Review Highlights
Bonefishing Nassau

Had a work trip with only one day to fish, couldn't make it to one of the other destination... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
635konrad
Fishing with Jack is an outstanding experience

My brother and I have fished with many guides and Jack Trout was great. Jack took us to one his... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Brad D
Los Angeles

All reviews his wife chilli the river puerto varas fish steelhead beef great trip float trip drift boat great guide local guide rainbow trout guided trip cruise ship his knowledge bass
Selected filters
Reviewed September 12, 2018

Fished the Truckee River in late August, which isn't prime time but it was the time that worked for our schedule and Jack Trout teamed with an expert for the Truckee to make it a great experience. It is a beautiful river but not an easy wade so be sure to wear boots with cleats and bring a wading staff. Our guide, Chris, was remarkably knowledgable and we learned a few new tricks which will be our new best practices when fishing similar waters. We did a half day guided trip which was a success but it had us longing for a bit more. The greatest part of this trip was being introduced to some new techniques in terms of set up and presentation. If you go, be ready to learn and take some notes for future use.

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

Wanted an introduction for a family of 4 with 2 teens. Jack was excellent- super hands on, thoughtful, and entertaining. Jack was extremely knowledgeable, efficient, and insightful (not an easy task with 2 teens). Booked 2 full days and our family wished it were longer. Amazing hot lunch prepared on site. Jack Trout has it all dialed in. Will book again. Thank you Jack!

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed July 14, 2018 via mobile

Jack got me setup with my guide for the day, and Eloy put in the work to get me my fish. I'm a novice flyfisher on the salt, but had caught bonefish previously so I met up with Eloy the day before to gameplan. I told him, I wanted a permit.
The conditions, for my day were really tough. Totally overcast made it very VERY difficult to see fish before we spooked them, but Eloy persisted and he got me on my permit. Caught several other species, including bonefish. Also had several chances at tarpon, one of which was as big as me. Lol. What a great experience, can't wait to return and get my grandslam done on a sunny day.

Date of experience: May 2018
1  Thank Jason L
Reviewed July 5, 2018

I've fished with Jack a number of times over the years so when I decided to take my 8 year old son out for his first trip, Jack immediately came to mind. And again, the best time was had by all. My boy caught a nice-sized trout and instantly became a life-long fisherman. Again, cannot recommend Jack highly enough.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed June 9, 2018

Having been on many guided and non-guided fly fishing trips, I booked this trip through Jack Trout with reasonable expectations. No guide puts the fish on your hook. Their job is to guide you to opportunity. In that regard, Jack and Travis excelled. The fact that I may have snagged more trees than trout is strictly a reflection on me.

Our experience was superb!! Jack & Carola handled all planning details - setting us up for 1/2 day wades on the McCloud and Upper Sac, as well as a full day float on the Lower Sac. Yet upon our arrival, it was clear that Old Man Weather was not planning to cooperate. Without me even asking, Jack proactively made changes to our trip - revising his own personal schedule - to maximize our fly fishing experience. We ended up wading Day 1 with Travis on the McCloud. Travis provided great counsel, locating fish and adjusting tackle as the afternoon progressed. And Oh Man, what gorgeous scenery!

Day 2 Jack thankfully canceled the Lower Sac float (so we didn’t bake in near 100 degrees) in favor of a float on the Upper Sac filled with great water, plenty of fish, lively conversation...and more than my share of tree tangles. BTW, Jack was incredibly patient about that. Not to mention the patience Jack demonstrated when after an hour of driving to the put in, we learned my buddy left his license in the hotel. Jack took that in stride as he and my buddy went in search of a replacement license while I fished the bank. The scenery was incredible. And more than once Jack demonstrated his skills as a boatsman while smoothly navigating rapids.

On Day 1 my fishing buddy had struggled with maneuvering the terrain and fast water on the McCloud. As well, on Day 3 we had to be back in Mt. Shasta so I could gather my wife at completion of her 3-day mountain climbing adventure. So with those added constraints, Jack adjusted his schedule on the fly - canceling our 1/2 day wade on the Upper Sac for a 1/2 day float on the Klamath. No complaints from Jack. He simply focused on what was best for us (his clients). Turned out to be our most productive day of fishing on a beautiful stretch of river with no one else around. Jack hooked me up with salmon dry fly that was just what those trout wanted.

On the whole, Jack proved to be an astute business operator, a talented and knowledgeable guide, excellent chef (best meal I’ve ever had on a riverbank - better than most restaurants), witty and enjoyable conversationalist and all achieved with a clear focus on maximizing our fly fishing experience. Jack Trout will be my go-to guide service for as long as Jack wants to work.

Date of experience: June 2018