“Pretty good, but expensive”

Vaso Azzurro Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Vaso Azzurro Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 328 Restaurants in Mountain View
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Mountain View, CA
“Pretty good, but expensive”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We went with 6 people to celebrate my son's 17th birthday. The bread/herbed olive oil they brought out as we ordered was a tasty beginning. We all ordered a salad or an appetizer, with two pairs opting to share salads (sharing incurred a $1.50 split fee). Our main courses were coq au vin (two ordered this), a seafood risotto special, spinach gnocchi, spinach ravioli, and a veal dish. They were good-sized portions, and those I tasted (the gnocchi and coq au vin), were good but not outstanding. For dessert ($7.95 each), we ordered flan, chocolate sundae, "Helen of Troy," creme brulee, an apple strudel special, and fresh berries. My mom, who is Spanish in background, said the flan was good, and my younger son enjoyed the creme brulee. I was disappointed that the "Helen of Troy," described as containing baklava, gelato, berries, and chocolate sauce along with orange liqueur, did not have more baklava. I thought the items would be separated on a plate, but instead they were all mixed together in a sundae glass, and I could hardly find the baklava, which is listed as a home-made specialty. The strudel was a generous portion and looked delicious. The fresh berries were a small portion and seemed quite overpriced. My son who had the birthday had the sundae, with a candle on top, and a wonderfully harmonized rendition of "Happy Birthday" sung to him by waitstaff and accompanied by a saxophone. All of the desserts were beautifully presented. Still, though, I was a little shocked when our bill came to almost $300 for the 6 of us (we did have a bottle of red wine at about $37 on top of everything else, and the tip was calculated automatically and included in the total). The table was also quite a tight squeeze for 6. We did enjoy the saxophone/bass music in the background, fairly good food, and the good presentation of the food.

• Visited November 2012

Mountain View, California
“Best restaurant in Mountain View”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Vaso Azzuro is the best restaurant in Mountain View. You can easily miss this place as this is far at the end of Castro but once you are there, you will not regret at all. I have been to Vaso twice and had a great experience. Delicious Italian food and great music. Liked how they come to your table n sing italian style. They have very good collection of wines.

I highly recommend this restaurant and want to go back again with a group of friends.

• Visited June 2012
Malvern, Ohio
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The food was delicious and the service was friendly, attentive and fun. The owner, who visited us twice to make sure everything was okay, and her son and daughter were wonderful. I had bruschetta (simple and excellent); house salad (excellent dressing with a dijon tang); chicken picatta and penna with tomato pink sauce (my special request instead of veal - both the pasta and chicken were perfect). We had a wonderful bottle of merlot that was full bodied and delicious. Highly recommend this restaurant!

• Visited July 2012
“Worst Rissoto Ever”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

This place isn't cheap and by the look of the restaurant, its location, its menu, and the Italian mom owners (I imagine) who come out and ask you how your food is, you'd think you'd be set for some great Italian home cooking.

I ordered the Sausage Rissoto. It was one of the two Rissotos on the about half dozen featured entries and was recommended by the waiter. I think it was closer to a college kids bad attempt paella than Rissoto. Rissoto is supposed to be really really creamy (almost like Tapioca or rice pudding). This wasn't. It was pretty much wet rice with some stuff thrown in it.

I told the waiter that, in a dead serious but nice way, that this was simply the worst Rissoto I'd ever had. He said he'd tell the kitchen. There are times when you can tell the a person is simply shining you on and simply really doesn't give a crap about what you think. This was one of those times. What made this more annoying is that during the meal the apparent Italian mom or and grandmothers roamed the restaurant asking in difficult English whether you were enjoying everything. What was I supposed to say? My mother in law is an elderly Italian mom. She's lovely. I don't think these women had a clue and it was beyond me to burst their bubble.

At the end of the meal, the water came back to ask if we were done and I reiterated just how bad the Rissoto was. His response was to ask if we wanted desert.

Little thing: The italian bread is they server with/before the meal is the soft kind. I like hard crust be so be it. They served this with an olive oil balsamic mixture that had pretty much no olive oil. I like balsamic but you can't leave out the olive oil.

Anyway, Mt. View has a ton of good places. Down the block or so is a great shabu shabu place (which was considerably cheaper) and I think pretty much next door is a random fast-food type Mexican place that's quite good etc etc etc. Point being, why anyone would go here or how this place stays in biz is a mystery. I can only assume that the people of Mtn View don't know the difference between good and bad Italian food.

• Visited May 2012
Northern California
“Good food, fun atmosphere, great service, fair prices”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I went back and forth over whether to give 4 or 5 stars - this is not a high-end gourmet restaurant but more of a family one. I settled on 5 because all of the components were there at a fair price.

This restaurant is quite lively and noisy, but it has the atmosphere of a local italian restaurant. The food was very good and prices were about $18 for an entree.

The night we were there they had a 2-piece band (bass and sax) playing quietly which contributed to the atmosphere. When we were ready to order, we flagged down a server who said he would bring our waiter. Half a minuite later, he returned saying that the waiter was busy so he would serve us. (<== other restaurants, please learn from this!)

Twice during our dinner a patron had a birthday celebration, so the waiters all came together to sing Happy Birthday to the guest. Now this is frankly an awkward moment at most restaurants because the waiters can't sing worth a darn. Well, guess what - the manager and waiters sang (almost) like Italian opera singers. It was boisterous, ON KEY (!) and really fun to watch.

Service was excellent with the manager stopping by shortly after we started to check how the meal was. To our surprise, at the end of the meal, they gave us a box of imported Italian biscotti to take home.

Food was very good, portions were generous. Cocktails were very good (and reasonably priced) and so were the Italian sodas.

I guess these guys just get the idea of a meal being more than just good food. No complaints at all. Would happily return.

• Visited March 2012