“Clean and Decent”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Mountain View
Los Angeles
“Clean and Decent”
Reviewed April 12, 2007

This Hilton Garden Inn is right inline with what I expected. Simple, clean and convenient. It is solid 3-star hotel-nothing more, nothing less. Room was very clean as was the breakfast area. The buffett was decent and had some healthy options. I didn't use the pool area (too cold) but it looked better than average for a Garden Inn. If you need somewhere to stay that is centrally located--and are not looking for luxury, this hotel is a fine option.

• Liked — Simple, clean--just what i expected.
  • Disliked — Beds are not so comfortable
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Taipei, TW
Reviewed January 9, 2007

I stayed one night as a MR to retain my status with HHonor. I must say for its location the hotel stands out in keeping the noise to a minimum. Room was clean, however the free internet can use some improvement. Good value!

• Stayed December 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ffpointsplease
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed May 15, 2006

I stayed at the Hilton Graden Inn last week while on a business trip to Palo Alto. The Palo Alto hotel prices have begun to get out of hand, but this was a reasonably priced alternative. (I paid
$145 per night) Although it is right on El Camino Real, not many of the rooms faced the street (it is an L-shaped hotel perpindicular to the street, with the base of the L on the far side) so it was easy to get a quiet room. The hotel is also convenient to San Jose Airport; it is just a few blocks from the highway and it only took me about 15 minutes to get to the airport (admittedly very early Saturday morning). I didn't try the restaurant for lunch or dinner, but the buffet was excellent. My room was large and comfortable. I don't think that there was anything partiicularly special about this hotel, but it is a good value and I would consider staying there again next time I'm in town.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank GovBizzTraveler
San Jose, California
Reviewed January 30, 2006

We stayed here night before last when we were making a local, short-distance move and couldn't face unpacking. I chose HGI over Homestead Studio Suites, which was $50 cheaper, and Marriott Homestay, which was the same price. I chose HGI mainly because of their frequent guest program, which gives you hotel points and airline miles for each stay, and because their hotel chains include some nicer places I'll want to stay at later.

I wanted a non-smoking room, king bed, fitness center, and restaurant. I also wanted the option of staying a second night, which I couldn't get at the Marriott Homestay.

Luckily, most of the HGI rooms, including ours, don't face El Camino Real, which is a very busy street. Homestay is going to be noisier because it's very close to Highway 85. I didn't get a look at the Homestay rooms, though, so I don't know what they look like. Marriott's rooms also don't face El Camino Real.

For a long stay, I'd choose the Marriott because their room had a two-burner range and an apartment-sized refrigerator with a true freezer. The closet is bigger and accessible from the entryway and the bathroom.

HGI had an under-counter fridge and no range. They have a better fitness room and an actual restaurant, which unfortunately closes at 10pm. Parking in both hotels' lots is plentiful and free.

Marriott Homestay has a computer in the lobby with free internet access. HGI has a computer room with a few computers, free internet access, and free printing. I believe both chains offer free in-room internet access via a cable tucked in the desk.

The HGI staff, both daytime and night, were friendly, knowledgeable, and accommodating. I got late check-out by calling the front desk in the morning.

• Stayed January 2006
4 Thank cades2go
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed November 22, 2005

Highly recommended. We had two rooms in this hotel for visiting family for two nights Sunday & Monday 20-21 November 2005. We booked directly through Hilton's website.
The HGI is still pretty, new & clean. There's chocolate chip cookies at the front desk in the evenings. The lobby & restaurant area are nice, spacious and relaxing.
The breakfast buffet is still great. In fact, it is outstanding, not as greasy like its comparable competition like Ken's (down the street) or Hobees (a few miles away) but without the dedicated restaurants' larger selections. The HGI grill may be one of the nicest breakfasts that I've had in the area... We didn't encounter any questionable food service like in the previous review, but we didn't order any hamburgers at lunch time either. Our deal had the All American breakfast buffets (normally $14 tax included) included with the double occupancy rooms. The waitstaff mistakenly billed us for the breakfasts. It was easy to straighten out. We should have made it more clear that it was included with our rooms.
We live in the neighborhood and looked at about eight different hotels within walking distance. Of those that had both a fitness room & coffee makers inside the units, the HGI and the Hotel Avante next door to it were both fit to recommend to family. Hotel Avante is normally much more expensive, maybe due to Google booking so many of its rooms. Hotel Avante only has a little cold-breakfast room. There's a nice new Townplace Suites by Marriott nearby as well; but I believe it is a place better suited for extended stays...I could be wrong... We also considered the Holiday Inn Express down the street but its room doors open to the outdoors/elements. Otherwise, that would have been quite a bargain.

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank DarthAnonymous
Pensacola
Reviewed September 21, 2004

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel since it opened and have generally thought it to be among the better choices in Silicon Valley. It is generally very clean and the owners seem to be local and engaged. I have spent about 35 nights at this hotel each of the last 5 years.

Lately, my experiences have not been as good. On most recent trip, I ordered a hamburger from the restaurant medium-rare... it came out nearly raw. I nicely asked the waiter to have it cooked a little more. When the waiter brought it to the cook, you could hear the cook complaining and using the "F" word in the dinning room. He was clearly very agitated, banging pans and cursing. When my burger finally returned it was absolutely charcoal. I declined to eat it and asked to speak with the hotel manager who was barely polite and seemed uninterested in my experience... This and other recent experiences have my looking for a new place to stay in Silicon Valley.

9 Thank Ducatista-1
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 8, 2003

We have stayed here 4 or 5 times with our 3 kids. The staff is very accomodating and friendly. The restaurant is great- breakfast buffet and again, friendly staff. There is a nice pool and work out room. This hotel is new and pretty and very clean. You can walk to a great park with the kids, or be on the highway in minutes. Highly recommend this if you need to be in the area or even if you want a base for touring Northern California!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The Grand Hotel
The Grand Hotel
#1 of 33 in Sunnyvale
Hampton Inn & Suites Mountain View

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Mountain View? Share your experiences!