“Great Stay for Business Trips”

Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Mountain View
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Please read my profile for my biases.

I was on a business trip in the area with my new CEO, and we needed to book a place at the last minute. I found this hotel with a two room suite and it seemed to be perfect for our needs, plus it cost less than two separate rooms would have run pretty much anywhere in the area that had rooms with our lack of advance notice.

The Residence Inn brand has been around for awhile, and thus it is hit or miss if you are going to get a "new" place or one that is tired. I was worried that this was once of the latter, as the exterior could use a little TLC, but I was happy to find that the rooms themselves have been remodeled and were quite nice.

The room came with two beds and two baths, with one room in an upstairs loft area and the other downstairs off the living room.

The room was clean and I thought the little "towel swans" were a nice touch. The food offerings (full breakfast and a evening snack) were a little upmarket from your usual fare.

While there were still places for improvement (there were some dings and dents on the walls and the dust ruffle on the upstairs bed was torn) I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
MtnView_ResidenceInn, General Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Sortova,
I appreciate you taking the time out to review our hotel. At the Residence Inn, we love making your stay memorable and I will definitely inform our Housekeeping Department of the kind words about the cleanliness of the rooms and their specialty: towel animals.

I also thank you for your honesty. We will be making some changes to the outside of the property in the near future to make our hotel even better.

Sincerest Regards,
Andrea Brito

Reviewed August 2, 2013

My family of four stayed one night at the Residence Inn. We stayed in a studio room. The room was decent sized, with a queen bed, a sleeper sofa and a decent sized kitchen. The hotel had a small pool (usual size for a hotel like this) and included a decent breakfast (eggs, waffles, fruit, cereal).

My only complaint would be that while the room was decent sized, opening up the fold out sofa was a little tight, since there was a heavy coffee table to move, and not a lot of room to move it to. Also, the Internet was complimentary and reasonably quick, but not fast enough for consistent video, and while I did a little work while there, I'm not sure I'd be super happy with the speed if I was doing more than checking e-mail.

Even with those couple issues, still a good stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
MtnView_ResidenceInn, General Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Good day,
I want to thank you for taking the time and writing a review in regards to your recent stay with us. I am also glad to hear that you and your Family enjoyed your stay and our facility. I do apologize and I am sorry to hear that you had some trouble with our sofa and sleeper and our internet, thank you for bringing this to my attention so that I may be able to look into these issue's and make improvements on them to make sure that our Valued Guest such as yourself are 100% satisfied when staying at our property. If there is anything else I can assist you with please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I used to stay in this hotel every time I visit Palo Alto. (About 20 times within the last 3 years of which 10-12 times chose this hotel to stay at)

While I love this hotel for its location and the fact that they do not offer small hotel rooms but real apartments in kondo-style houses I have always chosen this place to stay. Even though it is mostly a bit more expensive than the Residence Inn or the Courtyard a few blocks north.

Unfortunately the last 2 visits to this hotel were very unpleasant and I have decided not to go back to this place. (I am currently staying at the hotel for another 2 weeks and thinking about to check out and move into a different hotel)

I am Platinum Marriott member for several years and while I have always received the "welcome present" this has changed this year. The last 2 visits I have not been asked for "points or another welcome gift" when checking in. I have just now found out that I am due to receive 100$ for this.

Some items that have annoyed me the last 2 visits.

- Internet. Depending on your room location you might end up with no internet or very weak reception of the WI-FI signal. Even though each house has its "own" internet the further away you are from the patio in the middle the lesser internet connection you have.
- Also, it seems there are some interent security issues. The current room I am stayin in has some UNSECURED WI-FI signals that are called "Residence Inn Guest". Not sure how many people will just select that one without understanding that this is not secure and does not ask to login via the Marriot login page.
- Internet connection drops at least twice a day. Note, I have 4 devices that use internet and the bad reception and dropping connections happens on all devices.

Room:
+ Full Kitchen with coffee machine, Microwave, Oven, Fridge etc - Like at home!
+ Rooms are very clean, furniture and electro appliances are up to date.
- Coffee, Sugar and Milk powder sometimes does not get refilled. Happened twice within the last 10 days
- Yesterday the cleaning crew forgot some cleaning utensils in my room after they cleaned the room.
- During my last stay the cleaning crew threw away receipts that were on the kitchen table. Big issue if your company pays for bills and you have no receipts to get reimbursed.
- Happened twice now that channels suddenly dont work for an hour or 2
- During my last stay the cleaning crew forgot to clean my room 2 days in a row

Reception
- You will be adressed with "Hi Man" from some employees at the reception.
- While calling the maintenance crew because of the internet problems and TV channel loss I got welcomed with "Hi, whats up man?"

Last but not least item for Platinum Members.
I have stayed in several other Marriott Hotels over the year. (have roughly 300 nights spent so far in Marriotts. Also Diamond Member with Hilton)
Usually I get an upgrade when checkin-in. Obviously this is dependand on availability. But I have never received an upgrade at this place. Even though there were Penthouse Suites available when checking online before and after check-in.

All in all I again love the location and the size of the Room, but all these little items count up to a degree that I might not consider staying at this Hotel anymore.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that are "upstairs" and have the door facing to the yard.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
MtnView_ResidenceInn, General Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Good day,

I want to apologize for the huge inconvenience you encountered during your recent stay at the Residence Inn Mountain View Property. After a long period of time that you have spent with us I know the only thing one wants to do is relax and unwind and not have to deal with problems. As a valued Platinum Marriott Rewards Member, we strive to give you the most positive and reassuring environment. I know this was not the case when you visited our property this past visit.

Unfortunately, we have made several mistakes, and I am deeply sorry. This resulted in you having to deal with huge inconveniences and disappointment from our hotel and the lack of service you have received from my staff. I know first impressions are everything and the impression you received from us was a horrible one. Nothing I can say or do can change the past or your dissatisfaction with our hotel.

What I would like to do is discuss the issue’s you have encountered with you further either in person, email, or by phone so you can give me a chance to rectify all the issue’s. Since you are a valued Marriott Platinum Member you have every right to feel how you feel, but I would like the opportunity to change your mind in regards to your future stays at my Property.

Once again it is not desirable for us to fail our valued customers, but in this case we did and I am truly sorry for that. Should your travels bring you back to the Area I would like to personally make your next reservation. I will guarantee you a perfect stay at our property should you give us a second chance. If there is anything else I can assist you with please feel free to contact me.

Mountain View Residence Inn
650-940-1300 Ext 400
mountainviewgm@ih-corp.com

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel 2 1/2 weeks in two separate stays. Rooms are comfortable like all other Residence Inns. The free hot breakfast was a pleasant surprise: varied and great quality. An even nicer touch is their "light dinner"/cocktail hour on Mon-Wed. If you are tired after a day's work and all you want is to eat something and go to your room, it's perfect. Staff very helpful. They sorted out a reservation issue that would have costed us a bundle

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
MtnView_ResidenceInn, General Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Good day Ms. Pattin,
First of I would like to thank you for taking the time and commenting about our hotel and your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy some of the service's that we offer here at our property and that they met your needs. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the area and if there is anything I can do to further assist you, please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed here and it was a perfect location for us due to shoreline concert we were attending. Allowed us to check in few minutes early and also provided me with local area information. Nice touch with a welcome bag with popcorn n cookies yum. Great space, huge bathroom mirror, kitchen is a plus with full accessories. Quite and safe night sleep. Don't miss great free breakfast! Hope to return!

• Stayed: May 2013
MtnView_ResidenceInn, Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Good day Sir,
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay here with us and you got a chance to experience all the wonderful ammenities we have to offer. Our Hotel is in a great location close to shoreline amphitheatre and glad to know you enjoyed the concert. I hope your future travels brings you back to our location. If there is anything else I can assist you with please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were nicely renovated and had a studio apartment feel. Finding the room was a bit challenging and I heard the people in the courtyard area in the room at night so it was a bit on the noisy side. My stay was average.

• Stayed: May 2013
MtnView_ResidenceInn, General Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Hope you are having a great day,
First of all I wanted to thank you for taking the time and letting us know about you experience during your recent stay with us. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the look and layout of our rooms. I also wanted to apologize for having a tough time finding our rooms i know it can be abit challenging with the way we are laid out, I will talk to my staff to make sure we offer assistance to our guest to make sure your entire experience with us is a positive one. I hope your next trip out to the area brings you back to our location so that you can give us the chance of turning an average stay to a great experience. If there is anything else I can assist you with please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I am staying here on business and the rooms are great. Full kitchen, small sofa, comfortable bed and good shower. There's a hot breakfast buffet (along with fruit and cereal) in the morning, cocktail/dinner hour in the evening. The fitness room and pool are small, but there are great surrounding neighborhoods for which to walk.

I would recommend requesting a room away from El Camino Real (main road). It's very busy street and very loud at all hours.

Overall, great place to stay for business or leisure. From San Jose Airport, about 20 -30 minutes northwest.

Room Tip: Choose a room more internal to the property....El Camino Real is a busy road and very loud.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Alisen J
MtnView_ResidenceInn, Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Good day Alisen,
First of thank you so much for taking the time and writing a review about our property. I am glad to hear that your stay with us was a pleasant one and that all your needs were met and that you took full advantage of all our ammenities. We hope that your future travels bring you back to our establishment. Once again I am glad to know that we are your home away from home. If there is anything else I can assist you with please feel free to contact me

mountainviewgm@ih-corp.com

#1 of 18 in Mountain View
Hotel Zico
Hotel Zico
#3 of 18 in Mountain View

Been to Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View? Share your experiences!