“Amazingly great vegan restaurant!”

Garden Fresh Vegetarian Restaurant
Ranked #107 of 326 Restaurants in Mountain View
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Portland
“Amazingly great vegan restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

I went to this restaurant during a trip in the San Jose area and I really enjoyed the food. One of the best vegan restaurants I have ever ate at! The service was also good and I would recommend anyone to try this place.

We had several dishes and each one was very good!

• Visited July 2011

Mountain View, California
“An Excellent Vegan Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

Garden Fresh has been one of my favorite restaurants since the 1990s. I became a little disenchanted with the restaurant when it changed owners in the early 2000s because I felt the quality dropped off some. Since then, I think the quality has improved, although it's been accompanied by higher prices and fewer freebies. For example, back in the old days, the lunch special used to include fried spring rolls, and all of the dishes included complimentary brown rice (even at dinner). Still, Garden Fresh is one of the better deals around, and its best dishes are excellent.

On our most recent trip, we got the lettuce cups and the veggie chicken curry. The lettuce cups were not nearly as good as I remember; something was "off" with the flavor. I don't think we'll try that dish again. The veggie chicken curry is wonderful comfort food. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for something tasting so "heavy," but this time it was exactly what I wanted.

Some of our other favorites: Mongolian veggie chicken and Hunan veggie chicken (these dishes are pretty similar), basil moo shoo rolls, the veggie curry noodle soup and the moo shoo vegetables. Many other dishes are good too. I also like the tofu chowder they frequently serve complimentary. My wife prefers the hot-and-sour soup, and sometimes they will substitute that for the tofu chowder without charging more.

The restaurant itself is hardly atmospheric, although it is slightly more spruced up than it was in the 1990s. It's basically a few rows of formica tables in a mini-mall. Then again, my culinary tastes were honed in Southern California, where the best meals always were in mini-malls, so the setting doesn't bother me. For us, its convenience is an added bonus; it's in easy biking distance from our house.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank ericgoldman
Mountain View, California
“Ok food, dive-y location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

I am moving to California from the Midwest, and am in perpetual awe of the number of vegetarian restaurants around. I want to try them all.

I thought I'd start with this one, on a visit to the area while looking for housing. My mom and I came here after a long day of househunting... I ordered the Tofu Delight, and she ordered the Kun Pao Eggplant (which was what I actually really wanted to order... there aren't a lot of spicy entrees on the menu!)

Mine surprisingly came with soup, but I guess my mom's didn't... she ordered the spinach wonton soup. The free soup was ok, basically tofu and veggies in kind of a gummy clear broth. Definitely skippable, but hey, free food always tastes better.

The Tofu Delight was a little bland until I added some of the spicy red sauce on the table. The eggplant was really flavorful and just the right texture! The brown rice we ordered was pretty dry and undercooked, though.

I wish I had been adventurous enough to order one of the fake meat entrees... Isn't that the point of coming to a vegetarian restaurant? But that's my own fault, so I'll just have to come back sometime(s), try something(s) else, and write an updated review! Although... Maybe I'll try the Palo Alto location; this one's pretty inhospitable and dive-y, in a pseudo-strip-mall setting.

• Visited August 2011
San Jose, California
“Even my non-veggie friends like eating here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

Best vegetarian restaurant I have ever been to and I have returned to share this place with friends many times. Even my meat loving boyfriend enjoys the food at this place. You will not be disappointed trying the food here is very excellent.

Silicon Valley, CA
“Very good pseudo-meat dishes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

Garden Fresh has been a staple for veggie foodies in the area for many years. Nothing fancy, just good all vegetarian dishes. I'm particularly fond of their orange "beef", which has thick, chewy pieces of faux beef. Brown rice is standard with all dishes.