“An unexpected pleasure in a remote location.”

Ironstone Vineyards
Ranked #1 of 19 Food & Drink in Murphys
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Ironstone Vineyards is a premier destination winery located in Murphys, California. Our amenities include our Tasting Room, Gourmet Deli, Heritage Museum (featuring our 44 pound crystalline gold piece) & Jewelry Shoppe, Amphitheater, gold panning, plush gardens, and complimentary tours of our facilities and wine caves. Our wines reflect the diversity of offerings from the Lodi and Sierra Foothills Appellations of Northern California. Through emphasizing the practice of Sustainable Viticulture, Ironstone Vineyards conserves water use, builds healthy soil, and maintains our surrounding wildlife habitat.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator
Okoboji, Iowa
105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 179 helpful votes
“An unexpected pleasure in a remote location.”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Our cousins suggested that we visit their favorite winery on our way back from Yosemite National Park. It is located outside of Murphys, California in a somewhat remote area compared to Napa or Sonoma Valleys.
Upon arrival we first visited the gift shop and museum, including a huge and very valuable gold nugget located inside a vault. There was also interesting jewelry and pottery. We then entered the tasting building which also includes party and event facilities. The wine tasting was a nice experience and the wines were very good and very well priced. We ended up having a case shipped and joined their wine club.
This facility also hosts concert events on their grounds with big names like Alan Jackson and Don Henley. We were very glad our cousins suggested we stop and sorry we couldn't stay for a concert in the future.

Visited August 2011

Roseville, California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great museum and wine tasting room”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Just a short drive outside Murphys is this beautful location. It's a winery, museum, deli and entertainment site. The musuem was amazing, especially the 44 pounds of chrystalized gold displayed in the vault. The outdoor amphitheater looks like it would be great for a concert.

Visited August 2011
Sacramento, California
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We stopped in to check it out. The wine is very good and reasonably priced. Around 8-15 a bottle. We took a great tour of the caves and can't wait to go back for a concert next month.

California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Ironstone Winery Amphitheater as a concert venue”
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We spent $283. for 2 seats in the reserved section of the amphitheater for the Sugarland Concert on July 9th 2010. My marked disappointment is about the venue setup, parking lot staff, and lack of response to emails sent to the winery/venue owners after the fact. As I was pulling into the handicapped parking lot, and there was a guy (Charlie) talking with a driver in the car in front of me. A woman behind him noticed my handicapped placard, and motioned for me to come on. Suddenly, Charlie made a big, nasty yell and said STOP! Do NOT go around ME!" I tried to tell him that I had been summoned through. He kept yelling that he did not care what I had to say, and made it into a big scene! I was shaking!! The other woman was very apologetic.

Then we get to our seats, only to get plastic folding mini-chairs that are zip tied together so close that we had to hold our arms forward throughout the night. Everyone we were sitting with hated it. It was SO hot and uncomfortable. The bugs were horrible, but If I was not already ticked off at paying so much for a 15 inch plastic fold up seat that even the 100 pound girls struggled with, and the parking lot attendant being SO rude, the bugs would have been easy to deal with.

I emailed several people at the winery, and got no response. After I sent a second email, I got a sarcastic response from an executive assistant at Ironstone saying that they have to zip tie them together so that people do not throw the chairs! Yet, there is a section behind us where people bring lawn chairs and sit freely for a considerably lower price. I was told that the gates open at 2 pm for those folks, and the concert does not start until 8pm. Sorry, but I do not want to sit in the sun that long!! I am SO disappointed. I will not go back due to this horrible neglect of comfort for concert goers in an effort to cram as many people in as possible. We have been to many concerts and have never felt this way. The wine was good. The music was good. Too bad the over-all enjoyment was diminished by the experience and the venue. I would have rather seen them at Lake Tahoe the ver next night on the tour. ALSO, VERY poor customer service. I have no idea about any other part of the winery and lakeside park, but will not go back due to the lack of response of the owners and will never pay $283 for a 15 inch plastic chair - EVER again!!

13 Thank mdegracia
Ir0nst0ne, General Manager at Ironstone Vineyards, responded to this review, July 21, 2010
I wanted to post the reply that was indeed sent to the reviewer that posted this comment. The reviewer did write to us on the 10th, which was a Saturday and the Administrative staff is out of the office until Monday. We did respond that Friday due to the fact it was sent to several emails at the winery as stated below in our response. The reviewer states that I was sarcastic and I would like to say that if I my reply below was perceived as sarcastic then I extremely apologize. That was not my intention, nor is it ever the intention of any employee of Ironstone to come across that way. In response to the statement of chairs getting thrown. Yes, it is an issue, just the other day chairs were thrown at a concert, and for those persons who sit the closest in our Amphitheatre, we want the complete safety of the guests as well as the artists. General Admission attendees do not sit so close to the stage. At Lake Tahoe where Sugarland performed the next evening, their venue is almost like ours, from the chairs that they use, to the setup of rows and cable tied together. In response to the comment that the reviewer was told that the gates open at 2pm for GA and the concert starts at 8pm, I cannot dispute this because I am not sure if the reviewer spoke with Ironstone or Ticketmaster or if there was just a misunderstanding. Our Ticket Booth opens at 2pm on site at Ironstone and the gates open for all patrons 1 hour prior to the show. There are no exceptions. We at Ironstone are very sorry for the reviewers feeling of neglect and discomfort. Our venue is like any other venue whether it is indoor or outdoor and we strive to make every event memorable for every patron. We take every comment, whether it is praise or criticism, and go over them with our staff. Thank you for listening.

Carolyn McVarish

"Dear Maria,

We are in response of your email below. Our lack of response is not evidence of our customer appreciation, it is due to the fact that we have had several people receive your email and we have been in the process to look in to your comments listed below so that we may be able to answer you efficiently. That would be our way of trying to provide effective customer service.

I am sorry that you had a terrible experience with one of our staff members and in reviewing this issue with his Manager and getting your feedback directly to him, he will be able to deal with him directly. He has a meeting scheduled with Charlie as well as with our HR Department and it will be taken care of immediately. We, at Ironstone do not tolerate any behavior such as this from our employees and we certainly do wish them to cause anyone distress.

As for the plastic folding chairs that we have in our venue, these chairs are such for the fact that they are mobile. We do not have stationary chairs for any of our concerts and these were recommended to us from Harrahs in Tahoe. Unfortunately we do have to wire tie the chairs together for the safety of our guests. We would not like for these chairs to be used as something to throw. I do apologize about the bugs, but with an outdoor venue and all of the recent rains, they do make it difficult to control.

To address your request for a refund it is stated that “Due to policies established by our event provider clients (including venues, teams and promoters), we will not issue an exchange or refund for a ticket after it has been purchased “ on Ticketmaster’s website, and if you wish to pursue such refund, you may call them at 1-800-745-3000.

At Ironstone Vineyards, whether it be for a concert, wine tasting or just enjoying the grounds, we make it our duty to address complaints with all parties involved and we assure you that we will follow up with our staff as well as our contracted employees."
New York City, New York
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Great Stop in Murphys! Friendly Staff”
Reviewed September 30, 2008

On the way to the Victoria Inn in Murphys we stopped off at Ironstone the Tuesday after Labor Day this year. I had done some research as to what was in Murphys and I knew when they had Winery Tours. Their grounds are beautiful. The grounds have lots of flowers and they are all well maintained. We made it into the shop to find out we were late and missed the tour. Fortunately, the gentleman came back out and we said we would like to do the tour. He took my husband and me on a detailed tour of the Winery and grounds. We got to go into the caves and take a look. There are some very interesting pieces of history on the grounds. The pipe organ was very impressive! The gentleman showed us where concerts take place and it looks like an awesome venue to catch a show. We did taste a few wines at the end of the tour. They allow several tastings at no cost. We really liked the Old Vine Zinfandel. We bought a bottle of it and shared it when we went back to the Victoria’s Inn were we were staying for this night. I would also check out their museum at the big piece of gold! If you’re in Murphys make a point to stop off at Ironstone Winery

3 Thank jerseyjenn