“A great time to understand computing and technology in Silicon Valley”

Computer History Museum
Silicon Valley Tech Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I am a senior living in the heart of Silicon Valley. As an engineer, I even worked at the company that started Silicon Valley Fairchild Semiconductor and lived and know much of the history, So I was quite impressed by both the docent tour and the thoughtful and fascinating museum. There was a fluid and fascinating order to every aspect of computing history from ancient times to the present day. More impressive, the nontechnical people in group such as my wife, son, and daughter-in-law enjoyed the tour more as than us techie types. The tour and exhibits allowed the nontechnical to learn and understand in a unintimidating fun environment. You can spend easily 2-4 hours learning about all aspects computing history including using an Abacus , old mechancal,and electical calculators, analog computers,video games. Lot of interactive displays to make life interesting including Pong.. Good for all ages. My biggest regret for a first time visit is I missed the daily 1:15p.m. mechanical cranking and use of the Babbage machine which should be on everyone's bucket list. Will definitely take out of town guests to this museum.

1  Thank hcheckman

Reviewed June 27, 2012

If you're not a computer geek of some form or another, you might be bored with this museum. If you're a geek like me, though, wow. I've been working in the computer field for a couple decades now (and I wound up working on old computers at first), so I found it intensely interesting. It went all the way from the abacus up to something that resembled a more modern machine and covered both hardware and software. Seeing a real Babbage engine was one of the spectacular highlights for me, and it was quite a trip down memory lane seeing paper tape and punched cards again.

The best part was talking to some of the grey beards (one of the canonical computer geek stereotypes) who volunteered as tour guides and reapir men and getting to go back into the room where they fix up the old computers and get them running again. Amusingly, I was with a male friend who was a programmer, and the guy doing the repairs chatted away at him like a kindred soul. Of course, as a female (and younger looking than I am), the guy mostly ignored me. The great irony is that, as a sysadmin, I had worked on some of the gear he was repairing and had a much beter grasp on the history of the stuff than my friend the programmer. He would occasionally look at me with a stupefied expression, causing us both to laugh.

1  Thank artrips
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Was closed on the first day we called (Monday) but went back on Wed and enjoyed it.
One needs a few hours to view all the exhibits.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

This is one of the best computer museums that I have been to so far. The tour guides give you a much deeper insight to computers. There are facts about the history of computers that I'm sure almost no one has heard of before. This museum is great for teenagers and adults but little children may become bored easily in some parts of the museum.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is a great museum for the young and old. It gives all the history regarding the development of computer. It is informative, overwhelming and lots of memories. Staffs are helpful and knowledgeable.

2  Thank bypass