“great place to stay”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Murphys
ohio
“great place to stay”
Reviewed January 16, 2009

We had such a good time. The rooms are very clean and the staff is great. They go to great lengths to help you find places to go and see. And great places to eat.
If your looking for a comfortable room this is the place to go.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank cinnamondrops

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Pleasanton
Reviewed July 6, 2008

Embarking on a last-minute roadtrip with a toddler on a holiday weekend has significant potential for disaster. Most hotels were booked, but I found this property online and gave them a call, not really having the utmost faith in places without online booking and comprehensive property views.

I was pleasantly surprised. The staff members that we dealt with were friendly and accommodating, even allowing us to check out *very* late to allow the little guy to take a nap, no hassle and no charge.

Fancy? No. Functional? Yes. It's not the Ritz, and there are undoubtedly more charming places to stay in the area, but when you're traveling with someone who's ready for bed at 7:30 PM, you'll go to the ends of the earth for a suite format so the entire family doesn't have to be lights-out before sunset.

The room was clean and functional, with a microwave and mini-fridge. There was free Wi-Fi and a delivery of muffins and OJ in the morning. The pool was small, but for a 21-month-old toddler, it was the coolest thing in the world.

• Liked — Suite format, not far from downtown, friendly staff
  • Disliked — It's a roadside motel an as such lacks a certain level of charm
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank AliB21
Antioch, California
Reviewed May 18, 2008

Don't let them book you in room 141 by the pool. Pool noise was not the problem. This room is also located next to the stairs. The bedroom in this suite is fine, but if you have a larger party like us (5 people) you would need to utalize the pullout bed. You will hear heavy foot traffic on the stairs all night long. Running, stomping back and forth. Also, there is an exit right near our door to the parking lot/pool. EVERY time this door closed, the slam would rattle our main suite door hard. This kept me up all night, along with the stair noise. This room just happened to be the last suite available for a party of 5 at the Murphy Inn which leads me to believe they are not new to hearing this complaint.

Remember, party of 5. We got 5 muffins and three oj's. Thanks, we had to pick which people got shortchanged. I don't feel like we should have to go to the desk and ask for this when it said on the tag attached to the breakfast that we were to get 5 drinks. Not really a big deal, but it adds to my annoyances.

Upon check out, I asked the desk clerk if they get alot of complaints about room 141. He said no........that's it. Never asked how our stay was or if there was there a problem.

The only way I would ever stay there again is if there was no other rooms availible anywhere else.

P.S. The chocolate muffins did rock.......tasted just like chocolate cake. The place was clean and the pool was most enjoyable. However, that doesn't really matter when you get NO sleep all night.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank Elle37
Reviewed December 31, 2007

I was happy to just come upon this hotel as I drove into town from Yosemite. It was very clean, roomy, and my bed was wonderful. The most important thing to me was that I felt safe, as I was a single woman traveling alone. They treated me like a local and I felt very comfortable there. I love the town and this hotel and will stay here everytime I come back until I buy something locally. Truly one of the most beautiful areas on earth (and I've traveled a lot..lot).

• Liked — They were very comfortable, well lite, and safe.
  • Disliked — That I had to leave.
  • Stayed March 2004, traveled solo
1 Thank Galileo321
Pleasanton
Reviewed October 21, 2007

What was anticipated to be a wonderful evening turned out to be a nighmare. We checked in around 9PM after a wonderful dinner in downtown Murphys. We got up to our room which seemed to be nice, clean, and quiet. Within the next hour that would change and what seemed to be a nice quiet hotel turned into "Animal House Extreme". It seems that a young wedding party was also staying at the hotel and litterally carried their party throughout the second floor. After 1.5 hours constant yelling by a young group of drunken people yelling profanities, we called down to the front desk to see if another nearby hotel might be available. I also asked the clerk at the front desk if they planned to do anything about the young revelers but was told that no one had complained. Assuming that the hotel was either entirely booked by the wedding "party" or that everyone else had the sleeping habits of a bear in hibernation, we decided to leave in the middle night and had to return to the bay area.

This experience literally runied our weekend and I would strongly recommend that you not stay at this hotel unless you are interested in drinking and yelling all night long.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Noisy, lound, and disrespectful guests!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Traveler21544
Sonora
Reviewed September 15, 2007

One of the only places with availability at the last minute (two day advance notice). Room was clean except for some black mold on the ceiling of the shower. The floor of the shower was sticky feeling. Beds were too hard, but everything else was very nice. Granite counter tops were a nice touch. Was about a 2 block walk to downtown Murphys. Room was quite at night. Spa was nice and the pool a little too chilly. Would stay again if first two choice places were full.

• Liked — Spacious rooms, quiet.
  • Disliked — Little pricey.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank timslady
Benicia, Ca
Reviewed July 4, 2007

Because we booked late for a special events weekend, the only room available was a 2 room suite, which was a lot bigger than the 2 of us needed. However, it was nice having all that room! This is a great place to stay for a large family or group of people.

Our room had 2 queen beds in the bedroom & a sleeper sofa in the front sitting room. The sink is outside the bathroom (a plus in our opinion) near the microwave & refrigerator. There is a large, wall mounted magnifying mirror. Lighting was good & the suite was very clean. The air conditioning unit is in the bedroom & there is a small fan in the wall between the bedroom & sitting room. We tried turning the fan on & it didn't work - then, right before we checked out, we discovered a wall switch (labeled fan!) that controlled the fan. While we were there, the "living room" was uncomfortably warm much of the time - I think the fan would have helped some.

We didn't get the so called continental breakfast - which was a choice of a chocolate or fruit muffin & juice delivered to the room. I agree with a previous reviewer that they might as well not bother. The lack of a decent continental breakfast is my main complaint about the hotel. One other very minor complaint: Although the suite had a coffee pot, since I only drink one cup in the morning, I’d rather get my morning cup of coffee in the lobby. At the Murphy Suites, the coffee pot was behind the front desk so you had to ask for a cup of coffee! I was lucky because the desk clerk wasn't busy. If there is a line of people checking out, I guess you just have to wait for your coffee.

Although you can walk to “downtown” Murphys, it isn’t an easy walk due to lack of sidewalks & traffic entering town from Hwy 4.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TZK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murphys
Best Western Plus Cedar Inn & Suites
#2 of 5 in Angels Camp
Murphys Inn Motel
Murphys Inn Motel
#1 of 4 in Murphys

Been to Murphys Suites? Share your experiences!