“Lot of Variety”
Review of Mercer Caverns

Mercer Caverns
Ranked #2 of 29 things to do in Murphys
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Mercer Caverns is less than a half mile from downtown Murphys, but unless you are in super shape I strongly advise you not to walk it. Sheep Ranch road starts out with a mild upgrade but about halfway there it turns into a VERY steep downhill. Which means a VERY steep uphill after climbing down and up the Mercer Cavern stairs. Mercer is very different from Moaning Caverns which is about 10-12 miles southwest from here. Moaning Caverns is a huge open area with impressive stalagmites. But it is mostly a drab tan color inside. Mercer Caverns is instead a large collection of much smaller caverns but much more colorful. Especially the ribbon runs. Note that it is a steep stairway down and the same coming out but worth the effort if you enjoy caving.

2  Thank David L

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Lets start by saying the little town of Murphys California is gorgeous. I love that small town feel.
We were staying in Yosemite and set out to do a trifecta of caverns. Mercer was number 2 on the list. My wife and I seek out caves and caverns when ever we travel. Mercer cavern did not disappoint at all. Our guide was very cute and informative. Unlike a lot of caverns this one was still kind of natural as in they have not paved a lot of the paths, that to me adds to the experience.
I would not hesitate to recommend Mercer Cavern.
John & LynNita Ellis

5  Thank JohnEllis3
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Mercer Caverns are simply amazing. There are many stairs going down and up and sometimes slippery,but easy to walk as there are several stops along the way This is an adventure you don't want to miss. Our tour guide was great and very informative. Mr. Mercer found an amazing part of this world and he helped share it with everyone.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The grounds was nice and clean and my tour guide Jessie was cute and funny. The cavern although neat was just average. Easy to get to unlike some of the other caverns where you may have to hike to get to the entrance. Directions from Highway 4 are awful and almost non existent and I didn't have it written, luckily I found a nice local who gave me directions.

1  Thank T L
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is a very informative tour and beautiful cavern. Many steps down and many steps back up, but there are plenty of stops so you don't get winded. I like Mercer Caverns as a cavern tour the best.