“Gordon Ramsey was here and made changes!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Murphys
The Murphys Historic Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Murphys
Sacramento, California, United States
“Gordon Ramsey was here and made changes!”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I spent a friday and saturday night in October 2013 ; Iwas part of a largish group which took about half the rooms of the "motel" units. The remaining units were taken by a wedding party being held at the hotel on Saturday night. Two of my group stayed in the updated Gordon Ramsey rooms. Very nice and stylish those rooms..the rest were shabby..

The location was perfect and it is the only hotel in the downtown area..but the term hotel is loosely applied, the rooms outside of the old historic building are housed in late 60"s frame one and two story motel construction with doors leading directly to the parking lot. I think the carpeting is new or newish, the linoleum was hideous and the 60's paneling was painted / or wallpapered probably mid 80's. the furniture is mid 90's. I stayed in room 105, the window curtains were shredding, the shower ( a one piece fiberglass ) was coming off the wall and there was a patch job on the ceiling that was started, but not finished. And all the other rooms my group stayed in were in the same shape.. but the location is perfect.
But not perfect enough... friday night we gathered in one larger room ( a king suite) , had a party and closed it down at 9.30 pm to be considerate , plus all the bars in town with live music were also closing down.. so we figured it was the way things are in Murphys.
Saturday night, the wedding party was having a great time in the outdoor party space. I stopped to watch the happy event as I walked from dinner back to my room at about 9:30, to my surprise, no one was dancing but the dj had a party track on every song so it sounded as if the dance floor was jammed...and of course the booming bass was shaking all the windows of the worn out 60's construction. My room was all the way across the parking lot, but I could clearly hear and feel the music and noise. ....around 10 pm, I figured the dj would quiet it down a bit. but no, so I peeked outside and I noticed, again, shaking windows and all were caused by the dj's use of bass and a party track and no one was on the dance floor...10.30pm,. dj was still going strong, no dancers, but the dj was having a good time, I called the front desk to see if there might be some idea when the music would stop. The front desk did not have anyone answering the phone, there was a message machine. So, I thought, okay, the party must have been given instructions to quiet it down at some hour... but no... finally at 11:20 I left a message on the answering machine asking the front desk to quiet down the party..and apparently some one else called the sheriff because the party was pulled about 11:25.
I learned the next day that the front desk is not manned after 10 pm, party guests are not required to observe any noise ordinances and the bartender inside the hotel's bar was in charge if I had needed to talk to anyone. Some of my group had called the bar but apparently the noise in the bar was so loud the bartender did not pick up the phone.
The hotel/bar caters to a biker bar mentality and this spills over to the management's attitude toward hotel guests. I asked the staff to have the hotel manager/ owner call me, I wanted to express my dissatifaction with leaving the comfort, welfare and safety of the hotel guests unaddressed. I left my name and phone number but I did not hear a word from the manager/owner.
Yes, Gordon Ramsey was here and made changes but the place is a dump that caters to a hardcore partying biker mentality. There are much better places to eat and stay in Murphys.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
28 Thank worldwidewinetravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
cctexas
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Pleasant surprise in small town. Stayed in a "newer" room. Bathroom was tiny but totally adequate. Fun decor. Staff was exceptionally friendly. On site restaurant breakfast was excellent. Dinner a disappointment

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Clovis, California
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed in room 107, for a one night stay on 9/15/13.( my brother stayed in room 108, it's and end room and slightly larger). Rooms 107 & 108 are the two rooms that Gordon Ramsey made over for the TV series Hotel Hell.
The updated rooms, are much nicer than the original(we stayed in room 106, about 6 years ago). The paint was fresh, the decor was updated and was very cozy looking. The mattresses are not new, but the quilted mattress cover was comfortable. The bathrooms were not updated, and could use a little assistance. While they were clean, the tile in the shower needs to be replaced, a shelf to put your stuff on would be great. It would really make the whole experience complete with a new bathroom to match the room.
No coffee maker or micro/fridge, but the lobby offers free coffee for guests in the morning, which we took full advantage of!
If you book and get one of these two room you won't be disappointed. If you book an older room, you may be disappointed. They are older and outdated with wall paper from 1970 as is the decor.
We ate dinner and breakfast there at the hotel and sat on the patio both meals, both meals were yummy and the service was good.
We had a couple of beers in the saloon and played darts Sunday night, the beer was cold and service quick.
As usual the town of Murphy's was nice we enjoyed wine tasting on Sunday. Be prepared that there are only 3 tasting rooms that do NOT charge a tasting fee(this was reversed about 6 years ago). Most are $5.00 I believe two are only $3.00, if you make a purchase they do not charge the fee. We pick and choose and at times only do one tasting per couple, in case we do not like the wine.
ENJOY!!

Room Tip: 107 or 108 if you want newer updated
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sherri L
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The town is wonderful with lots of great dining, warm people, and wine tasting rooms that are unpretentious and the prices reasonable and inexpensive. I love the small town feel and the lack of commercialization. I imagine Napa was like Murphys ages ago before it became this luxury destination.
Anyhow, this hotel was great for the experience and my husband and I only stayed one night. The room was spartan and the decor was true to form as far as keeping the authenticity of being historic. The beds were uncomfortable, I heard footsteps by my bed probably made by the friendly ghosts that inhabit this hotel. The ghost walked from the door to a corner sink and then back again. I was spooked but I did not feel threatened. The bathrooms are located down a hallway that's creepy to me. I just held my bladder in the evening to avoid walking down to the toilets. We stayed in the Mark Twain room.
The noise level in the evening is ridiculous! This is the place to be if you want to party and carouse into the wee hours, not a place to rest or relax in the evenings. It's definitely fun but not what I had in mind. My husband passed out and was oblivious to the noise because he was smart enough to drink so much wine in the evening he was able to zonk out.
I would only come back here to dine in the restaurant or eat outdoors, the food here was delicious!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ctle77

Travelers are raving about these Murphys hotels

Eufaula
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My sister booked this hotel for our 2 night stay. After the first night I was ready to check out early and find another hotel. We stayed in room 104 The beds were extremely uncomfortable. It was extremely loud. The people leaving the bar in the main hotel decided to hang out in front of our room all hours of the night. The second night was better because we were so tired from the first night and all the wine we tried that day. I loved the town Murphys but I would have to find somewhere else to stay if I visited again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jessica P
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I booked a room here for myself, my husband and my sister. The reservation process was very easy and the lady who answered the phone when I called very nice. They were also very nice when we checked in. The rooms are as my title says spartan. We stayed in 104. It was very very very loud. The beds were not comfortable at all. The first night was so loud we slept only a couple of hours. The second night was a little bit better but we had a good bit of wine which helped with the sleep. I recommend ear plugs if you are staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Napa, California
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Murphys is one of our favorite get-away towns and has truly captured our hearts. As Napa residents we appreciate good food and great wine and Murphys has it all. The nicest people, many OUTSTANDING restaurants and wonderful wines. We are members of 3 wine clubs already and we love going to the numerous events in town. We often have breakfast or lunch at Murphys Hotel because we like the outdoor seating, the price and sometimes having a beer in an old establishment is just perfect for the mood you know? We have eaten dinner and lunch there many times and enjoyed many burgers and steaks and have never been disappointed.

Recently we took family from nearby and Virginia to dinner at the Hotel. It was so outstanding I simply had to take the time to write a review which I rarely do. I was so taken back by the perfections of everyone's cuisine that night I had to ask about the chef. I was told that his name if Joel and he is one of the new owners. He makes everything from scratch, all his sauces and broths and even the raviolis. He sources locally and buys the best products he can.

My mother had the duck which can be very tricky. Normally I would never order duck unless I truly trusted the establishment and reputation but I had numerous bites and it was cooked and prepared PERFECTLY! I had a steak special served with a crab and hollandaise type sauce which was one of the best meals I have ever had. My Aunt had a braised lamb shank and the sauce was so rich and delicious and the meat was the most tender you could get. My Brother in Law had fried chicken that was also...PERFECTION....Take it from someone who has had Thomas Kellers fried chicken in Yountville...It rivaled! Everyone's dinner came with perfect locally sourced fresh asparagus and carrots. Not the baby peeled kind. The kind of carrots you pay 3x the price for in the store!

This place truly gets a bad rap sometimes because of the hotel and its age. I know it cant be the nicest place to stay at times due to the age of the rooms but I can assure you as someone who has met the owners many times, they care about your stay and they care about their establishment. Do not let the grandma like decor in the dining room fool you! These guys and this chef mean business!!! And personally, I love a good dive bar and really love the history of being at the Murphys Hotel..

Room Tip: If your worries about noise of the restaurant or bar, stay in the rooms across from the hotel. Othe...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shelby F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murphys
Murphys Suites
#1 of 1 in Mokelumne Hill
Murphys Inn Motel
Murphys Inn Motel
#1 of 4 in Murphys

Been to The Murphys Historic Hotel? Share your experiences!