Review Highlights
Bonefishing Nassau

Had a work trip with only one day to fish, couldn't make it to one of the other destination... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
635konrad
Fishing with Jack is an outstanding experience

My brother and I have fished with many guides and Jack Trout was great. Jack took us to one his... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Brad D
Los Angeles

All reviews his wife chilli the river puerto varas fish steelhead beef great trip float trip drift boat great guide local guide rainbow trout guided trip cruise ship his knowledge bass
Selected filters
Reviewed May 17, 2018

The fly fishing trip Jack set up for my wife and I on our honeymoon made the trip! We just got back from Costa Rica and had an incredible experience that we could never have done without working with Jack. We booked the trip to Costa Rica and knew we wanted to fly fish but no idea where to start. Enter Jack Trout. We were staying in a fairly remote location in Punta Islita and he found a great guide to take us the second day down there on an incredible inshore trip where we landed mahi-mahi and tuna. He also set up one of the most fun fly fishing float trips I have ever been on. We spend the majority of the fourth day floating down Rio Corobici fly fishing for Machaca, and that fish fights! We were using a 7wt rod with a small piece of foam for the fly. The Machaca were hitting hard too! We landed dozens of them and my wife even landed one pushing 7lbs.

However, none of that could have been possible without Jack’s knowledge and experience working with these guides around Costa Rica. He and his wife were incredibly helpful throughout the process answering emails and phone calls any day of the week. I even had some trouble getting questions to one of the guides while down there and as soon as I reached out to Jack he was able to contact the guide and responded with answers the same day. He was an invaluable resource throughout the whole trip! I would definitely recommend reaching out to Jack before planning any fly fishing trip!

1  Thank Phil D
Reviewed May 14, 2018

May 3, 2018 my friend George and I floated 8 miles of the upper Sacramento River with stellar fly fishing guide Jack Trout. It was my second guided fly fishing trip with Jack. Two years ago Jack guided me fishing the Conservancy section of the McCloud River. That was trip was one of the best fishing days of my life and the recent upper Sac experience was equally memorable. The fishing was steady all day, the river was pristine and much of the float was inaccessible to vehicles. It was an exhilarating day of fishing, rafting, and superior camaraderie topped off with a delicious lunch of Chilean chicken, rice pilaf, and salad. I am looking forward to next year’s fly fishing trip with Jack Trout!

Reviewed May 13, 2018

They call Bonefish the Grey Ghosts because they are elusive, disappearing before your very eyes.
Interestingly, when we were traveling to Nassau Bahamas I thought it might be a great opportunity to spend a day in search of one of my bucket list fish, the Bonefish, and the Bahama Islands have a reputation as one of the go-to locations in the world... albeit, not the Island of New Providence or Nassau.
After an exhaustive internet search I was starting to think I was going to be skunked in finding a Bonefish guide, expert, or fishery when I tripped upon Jack Trout Fly Fishing. After a quick Email to Jack Trout Fly Fishing we spoke on the phone, and I booked a one-day trip to Bonefish on Nassau as we vacationed at the Atlantis Resort on paradise Island.
My wife would be accompanying me, but not fishing, so I wanted to make sure the adventure would be acceptable for her too, and Jack assured me that our guide would be dedicated to making sure we were both enjoying our days activities.
Our guide, Sidney "Bonefish" Walker picked us up on time at the Marina in Atlantis where we were staying. He arrived in his sea worthy Boston Whaler Montauk with 140 HP Yamaha. From the beginning he was a perfect gentleman, conversing and sharing knowledge. I brought my own 8 weight rod and reel, so I can not comment on the equipment Sidney offered, but before we started to fish Sidney asked to see my casting capability so he could better judge how to best guide me to the fish.
We traveled to an area near Rose Island where the water was flat and the island lined with Mangroves. We spotted several grouping of Bonefish, and I hook and lost a few early on that had weight to them. As the day wore on, the fish became more spooky and elusive. At days end I managed two Bonefish, both small... but still my first ever Bonefish.
My wife fully enjoyed walking the flats and enjoying the new experience. In fact, after a week in the Bahamas, when I asked her what her favorite day was, she said "The day we went fishing". WOW... she has never said that, in fact, mostly despises the idea of fishing.
I doubt Bonefishing in Nassau is even close in quality compared to Andros or other Bahama Islands, but for the price and convenience I would not hesitate to fish again with Jack Trout Fly Fishing and guide Sidney Walker when visiting Nassau.
Thanks for the memories.
Troy

Reviewed May 10, 2018

I purchased a gift certificate for my friend, who wanted to try flyfishing. I decided to engage Jack Trout to arrange the experience. So happy I did! Jack "went the distance" to ensure that we had a fantastic experience. We were able to secure a date that worked well for us on the Deschutes River in OR with Brian Silvey. Brian was friendly, knowledgeable, accommodating and a great teacher. So patient and encouraging! We were fortunate to have perfect weather. This was an experience we will never forget and definitely want to repeat! We highly recommend Jack Trout.

Reviewed April 25, 2018

My dad and I were completely new to fly-fishing and I had never been rafting before and we both had a pretty great day on the river. Despite the day being gusty and the water temperature a bit too cold for easy fishing, Jack and his dog Beef managed to point us at some willing fish. After numerous bites, and nine or ten hook sets, we landed four or five rainbows including a couple of big ones for the river system. Jack is one of a kind--chatty, excited, positive--and it is clear he knows the river's twists,turns, and history very well. He made a nice lunch of chicken, rice, salad, and tea. The equipment was in good shape, the boat handled well and always felt safe, and the river was stunning. Jack's teaching style seemed to be a learn-by-doing style and as we were beginners he focused on giving us the bare necessities to catch fish and to not bog us down with minutiae, which will be ideal for some and a shame for others. I'm sure if I had focused less on fishing and more on asking pointed questions, then he would have been happy to oblige. All in all, I had a great time and gained enough confidence to know that I could successfully continue fly-fishing on my own.

Date of experience: April 2018