Review Highlights
Graeagle Fly Fishing

My 14 year old son and I spent a half day fly fishing with Jack Trout. It was such an awesome... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
crickett75
Float Tubing Upper Sac

Spent the day with Jack who’s energy and kind spirit made all the difference. We talked, caught... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Robmanriquez

All reviews his wife chilli the river puerto varas fish steelhead beef great trip float trip great guide drift boat local guide rainbow trout guided trip cruise ship his knowledge bass
Selected filters
Reviewed April 29, 2017

I'm writing this review after I've returned home and have had time to settle; to reflect; and to consider my trip to South America as a whole. I've asked myself "what makes a good guide service?" What was it about Jack and Carola Trout that made their "service" much more than I dare to describe?

The difference with them is that they care about people. They care in subtle and profound ways, and in ways that I didn't expect. For example, Jack and Carola helped us plan every detail of our trip, from our rental car, to where to eat an authentic and delicious meal, to helping us with our plans even after our scheduled float, and to freely and openly telling us to call them if we needed anything - like they were our contact if we needed help. That is personal; that is what you do for family.

And, so, my finance and I spent a good amount of time chatting over the phone and e-mailing Jack and Carola, asking them for guidance and advice, and every time we were met with the most welcoming and helpful advice. They are the kind of people that after they've done so much for you; after they've helped you so much, you want to show your appreciation in return. Because, they've become much more than wonderful guides - they've become friends.

And one of the best parts? Is that when you land that killer fish with Jack Trout or one of his guides, you can bet damn sure that's he's just as excited as you are! So, they'll make sure you're cared for and comfortable, and you, you just make sure to tell 'em thanks, because that fish in your hands is a beautiful thing.

Cheers!

Date of experience: January 2017
1  Thank ShauniT3
Reviewed April 16, 2017

We had a wonderful day floating down the Lower Sac with Jack Trout. We hooked into 6 or 7 nice sized rainbow, including the attached pic. Jack is an excellent fly fishing guide--he puts you into fish, helps you with technique, has a wealth of knowledge on the local history (and fish too), and is just plain fun to be around. We've used Jack several times, and will definitely be back. We really feel like we've had a great day, when we go fishing with Jack!

Date of experience: October 2016
Reviewed April 5, 2017

The services were not as good as promised in their marketing hype. The guide has failing human relation skills (speaking diplomatically..). Don't waste your money!

Date of experience: July 2016
4  Thank berkeley j
JackTrout, Owner at Jack Trout Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2017

Hi Berkeley J,

Myself and my guides are wondering who are you? No one remembers guiding you? Could you please shed some light with whom you are talking about, the date that we guided you at and the location or river? We don't want anyone to have a trip that doesn't meet their expectations, so let us know what we could of done better, in regard to services, we always provide the best gear, flies, rods & reels - serve some of the best shoreline BBQ lunches in the industry. I am wondering why you would rate us as terrible as well as your description being so vague? This review we take seriously at Jack Trout Fly Fishing International, since 1994 we have been providing clients quality service and fair prices for a great experience and have become one of the #1 fly fishing outfitters on Tripadvisor in the world. If you call me back I can give your money back or a credit for a future trip. Please folks, if you have a bad day with an outfitter, give them at least the chance to refund your money or a future credit, I always remain fair and diplomatic about our clients expectations and what would be a fair outcome ultimately. I would like to hear about how we could of made your experience better?

Many rivers & oceans to you, Jack Trout

Reviewed April 5, 2017 via mobile

Did a day trip from Havana Cuba.
Picked up in the morning and after 1,5 hours driving we got to the place we're we met our guide Felipe. Felipe was very nice and knowledgeable and he showed us a great time. First day ever tarpon fishing and we managed to have fifteen of them airborne that day. Eight of which were landed. What an adventure!! I have been fly fishing for almost 20 years and this I would highly recommend for anyone looking for a fun day on the water.

Date of experience: April 2017
Jack T, Owner at Jack Trout Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2017

Hi Thorgils, so happy I could set this fly fishing trip up for you last minute and you had such a successful trip! This is what I envisioned when I pioneered these day trips for fly fishing & tours out of Havana Cuba for Americans and people like you from Iceland. Thank you for calling on my guide service, it was my distinct pleasure to pull this off and make it happen as Felipe is one of the best fly fishing guides in all of Cuba.

Many Rivers & Oceans, Jack Trout -

Reviewed April 4, 2017

I booked a trip through Jack Trout to fish as much of Chilean Patagonia as I could for March 2017. As a young solo traveler, I wasn't looking for a two week tourist experience at a lodge with mints on the pillows. I wanted to get the real Patagonia experience with as much time on the rivers as possible. They understood that I wasn't looking for a vacation, but wanted to have an adventure. Jack and his wife Carola took care of all the arrangements, set up guides and helped reserve domestic flights in the months leading up to the trip.

They certainly didn't disappoint. I spent several days fishing rivers in the lake district of Chile, then headed to the far south of Patagonia to fish and explore. The fishing was incredible, the locations were pristine, and the guiding was excellent. If you're a fly fisherman looking for your own adventure in Patagonia, call Jack and Carola. You'll never forget it.

Date of experience: March 2017