“Just OK, with little or no bang for the bucks”

Mount Shasta Resort
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Mount Shasta
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Mt Shasta Resort recently, booking a 2-bedroom lakeside chalet for two nights. When booking we had to pre-pay the entire cost of our stay, which seemed a bit strange to me, especially with a very inflexible cancellation policy. When we checked in we were directed to our chalet, more than a mile down the highway with a driveway that was very easy to miss: We drove straight past the driveway the first time, and several times after that. When we first entered the chalet it appeared to be a 1 bedroom instead of 2 bedrooms, so I called the front desk. The person on the front desk said "no, that unit is 2 bedrooms", but couldn't tell me where the other bedroom might be. We finally found the second bedroom behind what appeared to be a closet door: A very small, crowded room with 2 twin beds and no TV, totally out of keeping with the rest of the chalet's furnishing and decor. Plus, given the megabucks we were paying for the 2 bedroom room rate, even though the rest of the rooms were nicely furnished the entire chalet seemed quite overpriced. Maybe that's why we needed to pre-pay for our stay, to keep us from balking at the accommodations. That's certainly what it felt like.

We did stay for 2 nights and did enjoy it, but no more than we would have enjoyed a more reasonably priced accommodation. The outside deck overlooking the lake was nice, and the kitchen was well equipped. The TV in the living room didn't respond to the remote control, and the dining area table and chairs were just plain uncomfortable. It seemed to us that we splurged our bucks and got no 'splurge' in return.

We ate 1 breakfast and 1 dinner at the restaurant in the Lodge. I don't recommend it. The views of Mt Shasta may be great, but (as another reviewer has said) the service is painfully slow, even when the restaurant is almost empty. The one dinner I had there I ordered the coconut shrimp, and it arrived at the table burned. I mean totally burned - little black nuggets with charred and ashy coconut threads sticking out of the black breading. I was shocked. I asked our waiter if the shrimp didn't seem burned to him and he replied "it didn't when I picked it up in the kitchen", then told me to eat one before he put in a second order. What??? I was speechless and just stared at him. He finally gulped; admitted that yes, my shrimp was badly burned; and brought me a new order of shrimp - but not until the rest of the table had long finished their dinners.

The area is truly gorgeous, the small town of Mt Shasta quite charming. We will definitely visit Mt Shasta again, but won't be staying at the Mt Shasta Resort.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank helmerphud

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed in Mt Shasta Resort in October 2012. We were delighted by our chalet. It is extremely spacious (almost the size of our house), well equipped kitchen, and is located among the trees. We even had a view of the Siskiyou Lake from our deck.

I am rating this as a 4 star only due to the rest of the service, namely the reception and the restaurant. We asked the reception for hikes that could be done and they were not very knowledgeable. It seems like they directed everyone to walk around the lake, which while beautiful, gets you nowhere close to the mountains. We stopped at the mountaineering shop in town and got much more useful information... As far as the restaurant, I would say the food is average though the ambiance is nice.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Mt Shasta Resort, especially the chalet.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Facility is very nice but pricey. Their cancellation policy is very inflexible so be sure you're going to be able to make the trip. Staff in the office slow but housekeeping staff excellent and very helpful. Restaurant service EXTREMELY slow and had bad experience with shrimp I ordered --- made me sick.

Room Tip: Ask for chalet with view of lake
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mcchrystal
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I really enjoyed my trip to Mount Shasta and the Mount Shasta Resort was a welcome surprise to our trip. We drove by several hotels found on tripadvisor and this resort was the most appealing. We rented a one-bedroom chalet in the woods close to the lake and it felt like we had discovered this area's 2nd best kept secret, the first being that beautiful mountain! I really enjoyed walking around the lake, experiencing a spectacular view of Mount Shasta and feeling at home in a comfortable, serene, environment. I would defintely stay here again given the chance. The only negative is the need to leave by 11 am with a surcharge for a late checkout. I had not heard of this before and would liked to have stayed until 1 ish, but that was not possible. I do understand this policy, its just a difficult place to leave.

2  Thank SandyX111
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We decided to stay at Mount Shasta to explore the trout fishing in the area. We stayed in a one bedroom condo close to the main lodge (room 104). At first I thought I would prefer to be in the area with the rooms on the lake, I actually enjoyed the accommodations near the lodge. It was SO quiet! We had been traveling for 3 weeks staying in hotels and it was so nice to check into a condo. The condos are very large and comfortable with a full, fully equipped kitchen. We decided to have dinner in every night. The beds were comfortable and we left the window open at night. The bathrooms are a bit weird--very large with lots of wasted space. However, the wash basin and counter are outside of the bathroom which was very convenient. My only complaint is that there is not enough light in the living room. There are only two small wall lights so it is impossible to sit in the living room and read after dark. What we liked the most about the lodge was the golf course. We played all three days we were there. We played in the afternoon and easily got onto the course Without reservations and played on our own. Got around 18 holes very quickly and as a guest of the lodge only paid $45 each. The course is in great shape and is very interesting. We did walk the course the first time, but rode after that. The front 9 is quite an effort to walk, lots of hills and it was very hot while we were there. The back 9 is much easier. The views of Mt. Shasta are fantastic. There also are tennis courts which we didn't use. The spa had just closed (Temporarily we were told) when we arrived. The lodge is only about a 5-10 minute drive from the Lodge where you can buy groceries, eat out.The Lodge also has a restaurant and bar. There is an on site laundry room where there is a coin operated washer and dryer.. We definitely will be back.

Room Tip: I lied the section we were in (only 6 duplexes in this area) but thought the area near the lake also...
1  Thank peggymack
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Chalet 140, spacious and fully equipped with a full kitchen (but no dishwasher except wifey). Clean and comfortable, among the pine trees with a close-in lake view. Reverse cycle a/c and gas fire log, flat screen TV in the living room and old box style in bedroom, free Wi-Fi and ice machine down the row of chalets. Comfortable bed. Quiet, peaceful. Bit of a dust-up at checkout as the price was different and there was someone else's dining charge on my bill, but all was cheerfully corrected. No newspapers available in morning we were told.

Room Tip: Lakeviews are pretty restricted so I'm not sure they are worth the extra money.
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Mt. Shasta Resort has become one of my favorite getaways! Conveniently situated off the highway, nestled along the shores of Lake Siskiyou, the modern, fully equipped chateaus are charming. I spend most of my time on the deck, overlooking the lake, or near the fireplace on chilly evenings.

In the morning I either run around the forest floor path that surrounds the entire lake, or ride my bike along the country roads - always finishing with a swim - the water is heavenly.

Down the road from the modern cabin "chateaus" there is a golf course, tennis court and restaurant/bar that sits below majestic Mt. Shasta - ponds, flowers are everywhere.

I commute between California and Oregon and look forward to my twice monthly stopover that has become a beautiful, peaceful slice of heaven. The staff are all very helpful, especially Bonnie, who I believe is the front desk manager - she has gone out of her way to assist me with reservations - super accommodating!

Whether you are traveling on your own, with a sweetheart or as a family- you will LOVE this special place- a real gem!

Sarah RN

Room Tip: Request lakeside- spectacular! The cabin/chateaus on the opposite side are also nice; extra price t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
McCloud Mercantile Hotel
Swiss Holiday Lodge
Swiss Holiday Lodge
#5 of 9 in Mount Shasta

Been to Mount Shasta Resort? Share your experiences!