“Great little place.”
Review of Hotel Zico

Hotel Zico
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Mountain View
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Good: The decor was colorful, the breakfast was adequate for my wife since she is gluten free and the omelette station was a BIG seller for my booking. Underground parking was nice and our vehicle was safe the 3 nights we stayed there, also the elevator leading to the parking area was convenient. We were away from the freeway, so we had no issues with noise in our room. We did not hear neighboring guests through the walls as some have reported. The TV reception in our room was great. Free wireless internet worked fine for the little amount of time I used it. The Krueger coffee maker in the room went unused but was a nice feature.The hotel staff obliged us with extra towels. Overall the place was outwardly nice.

The Ok: The price ($384 for 3 nights/tax included) compared to what we received (compared to many, many hotels we have stayed in, in the same area) was not, in my opinion, fair price for the cramped room. The double queen room was very cramped for 2 adults and 2 older kids (12&14). The toilet resting pegs for the toilet seat were all broken and the seat wobbly. The tub had signs of wear on the headrest area, very tacky. Bathroom very cramped as well. The room (#216) has an odd smell, not unpleasant just odd. Getting there from the freeways is a roller coaster ride (thank God for GPS). The solitary ice machine worked for one small bucket of ice and no more (Would have liked to fill half an ice chest for the beach). The air conditioner was loud kicking on and would wake one up during the night, even with ear plugs (Once again this also is a product of the cramped room design). If you eat breakfast in the 3rd hour of breakfast expect a rush and 2 kitchen staff have a hard time keeping up, they do well but you may have to wait a few minutes for something. The internet browsers on the computers in the common area (IE, Firefox & Chrome) did not work and had Malware preventing use of internet on them. Did not meet all expectations for the price we paid. While it tries hard to be a boutique/different hotel, it falls short in prviding value for the money.

Room Tip: Room sinside main building would be insulated from the freeway noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel was booked on Hotwire at a rate deeply discounted off the rack rate. When I checked in I was greeted and advised my room was not ready. After 20 minutes I received my key card and went to check out the room. When I arrived I was surprised of the condition of the room.
Comfy king size bed with Microwave and frig. Nice updated bathroom and linens on the bed. I had a great nights sleep. My room was in the back away from the freeway. I went to breakfast and was again surprised of all the choices; Omlet bar (made to order), eggs, pancakes, sausage, bacon and so much more. Well worth it! Only minor complaint was the fan in my room. It emitted a strange ordor on the last day. The other thing is when you get off the freeway you should take the 85 North to the exit. You have to pay attention. It is a quick turn, but there is a nice big sign and you can se when you cross the freeway. Overall I would stay here again. By the way if you are going to Shoreline I would stay here. Only 5-10 minutes from Shoreline Amphitheatre.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LATraveler01
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Hotel was pleasant. Good price for the area. However our room smelled like sour wet carpet and the cleaning chemical used did nothing to mask it. We opened our windows to let in fresh air. Fortunately they supplied earplugs to help drown out the traffic noise. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 28, 2012

After reading most of the reviews i definitely expected alot more. I just checked into this hotel about 20 mins ago and am regretting my decision. For the price i paid i was not expecting a small cramped very dark room with someone else's hair on the pillowcases. Once again the pics online are alot better than the real thing. Mattresses are not comfortable and when calling the front desk to ask about it got a short response. Hmmm...wouldn't stay here again

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I had to stay at Hotel Zico as part of a last minute trip snafu and was pleased with the result of taking a chance on my 'Rooms Tonight' iphone app. The price for the night was under 150, which is great for the bay area. I found the hotel to be a wonderful place with a very tasty complimentary breakfast in the morning. The best part about my stay were the sheets, high thread count, with soft and hard pillow options! Thank you, Hotel Zico for a great stay after a challenging travel mixup.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank luisa1071
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Uniqueness: you can check out iPad, laptop, GPS, Kinect, DVDs and a DVD player from the front desk. Amenities in the room included a Keurig coffee machine with single-serve coffees, a mini fridge and microwave, eye mask, eye makeup remover pad, free internet, wonderful breakfast including an omelette bar, and a balcony outside the room. I heard there was even a bocce court!

Location is centrally located off 237/85/280. I didn't hear the freeway noise at all. The location is beautiful maintained with fountains and greenery. It really gives the "Modern Mediterranean" vibe advertised. The whole place was very quiet and relaxing; I would definitely go there again whenever I need a getaway from real life.

There is also a covered parking garage. Rooms were spacious, clean, modern and beautifully decorated.

The huge draw here, in addition to everything listed...was the price! Paid $70 off the hotel website (internet special rate) -- you cannot beat that for the type of hotel and location. I had never heard of the hotel before, but am so happy I found it. Will definitely be staying again in the future!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank missstaceymarie
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Hotel Zico is in a great location on El Camino Real and next to Highway 85. After going north on El Camino Real you need to be careful not to miss the entrance which is right after an exit ramp from Highway 85. The Hotel has a relaxing atmosphere with a fountain in front and on our 2nd level floor double doors opening out to a balcony area that is shared with everyone on that part of the second floor (all the rooms open out onto the same big balcony). There is a table and chairs for each room. The room was nice and comfortable. In the morning there is a nice breakfast buffet that includes custom omelettes, hash browns, scrambled eggs, bacon, saugage, toast, cereal, pancakes, juice, etc. Underground parking is also avaiable. I would consider staying here again when in the area.

Room Tip: If you want a room with balcony access pick a room on the south side.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Hampton Inn & Suites Mountain View
Dinah's Garden Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Hotel Zico? Share your experiences!