“unusual place - beer and burgers on the patio”
Review of Steak Out

Steak Out
Ranked #202 of 337 Restaurants in Mountain View
Cuisines: Fast Food
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is the go-to friday place for beer and burgers on the patio. The beer selection is unusual, in that they have full 1L mugs, and a selection of german and austrian beers as well as a few west coast-ers. The burgers are like in-n-out style (fairly small and cheesy) and you can't customize them - but they're made of grass fed beef and are super tasty - although they're gone in two bites. The sausage is also very good.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

This place has one of the most creative veggie burgers I've ever eaten: it's a falafel burger with tzatziki sauce, cabbage slaw, and a red pepper salsa (which they called an aioli) on their homemade potato buns. They also have sweet potato fries, which is one of the first foods I introduced my fiance to. Sweet potato fries are serious business.

They've got a good beer selection, and the seating is really great for casually hanging out and enjoying some leisurely food and drinks. The prices are pretty reasonable too-- the veggie burger is $7.50.

The outside is always full, which (along with the name) should say something about how nice it is just to be here!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Good chedder burger. Courteous service. Co-workers liked the beer selection

Reviewed June 2, 2012

Well shucks. What we ordered before is no longer available. The menu has changed & for us, not like it was before. No aioli w/fries. The chicken sandwich was nothing like before. My lambwich didn't have crumbled feta but a slab of feta which I removed. It overpowered the lamb. Hubby took the red peppers out of his sandwich...just not what it was before. Disappointing. However, if you're into the brew, then perhaps that's the draw & you should check it out.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Hubby and I wanted to try out a new place for lunch. Living in Mountain View, we felt sure that some place new would appeal to our hunger. Something easy but good & driving down Castro St, we saw “Steak Out” with a fair queue waiting to be fed. We checked it out online - I’m picky about my burgers. I like grass fed, preferably free range & local sourced would be nice. He prefers chicken. According to their menu, looks like they’d fit our cravings & we ventured in. So, this is a “biergarten”, looks like they have some great beers but we were here only to eat & they delivered well enough. The gentleman who hustled the beer & food around to tables (you order & get an number) seemed to me to be the owner? He stopped by several tables (alas, not ours & we were in range) to inquire how things were going. Everyone seemed to be responding happily enough. This is what we had: my burger (the “Wedge”) was good. Not enough mushrooms IMHO & the blue cheese-chive sauce was okay. That said, if I’m looking for a quick 100% grass-fed, locally grown hamburger, I’d have this one again. The rave reviews came from the husband, who ordered a “roasted chicken sandwich” w/goat cheese, roasted peppers, baby greens, basil aioli, on a torpedo roll. So good he has challenged me to make 1 at home. :-D I swiped a bite & indeed he scored a tasty sandwich. He requested the basil aioli on the side -- which we chose to dunk our russet fries into over the danish bleu cheese chive sauce offered with the fries. We wanted the sweet potato fries but they explicitly say GARLIC sweet potato fries & hubby is not into garlic. sigh* All in all, we plan to go back (& since my 1st draft of this review, we have.)On our second visit, I chose the lamb burger & was pleased. This time the owner came on by to see how things were. Hubby chose his chicken sandwich & while it was made up differently (different chef), it was just as good as the last time. If you’re into some fine looking beer (& I imagine tasty by the folks ordering beer) + good grub, this is worth checking out!