“Two nice meals at a pleasant restaurant”
Review of Murphys Hotel

Murphys Hotel
Ranked #4 of 41 Restaurants in Murphys
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Phoenix, AZ
“Two nice meals at a pleasant restaurant”
Reviewed September 1, 2009

We dined here twice on a weekend get a way to Murphys. The food was good. Typical American fare with steaks, seafood and pasta. The first night was late evening dining out on the patio underneath large pine trees and starry skies. Despite the heat earlier in the day, the night was surprisingly cool. My husband had the lamb shank with brown gravy. Essentially, it was Irish stew. Still, it was delicious. I had the Calamari Dore. It was served with a white wine, butter and garlic sauce. This was good, but it was too garlicky for my taste. The service was slow, but we were fine with because the environment. The second night was a concert night, so we had an early reservation. the service was good. However, bees out on the patio forced us inside. We both had prime rib which was excellent. This food is not frou-frou, chi-chi elegant. It is really good American dining.

Fresno, CA
“Unimpressed”
Reviewed August 29, 2009

We had lunch at the Hotel on a Friday, and it was just ok...not great and not bad. I had the California Grilled Chicken Sandwich, Michael had a large salad. I regretted not eating at Grounds, but we had already had dinner there once and were trying different things. Not the worst food I've ever paid for, but nothing special. The service was very friendly and efficient, we ate outside which was nice, except for the occasional fly or yellowjacket. We went to a concert at Iron Stone Winery, and afterwards saw that they had after concert appetizers in the Hotel bar, but when we went by it looked rather rowdy and not somewhere we wanted to hang out.

Lake Tahoe
“If you want to experiance Murphys then this is the place to start”
Reviewed March 24, 2009

This is an old hotel with tons of charactor and fun. It's a great place to have a drink and wash the wine taste out of your mouth with any number of tasty libations. This place has a hotel, bar and resturant. It's pretty slow unless there is a big event like Murphys Irish Day etc then it GOES OFF.

Sacramento, CA
“Not impressed”
Reviewed August 11, 2008

4 of us had reservations on a Saturday at 5 p.m. We had seen the internet menu and were quite excited by some of the exotic possibilities such as elk and duck. They also have a fried alligator appetizer. We were seated on time, no trouble. Friendly waitress. This was also a Second Saturday art happening as well as a concert evening over at Ironstone Winery and we had asked what the best time would be to reserve if we were going to a 7:30 concert at Ironstone. Five or 5:30 was the response and we were glad we took the 5:00. We got menus right away and were disappointed to see the only exotic item from the on-line menu was the alligator. We ordered the alligator and drinks: 2 brews, a Cosmo and I ordered a Negroni. Classic cocktail, I figured. Unfortunately I'd never actually memorized the ingredients and when the waitress brought a very young bartender out for me to tell him what was IN the drink I couldn't so we settled on Campari and soda instead because that is apparently all he'd ever done with Campari and apparently they didn't have a Mr. Boston bar book?? Doesn't every bar have at least a standard drink book? The cosmo was served in a gimlet glass rather than a large martini glass. I did not see the check so I don't know what we actually paid for the drinks. The alligator was small fried pieces on a bed of the standard bagged herbal mix salad and came with both tartar sauce and cocktail sauce. We had to try it, right. It was just fried...well...stuff. Sort of tough, sort of no taste, but I have no idea what alligator is supposed to be like anyway, so that was an adventure. I think it was also about $9-12. (Sorry, I wasn't paying all that much attention.) We then all ordered dinner salads as well as our entree choices. The salads came right away. The Cesar was very ordinary. Nothing special at all. Then we waited, and waited and waited. I believe we were served dinner around 6:10. (Also, about 7 small slices of very ordinary sourdough came in a basket with the little bowl of butter that is never enough.) Dinner was ok. There was lots of food. No problem there. No one raved about their food though! We had between us pork medallions with apples and mashed potatoes that looked quite lovely; a queen-cut prime rib with jullienne -style veggies/carrots and zucchini with one broccoli floret and mashed potatoes, a lamb shank that came with some quite wonderfully tasty polenta and chicken marsala or picatta also with mashed. The prime rib - mine, was pink, just the way I like it. The taters were sort of dry. At least I had the au jus to dip a fork of meat and taters into. The veggies were ho hum. The food was not bad by any means. for the price, and I would say these entrees were in the $18-$24 category - not super expensive by today's standards - but it just wasn't a memorable meal. We were out of there, though, by about 6:40 with plenty of time to get to Ironstone for the show. Oh, they also have a pretty decently priced wine list. We ordered a bottle of 2005 Stevenot ...something red...- local to the area and I think it was $19. Their corkage is $10.

1 Thank Cannylad16
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Ok, the food here is standard fare, but this hotel is oh so quaint! Built in the late 1800's and the furnishings in...”
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Ok, the food here is standard fare, but this hotel is oh so quaint! Built in the late 1800's and the furnishings in the rooms bring you back in time.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook