Review Highlights
The Best of Patagonia Fly Fishing

Big Browns, fierce Rainbows, great guides, beautiful scenery, wild boar, soaring condors... read more

Reviewed yesterday
G36AMmichaelt
via mobile
Bonefishing

Jack Trout thanks For Pairing me up with Captain Sydney in Nassau, . Bahamas for a great Day of... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
robertc1047
Millwood, New York
via mobile

All reviews his wife chilli the river puerto varas fish beef steelhead great trip float trip drift boat local guide great guide guided trip rainbow trout look forward his knowledge bass
Reviewed July 14, 2018 via mobile

Jack got me setup with my guide for the day, and Eloy put in the work to get me my fish. I'm a novice flyfisher on the salt, but had caught bonefish previously so I met up with Eloy the day before to gameplan. I told him, I wanted a permit.
The conditions, for my day were really tough. Totally overcast made it very VERY difficult to see fish before we spooked them, but Eloy persisted and he got me on my permit. Caught several other species, including bonefish. Also had several chances at tarpon, one of which was as big as me. Lol. What a great experience, can't wait to return and get my grandslam done on a sunny day.

1  Thank Jason L
Reviewed July 5, 2018

I've fished with Jack a number of times over the years so when I decided to take my 8 year old son out for his first trip, Jack immediately came to mind. And again, the best time was had by all. My boy caught a nice-sized trout and instantly became a life-long fisherman. Again, cannot recommend Jack highly enough.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed June 9, 2018

Having been on many guided and non-guided fly fishing trips, I booked this trip through Jack Trout with reasonable expectations. No guide puts the fish on your hook. Their job is to guide you to opportunity. In that regard, Jack and Travis excelled. The fact that I may have snagged more trees than trout is strictly a reflection on me.

Our experience was superb!! Jack & Carola handled all planning details - setting us up for 1/2 day wades on the McCloud and Upper Sac, as well as a full day float on the Lower Sac. Yet upon our arrival, it was clear that Old Man Weather was not planning to cooperate. Without me even asking, Jack proactively made changes to our trip - revising his own personal schedule - to maximize our fly fishing experience. We ended up wading Day 1 with Travis on the McCloud. Travis provided great counsel, locating fish and adjusting tackle as the afternoon progressed. And Oh Man, what gorgeous scenery!

Day 2 Jack thankfully canceled the Lower Sac float (so we didn’t bake in near 100 degrees) in favor of a float on the Upper Sac filled with great water, plenty of fish, lively conversation...and more than my share of tree tangles. BTW, Jack was incredibly patient about that. Not to mention the patience Jack demonstrated when after an hour of driving to the put in, we learned my buddy left his license in the hotel. Jack took that in stride as he and my buddy went in search of a replacement license while I fished the bank. The scenery was incredible. And more than once Jack demonstrated his skills as a boatsman while smoothly navigating rapids.

On Day 1 my fishing buddy had struggled with maneuvering the terrain and fast water on the McCloud. As well, on Day 3 we had to be back in Mt. Shasta so I could gather my wife at completion of her 3-day mountain climbing adventure. So with those added constraints, Jack adjusted his schedule on the fly - canceling our 1/2 day wade on the Upper Sac for a 1/2 day float on the Klamath. No complaints from Jack. He simply focused on what was best for us (his clients). Turned out to be our most productive day of fishing on a beautiful stretch of river with no one else around. Jack hooked me up with salmon dry fly that was just what those trout wanted.

On the whole, Jack proved to be an astute business operator, a talented and knowledgeable guide, excellent chef (best meal I’ve ever had on a riverbank - better than most restaurants), witty and enjoyable conversationalist and all achieved with a clear focus on maximizing our fly fishing experience. Jack Trout will be my go-to guide service for as long as Jack wants to work.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed May 23, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I fished for 3 days last week with Jack Trout Fly Fishing out of Mount Shasta California. The fishing was really good. (I have been fly fishing for 30 years)

First day we floated the upper Sacramento River in an inflatable. The rapids were very mild. Jack has been floating this stretch of river for better than 20 years, so he knows every rock by name. He is in expert rower; you feel completely comfortable. Of course my wife caught the biggest fish, a beautiful 17-inch rainbow. She also caught the most fish.

The second day, my lovely wife gave me a break and did not fish. I caught several nice big rainbows. I had at least twenty strong strikes that didn't set. And I had several good fish on that escaped. That was probably my fault for not keeping my rod tip up enough. It's very important when you hook up, to keep your rod nearly straight up.

We fished using 5wt rods with a strike indicator with two or three flies below it. All the fish we caught hit the lowermost bead head nymph. Jack also has a rod rigged for dry fly fishing and I cast to a number of rising fish. The float trip is through the national forest and it's just beautiful. And added to that, we were the only people fishing on the river. Jack's the only guide in the area with a permit for that stretch of the Sacramento River. So there are no other guides /fishermen fishing from the shore or floating. All by yourself! Imagine that in California.

Jack Trout is an excellent fishing guide and a decent man. He grew up in the area, over in Portola and his father was also a fishing guide. So you would be hard-pressed to find a more knowledgeable guide. He is very good company. He's patient, personable and professional. He is a member of the California Historical Society which makes for some very good, and dare I say, educational conversation. And he has everything! Rods, reels, boots, wade socks, waders -- you name it. And as if that weren't enough Jack is an excellent cook. He actually serves up hot cooked meals on the river and they are gourmet quality. I kid you not.

On my third day of fishing with Jack Trout Fly Fishing, Jack sent me down to Redding to fish with a young guide named Ryan. And what a day we had. We fished from a drift boat, a McKenzie type boat. Those trout down below the dam are big and strong. I caught 3 big strong rainbows in the 18 to 20 inch range and had another 15 fish on that I failed to bring to hand. I must have had another 20-25 strikes that day that did not hook up, just because. Sometimes you do everything right but the fish just don't take the hook. All the fish that we hooked were big -- all better than fifteen inches. Ryan is also great company and a good instructor, a first class guide.

We stayed in Mount Shasta at the Best Western Treetop hotel and we found it very pleasing. It's clean and comfortable and the staff there could not be kinder. Everyone there greets you with a smile. If you've never seen Mount Shasta, you are missing it. The mountain itself is impressive. It's better than 14,000 feet high and you won't find a prettier mountain anywhere. The people are friendly.

We will definitely be fishing with Jack Trout again. Happy hookups!

1  Thank G36AMmichaelt
Reviewed May 17, 2018

The fly fishing trip Jack set up for my wife and I on our honeymoon made the trip! We just got back from Costa Rica and had an incredible experience that we could never have done without working with Jack. We booked the trip to Costa Rica and knew we wanted to fly fish but no idea where to start. Enter Jack Trout. We were staying in a fairly remote location in Punta Islita and he found a great guide to take us the second day down there on an incredible inshore trip where we landed mahi-mahi and tuna. He also set up one of the most fun fly fishing float trips I have ever been on. We spend the majority of the fourth day floating down Rio Corobici fly fishing for Machaca, and that fish fights! We were using a 7wt rod with a small piece of foam for the fly. The Machaca were hitting hard too! We landed dozens of them and my wife even landed one pushing 7lbs.

However, none of that could have been possible without Jack’s knowledge and experience working with these guides around Costa Rica. He and his wife were incredibly helpful throughout the process answering emails and phone calls any day of the week. I even had some trouble getting questions to one of the guides while down there and as soon as I reached out to Jack he was able to contact the guide and responded with answers the same day. He was an invaluable resource throughout the whole trip! I would definitely recommend reaching out to Jack before planning any fly fishing trip!