“In regards to unclebo”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Mount Shasta
Mount Shasta, California
“In regards to unclebo”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Yes the Finlandia has an excellent Sauna and Hot tub however you mention a pool? Don't know what you were smoking or dringing but the Finlandia does not have a pool and never has had one, and second of all you do not need to get the Sauna key a day early it is stated on line and when you check in it is by appointment only so if you just pick a time it is ready and availble. I stay there all the time and thought the rooms in the lower part might be a little old fashion they are nice and the Delux rooms are very nice and updated and i have been to most motels in Mount Shasta and Finlandia is one of the lowest in price besides a few dives i would never think of staying in. And i have never had any problem getting ahold of anyone sence they changed the phone services they used to have.

Room Tip: Room 25 which is a one bedroom apt off by it self very quit and private room 22 view of the Mountian...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Tami D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Berkeley, California
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We stayed here twice and enjoyed the sauna both times. The rooms had a distinctly hotel smell, which made it unpleasant. I thought it was overpriced. Ok, that's LInda speaking, for myself I have to start down the street, first visit to Shasta. it was midnight and we stopped at the Seven Eleven. I got a burrito and put it in the microwave and it exploded. That was truly dramatic. So by the time we got to Finlandia I thought we were in good hands. One touch I liked at the hotel was matching paintings above the beds. And yes, the sauna was very good though Linda almost passed out. Ok, back to you hon. The staff is cordial once you get ahold of them. The keys to the sauna seem to reside somewhere down the road.
The swimming pool looks like it hasn't been used since 1978. Will we go back? Bill again... I must say that the morning we got back on the road, we asked and got directed to the Black Bear Diner. Wow. Wow. There was this mob of old ladies eating all kinds of stuff. And then when the waiter, who is the owner's son checked on us because he forgot to put in our order, and knelt by Linda, she looked over and saw this guy kneeling there and screamed really loudly! Then she looked back and he was still there and so screamed again. Then I got pissed and asked him to back away from the table. Anyway, he comped us our breakfast which was really nice. Back to you hon. In conclusion, our stay at the Finlandia was traumatic, though it's not your fault. We might be your perfect customers.

Room Tip: be sure to ask for the sauna the night before
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Redding, California
Reviewed December 25, 2011

I was looking for a 2 bedroom suite in Mt. Shasta for my family to stay a couple of nights and Finlandia had the best value. We had a wonderful time. The room was large and comfortable and had the feel of a cabin in the woods. It was clean and in a quiet area in the back. The beds and pillows were comfortable. I really appreciated that it had a microwave and a refridgerator as we were able to eat in the room for several meals. We didn't try the Sauna, but I did really enjoy the hot tub. If you are a light sleeper like me, be aware that the heater comes on and off all thru the night. It is not super loud, but it could be annoying to some. Also we could hear the people next door moving around and showering, etc. in the morning before we were ready to get up. Both of these issues were easily solved with the use of ear plugs - I never leave home without them! The only other thing that could be a little better is the towels are small and thin and there was only enough for one each, which if you are using the hot tub in the evening and a shower in the morning it wasn't enough. This was easily solved by asking for extra towels, which they happily provided. Or you could bring some beach towels yourself for use in the sauna. Overall I am very pleased with our stay and that I didn't have to spend alot of money to take my family on a vacation to Mt.Shasta. I definately recommend it and wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LJH79
Europe
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights. The room was comfortable and clean. The shower was not entirely clean. The furniture was old but the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katherine F
Belmont, California
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Have been staying at Finlandia for many years and always appreciate that the owners are always upgrading.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Mountain View, California
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I really used to like this place. The trip before this most recent one there were some minor problems, but we thought we would give it another try. Our mistake.
Although management had apparently changed since the previous issues, we are definitely
NOT going back ~ awoken by teenage hoodlums knocking on the door of the room we were staying in ~ on what was supposed to be a relaxing weekend getaway morning. Apparently they were going door-to-door, trying out some kind of scam.
No management in sight, of course ~ or even reachable for that matter (we tried the office and all available phone numbers.)

(They may have redecorated or even renovated, hence two stars instead of one.)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank knowthyelf

Travelers are raving about these Mount Shasta hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I've stayed at Finlandia several times now and always leave happy. They have 'nice' refurbished rooms up at the top of the property, and the pretty average ones below. The rooms are always furnished with garage sale type of things...and are interesting shapes and sizes. Nothing cookie cutter here. I had a desk chair in my room last time...just the chair, no desk.
BUT, I had a full kitchen, a big closet, lots of great space and it is ALWAYS clean and comfortable.
I'm a 3-5 star traveller, and this is definitely a 2 star...but I love it.
And they are pet friendly.

Room Tip: If you want 'nice', get a room at the top that is refurbished. They are also quieter.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo