Review Highlights
Fly fishing in Napier, New Zealand

This was my first trip to New Zealand, but wanted to do some fly fishing. Not familiar with the... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
cookieeater49
Jack IS the guide you want for Northern California.

Reviewed December 25, 2019
luckyfishinghats

All reviews his wife chilli the river steelhead fish beef puerto montt great guide drift boat local guide rainbow trout cruise ship guided trip great guy guide service his knowledge business trip
Selected filters
Reviewed December 25, 2019

Jack Trout is thoughtful and dedicated to the core from sunrise to sunset. He told me that my father-in-law and I should expect to catch at least five steelhead if we were really on our game. Then on the day of our float, under his tutelage, we landed twelve steelhead and hooked countless others. He blew our expectations out of the water -- literally. Steelhead are notorious for being extremely hard to catch, but he made our dream a reality! (He also is an awesome chef and his mid-stream lunches are gourmet!) If you are considering a guide, don't settle for anything less -- float with Jack Trout!

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed December 11, 2019

This spring I called Jack to chat about going bonefishing. He recommended central/southern Belize. After an outstanding fishing trip in Chile and Argentina, where I first used Jack and his kick-ass guide, Mattias, I knew that I'd be in good hands in Belize. So, I went ahead and booked the trip. A few weeks later, his guides - brothers Wayne and Dan Castillanos, had me casting to big bonefish, permit, tarpon, and snook! It was a trip of a lifetime, one that I hope to repeat again and again. If you're looking for an honest, competent, and credible guide/contact for your next fishing trip, you've found the Holy Grail. Jack and his wife, Corolla, are the best. I won't book through anyone else. They're family, now. Thanks again for the wonderful trips!

Date of experience: March 2019
Reviewed December 1, 2019

I was set up with Dennis for this trip, once connected Dennis stayed engaged via text before and after the trip. I do reccomend bringing some big tarpon flies with you (better to have and not use vice wanting and not having).

All in all a good trip with great memories.

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed November 21, 2019

A friend and I spent several hours on the Klamath River with Jack Trout and his border collie, Beef, floating down the river while getting nibbles and bites just about every cast and hooking into some 5/6 pound natives. Catch and release. Of course. And sprinkled in with the great fishing Jack provided some fascinating history narratives ranging in a wide variety of subjects. And, to top it all off, Jack put together a wok inspired lunch which included shrimp and steak and veggies. I don't think anyone could ask for a little bit more.

Date of experience: November 2019
1  Thank Jeffrey F
Reviewed November 2, 2019

Jack is incredible, knowledgeable, and entertaining! I caught my lifetime biggest steelhead- a wild one- while fishing with him on the Trinity river. I also landed a massive salmon on the fly on the Klamath. Three times we had it to release, and on the final occasion, Jack literally grabbed it so he could safely release it back to the river, all 40 pounds plus of it! He and his wife have a top notch guide service that will spoil you!

Date of experience: December 2018