoyed on the outside terrace. Murphy's is a nice little town, and we have family living in the area and visit often, but have never stayed at the Victoria Inn. We will be back!! Thanks again for a fun weekend!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2008

One of the worst experiences in recent memory. I had specifically questioned the receptionist before booking about the noise in the rooms - asking for a quiet room. The room we were given (room 3) was directly over the noisy bar and restaurant and it was impossible to read, sleep or spend any time in the room until 11 pm at night. The HVAC system is ridiculous. You can't keep the windows open because of the noise. The thermostat to several rooms is a shared one in the upper hall. Since the hall never gets air conditioned because the room doors are closed, the AC runs all night instead of cycling. If you turn off the AC with the windows closed the room temperature rises to above 80, if you turn on the AC it runs continuously and you freeze to death despite heavy bed covers. Potentially you could have the battle of the guests as the rooms are alternatively sweltering or freezing and I could envision people lined up in the hall in their pajamas turning the thermostat either on or off. They could only change us to room 2 which is also over the lobby and shares the same problems. As I was discussing this with the receptionist, another guest complained that in room 11 she was awakened at 5 am from loud music coming from the adjacent Grounds restaurant kitchen. Many of the rooms overlook courtyards, patios or outdoor porches with the restaurants. You can't avoid the noise although the back rooms might be somewhat quieter (but room 11 is in the back and it had noise problems). We ended up walking the streets of Murphys and sitting on a street bench until 9:30 at night to avoid the noise of the room. This is a newer building but the design/construction problems (noise amplified up the lobby through the stairwell and the floor (which is the ceiling of the bar), the above mentioned AC problems, the reversed cold water valves resulting in non-standard use of the cold water tap in the sinks and showers - not good if you forget and end up scalding yourself turning the cold water off instead of on...), the placement of a bathtub in the room instead of a second chair (for a double room, having only one chair to sit on) are peculiar and annoying. The owner was receptive to our complaints, however. He stated that it was their practice to inform guests of the noise problem in the front rooms, however, that made me even more irritated since I had originally booked a room in a separate building across the alley that would have been quieter. Their booking staff had assured me that room 3 was as quiet as the originally booked room which is obviously not the case. He ended up refunding all of our room charges after we advised him that we would not be spending the third night of our reservation. He even had his receptionist call to see if other B&Bs had vacancies. The front rooms need to be converted to non-guest rooms unless the soundproofing is significantly improved. I was greatly disappointed since I had read other good reviews of the place. If you stay, NEVER accept the front rooms (2,3,4) or based on the other guest's comments (10,11). Our last night was marked by not only the laughter of drunken patrons at the bar, but when the bar finally closed, the screeching of tables across the floor as they were cleaning up. Then the noise of a coffee grinder or some other machine early in the morning as they were preparing breakfast (because you are also over the food prep area for breakfast). Argh!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cyssf2003
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murphys
Murphys Suites
#2 of 5 in Angels Camp
Jamestown Hotel
Jamestown Hotel
#1 of 5 in Jamestown

Been to Victoria Inn? Share your experiences!