“Unremarkable and skippable”

Vaso Azzurro Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Vaso Azzurro Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 328 Restaurants in Mountain View
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Unremarkable and skippable”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was brought here by colleagues for a business dinner. It was absolutely packed on a Tuesday night - and I have no idea why. The wine list was respectable, but ridiculously over-priced ($80 for a very low-end wine; mid-range is $80-$150; respectable wines start at $150 a bottle). The avocado salad was delightful and the highlight of the dinner. Looking for a simple pasta, I opted for the spaghetti and meatballs. The meatballs were undercooked and basically raw inside. The spaghetti was a flavorless blob. Overall, is the most unremarkable Italian meal I've had in months. This place is skippable and with so many other options on Castro Street, surely you could do better.

• Visited February 2013

Los Altos, California
“Noisy but good”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I had an early dinner here on a Saturday night. It was filling up fast, so I would recommend reservations. We happened to get a small almost-corner table, so we were able to hear each other, but more than four would probably fine conversation difficult. I had a classic penne with chicken and artichokes, which was good, and my husband had ravioli, which was even better. We shared a chocolate dessert, which even better than the ravioli. "Mama" was making the rounds, very sweet.

• Visited February 2013
Mountain View, CA
“Pretty good, but expensive”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We went with 6 people to celebrate my son's 17th birthday. The bread/herbed olive oil they brought out as we ordered was a tasty beginning. We all ordered a salad or an appetizer, with two pairs opting to share salads (sharing incurred a $1.50 split fee). Our main courses were coq au vin (two ordered this), a seafood risotto special, spinach gnocchi, spinach ravioli, and a veal dish. They were good-sized portions, and those I tasted (the gnocchi and coq au vin), were good but not outstanding. For dessert ($7.95 each), we ordered flan, chocolate sundae, "Helen of Troy," creme brulee, an apple strudel special, and fresh berries. My mom, who is Spanish in background, said the flan was good, and my younger son enjoyed the creme brulee. I was disappointed that the "Helen of Troy," described as containing baklava, gelato, berries, and chocolate sauce along with orange liqueur, did not have more baklava. I thought the items would be separated on a plate, but instead they were all mixed together in a sundae glass, and I could hardly find the baklava, which is listed as a home-made specialty. The strudel was a generous portion and looked delicious. The fresh berries were a small portion and seemed quite overpriced. My son who had the birthday had the sundae, with a candle on top, and a wonderfully harmonized rendition of "Happy Birthday" sung to him by waitstaff and accompanied by a saxophone. All of the desserts were beautifully presented. Still, though, I was a little shocked when our bill came to almost $300 for the 6 of us (we did have a bottle of red wine at about $37 on top of everything else, and the tip was calculated automatically and included in the total). The table was also quite a tight squeeze for 6. We did enjoy the saxophone/bass music in the background, fairly good food, and the good presentation of the food.

• Visited November 2012
Mountain View, California
“Best restaurant in Mountain View”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Vaso Azzuro is the best restaurant in Mountain View. You can easily miss this place as this is far at the end of Castro but once you are there, you will not regret at all. I have been to Vaso twice and had a great experience. Delicious Italian food and great music. Liked how they come to your table n sing italian style. They have very good collection of wines.

I highly recommend this restaurant and want to go back again with a group of friends.

• Visited June 2012
Malvern, Ohio
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The food was delicious and the service was friendly, attentive and fun. The owner, who visited us twice to make sure everything was okay, and her son and daughter were wonderful. I had bruschetta (simple and excellent); house salad (excellent dressing with a dijon tang); chicken picatta and penna with tomato pink sauce (my special request instead of veal - both the pasta and chicken were perfect). We had a wonderful bottle of merlot that was full bodied and delicious. Highly recommend this restaurant!

• Visited July 2012