“It's probably the best hotel in the area”

Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Mountain View
Seattle
“It's probably the best hotel in the area”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

It was okay, I give it a 3 star due to I've stayed in many Residence Inns in the country, and this was average at best. Room was expensive for what we got versus what we expected. loft/penthouse was the classification. It was comfortable, property is dated in my opinion. In Mountain View CA,there are not many good choices. It was a one night stay for a concert. Would return if my schedule required, but nothing special about property. Customer service overall at this property, was good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
MtnView_ResidenceInn, Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Good Day ISLANDbluefish,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Mountain View. It is nice to hear that you were able to reserve the Penthouse Executive Suite for your one night stay for a leisure concert visit! We assure that we can improve for a better than average score and guest experience. The hotel is an extended stay apartment style, with exterior corridors and entrances to provide the guest with the comfort of their own spacious property. Our ever improving attitude and team is pleased to hear the guest customer service of your visit was good. Marriott strives to enhance guest stays through guest feedback and reviews. We hope that should you return for another concert or leisure visit that you are able to choose Residence Inn by Marriott Mountain View as we are local to many great eateries and the amazing Shoreline Amphitheatre.

Amy Miyashita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
Pune
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Rooms are good. Service is also decent. But expected more from a Marriott.
Breakfast needs improvement. Fruits had gone bad a couple of days. Bagels were not fresh.
A/C in my colleagues suite went bad after a few days.
Room telephone did not have a speaker phone. Extremely disappointing.
Toiletries were missing items like ear buds, moisturizer.
Would not recommend for business travelers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank A P
MtnView_ResidenceInn, Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Good Day A P,
Thank you for taking the time to write an honest post on your stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Mountain View. As a manager here I speak for our team when I say we appreciate the review and the TripAdvisor score. It made me very glad to read your review because it is an honest review from a frequent traveler. Having noticed the toiletries and speaker phone, those are very common items I notice when I travel as well. As an extended stay brand with Marriott we do not have the ear buds in the suite but we do sell them in the Gatehouse Market. However per many quest requests, the Residence Inn Mountain View now supplies the moisturizer in the suites rather than just at the front desk. It is reviews like yours that help us expand our services. We can positively develop on our dining services as well as it is a wonderful amenity of Residence Inn’s. A hot breakfast buffet and dinner buffet (Monday through Wednesday) we want to ensure the products and presentations match our services. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

No. Calif.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I wish I could rate our hotel room, but we didn't actually stay here. We made our reservation through the Lucille Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford, as our grandson (age 11) was having heart surgery there on 9/12/13. We gave the hotel our credit card to put down a 1-night deposit. We had 6 people traveling to Palo Alto as support during the surgery, so we reserved a "penthouse" suite, with a bedroom (queen bed), loft (queen bed), and living room sofa-bed. One or two days before we arrived, we received the typical "welcome" e-mail from the hotel.

BUT - on 9/11 as we were at the hospital for the pre-op consultations, I happened to pick up my e-mail on my phone and received a cancellation notice from the hotel. Apparently they had a legal right to cancel us, because another guest was willing to reserve the same suite for up to 30 days (not sure exactly). The hotel originally "transferred" our reservation (without consulting us) to a hotel in San Jose, which was 10 miles further away from the hospital. In addition, they only reserved 1 room for all of us, saying that technically we only had reserved "one" room originally (even though it was a suite with 3 separate sleeping areas).

We spoke to the manager at the hotel and poured out our hearts about a sick child and heart surgery the next morning, but nothing changed. We spent our afternoon at the hospital frantically trying to find another hotel close to Stanford that could accommodate our group. Long story - we couldn't find anyplace online on our ipad searches, but finally a very compassionate employee at the Four Seasons called around for us behind the scenes and ended up with 2 rooms at another establishment. Around 5 or 6 pm the Marriott manager did say she could put us up in Redwood City in an equivalent penthouse suite -- but by then we had made the other arrangements. We couldn't wait that long because of our very sick grandson, who needed a place to rest.

Even if it was their legal right, we are left wondering at the ethical values of a hotel that would turn away a family who was already overly anxious about a medical emergency situation. Fortunately the surgery itself turned out well. However, although we have enjoyed previous Marriott experiences, our family and our friends will not be supporting this hotel chain again because of this horrible experience that displayed amazing insensitivity and callousness.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank skwfh
MtnView_ResidenceInn, General Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Mrs. Woodson,

I first off want to send you my deepest apologies and inform you that I am very happy to hear the surgery went well. Being a mother myself, I could not imagine the pain and worry you were going through for your grandson.

I understand there are many unanswered questions about Marriott policy and why we were unable to keep your original reservation. Before we were aware of the circumstances with your grandson’s surgery, we were not able to accommodate your Executive Penthouse reservation. As a Marriott Benefit for having a guaranteed reservation, we are obligated to find alternate accommodations for your reservation if we are unable to accommodate you at our property. Based on the information on your reservation, we booked a room at a hotel about 11 miles away. The information on your reservation stated there was 1 person staying in the room for 2 nights. We tried to give as much time as possible to inform you of the changes to your reservation and the fact we would be paying for these nights, so we emailed early in the day.

After receiving the first call from you explaining the situation you and your family were in, we decided to relocate another reservation coming in for that day and indeed have you and your family stay at our property. However, we were still not able to accommodate you in a Penthouse Executive Suite. All of the rooms were occupied and the room you were supposed to be in had a guest that did not check out. You had asked if we could make them vacate the room because your reservation was coming in. I explained that we would not be able to make that person leave. They had been in the suite for over 30 nights and are technically a resident of the property. It would be as if they were occupying a home and we give them one day notice to vacate.

You explained that because of the amount of people, you would not feel comfortable having 3 families in the same room. I then asked for you to give me a bit of time to find another hotel that would be fit for you and your family. I had my Front Desk, Assistant General Manager, and myself calling hotels. Because of the area most of the properties were sold out.

I was able to call the General Manager for the Residence Inn Silicon Valley I. He was extremely willing to help out and offer the same room type for you and your family. This property is closer to the Stanford Hospital than the alternate accommodations and is 10 miles away from the Stanford Hospital. However, when we called back to inform you of the hotel we were able to secure for you, the hotel was too far from the Hospital and wanted us to pay for multiple rooms closer to the Hospital. We explained that we were only obligated to pay for one room and the other amount would be out of pocket. We explained that because the rate was very high, there would be extra expenses incurred that were not originally in your budget. This is when you decided to cancel the reservation altogether and find accommodations that were best suited for your family.

I am truly very sorry that we were not able to accommodate your original reservation and I am truly sorry that there was so much pressure put on you the day before your grandson’s surgery. I hope that you can understand that certain situations arise when running a hotel and that we had your best interests as well as your families in mind. Please accept my deepest apologies for the events that occurred during your time in the Bay Area.

Travelers are raving about these Mountain View hotels

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel was our last stop on a family trip to California, we used it as a gateway to San Francisco. Since this hotel was the third Residence Inn of a 12 day trip, we really got the feel of a "low end" property.

For people who have stayed at a Residence Inn, most things such as room decor, amenities and breakfast are standardized, but how they are presented and delivered is what makes the difference! Things in this place just didn't flow how they were supposed to. The breakfast area was cramped, yes there is extra space upstairs, but I didn't dare negotiate the steep staircase with my hot cup of coffee and cereal on a tray! I applaud the environmentally responsible thing, but not when there are not enough clean dishes to serve all your guests.

In every other hotel on our trip, staff asked us if there is anything they can get for us - at this hotel we had to find staff and ask them for things which should have been provided. One item I enjoy personally is the complementary daily newspaper, which every other Residence Inn had seven days per week - when I asked for one here, I was told that they don't pay for delivery of the Sunday newspaper. Not a major problem, but it served to underscore the "vibe" of the place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AK4700
Hello AK4700,

It is our pleasure to have accommodated your family travel suites on your San Francisco Trip Getaway! I am glad to hear that you are an avid valued traveler with the Marriott Residence Inn brand as you mention that it was the 3rd one on your family trip! I hope that you were able to accumulate Marriott Rewards Points for your stays! It disheartens me to hear that you felt Residence Inn Mountain View was not up to par as the other hotels throughout your stay.

The Residence Inn Mountain View has lots of room for improvements and I am delighted to say that a Gatehouse Lobby Renovation is in our future. It is imperative that we help our guests feel welcomed in our lobby and make up for the smaller size area. Unfortunately the USA Today Newspaper only provides select weekend newspapers and Wallstreet Journal does not provide weekend newspapers. Our employees are the gems of the hotel and every department strives to enhance guest stays. We ensure growth and improvements, and hope that you and your family will be out for another getaway to give Mountain View a redeeming chance. Thank you very much for your honest review as we can only improve.

Vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I don't like this hotel overall. I don't find it comfortable for their prise. It's old and very outdated to the point that things are not working in this hotel.

Very noisy from the street and from A/C outside of each floor unit. Alarm goes on from the bathroom steam. Old small kitchen appliances. Brocken coffee machine.
Room cleaning could be much better.
Small swimming pool facing the street.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank aforp
MtnView_ResidenceInn, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear aforp,

I would first like to thank you for choosing the Residence Inn in Mountain View for your travel accommodations. I am disheartened to hear that our services and hotel were not at best for you, our valued customer and guest. The suites are intended to be your "home away from home" and we value each stay with us. I want to thank you very much for your TripAdvisor review, honest feedback on what we can do to improve our guests’ stays are priceless. The broken coffee pot and cleanliness of your suite is highly important to us and your experience, improving these things to enhance guest visits is the goal of Marriott. Hearing these improvements straight from our guests is how we are going to improve your next stay and future stays for other guests.

Kearney, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

As a woman who travels on business every week, safety is important. This hotel is nice, but it's one of the Residence Inns that is more apartment-like than hotel. I made a mistake when booking this, I usually check things like this out. Being "safe" (or neurotic), I checked the sliding glass doors which had a bar, but they were also not opening up to ground. Checked the window next and it slid right up, could not get it to lock with all my might! Could lift it up from the outside, right outside my door. The door has to be leaned on heavily to dead-bolt. Management tried- 2 times a maintenance guy. Then they said no rooms available (correct- no rooms within 45 min.!!!) and then produced some "bolts" that I accepted on the windows. Replace these windows, Marriott. Important to a girl like me!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gina M
MtnView_ResidenceInn, General Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Gina,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate the feedback that you provided us. There is always room for improvement and I thank you for bringing your encounter to light. I will make it a priority to ensure all the windows are thoroughly checked and if any have been damaged, are promptly replaced. Your security along with all our other guests is of the utmost imprtance.

Glendale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

We were part of a group that stayed here for a collegiate competition at Stanford. The location was perfect - although if you didn't see the sign from the road you would have missed it - tight turn in to the parking lot. The staff was very friendly. We enjoyed the breakfast - although the room did seem a bit small for a large group of people. We loved our room - it was clean and our location was quiet.

Room Tip: Rooms in the center of the complex away from the road are quieter.