Review Highlights
Graeagle Fly Fishing

My 14 year old son and I spent a half day fly fishing with Jack Trout. It was such an awesome... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
crickett75
Float Tubing Upper Sac

Spent the day with Jack who’s energy and kind spirit made all the difference. We talked, caught... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Robmanriquez

All reviews his wife chilli the river puerto varas fish steelhead beef great trip float trip great guide drift boat local guide rainbow trout guided trip cruise ship his knowledge bass
Selected filters
Reviewed December 30, 2015

I found Jack Trout on the web, contacted him that I would be coming to Pucon, Chile and wanted to fish w/my buddy and son and Jack arranged an epic Trip. We had 3 guides, a gourmet Chilean lunch w/steak, salad and red wine in the mountains bordering Chile/Argentina and YES!, the fishing was great. Having fished extensively in Oregon, CA and Idaho using strike indicators and nymphs, I learned an entirely new way to fish using no strike indicators. Stripping the line with a nymph on the end and 'feeling' the fish strike. It was a fantastic day, great fishing, awesome setting, fantastic meal! Would highly recommend.

Date of experience: December 2015
Reviewed December 13, 2015

I was in Santiago and had some spare days. I wanted to go fishing in Patagonia so I contacted Jack & Carola.
Jack & Carola responded amazingly swift and arranged my trip in a snip. I had no gear or any idea on where I wanted to go but was very professionally guuded by Jack and Carola that set me up with the Team at Los Torreones Lodge.
These were the most fantastic days in my recent life time. Cosy Lodge, very friendly people and top professional fishing guides that introduced some fantastic scenery and great trout fishing. Carola was on line almost every day to ensure that everything was ok.
Thanks to Jack, Carola and the complete Team at Los Torreones.

Michael Koch Jensen
Denmark

Date of experience: November 2015
Jack T, Owner at Jack Trout Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2015

Hi Michael,

This was our pleasure too. It was so nice to help you find a quality lodge in Patagonia Chile where you could have some of the best fly fishing left on planet Earth. I mean this is why we do it, for these kinds of reviews and making sure that we see everything through including your total happiness. I only hope someday, I would be lucky enough to guide you myself, because my wife went on and on about how sweet a man you are. Many Rivers & Oceans to You, Jack & Carola Trout

Reviewed November 29, 2015

Jack too my son and I drift fishing down the Klammath river and you want to talk about fun?! Wow! Our trip was great and 8 hours fly by. I wish we had two days for fishing! Lots of fun and Jack was hospital, knowledgeable, and patient (I think I lost 7 of his cherished steelhead rigs from snags, but Jack patiently reset me every time!). My son caught more fish than I did, which is sort-of a good thing. My daughter came along and took pictures. Great family trip!!

Reviewed November 21, 2015

We spent three days fishing on the Lower Sacramento with Jack Trout and several of his guides. The guides were very knowledgable and helpful and I would highly recommend Jack Trout's service for anyone visiting the area. You don't have to be an experienced angler- They'll teach You!

Reviewed November 18, 2015 via mobile

Before writing this review, I carefully read the reviews of each ranking category so that my review wouldn't seem one sided, so here it goes: our one day guided fishing trip floating down the Rio Maullin out of Puerto Varas was a disappointment. It appears unless Jack Trout is actually there with you, you don't get the care of service you would expect from reading the testimonials and what is advertised on the website.

We scheduled a last minute, one day guided fishing trip with Jack Trout's company and I'm thankful for the email coordination we were able to have with Jack and Carola to schedule a next day trip; however, the advertised care of services were not provided at $400 for two. Not even close. The website advertised a full day trip, which would be an 8-10 hour day in Alaska (where we are from) but our full day was from 3pm (pickup from Puerto Varas) to 9pm (drop off at Puerto Varas); 5 hours on the water.

Our guide (whose name I will exclude) was friendly enough and spoke English, but the meal/snack we got were water, beer, nuts and chips. Although the trip was after noon, we anticipated at least a sandwich.

The day of fishing wasn't that great but that's not the fault of the guide in this case, but a guide would at least have a net to help you with your fish. I hooked maybe a 20-inch brown and this guide didn't even have a net on the boat to help me land the fish. Also, our gear that was provided to us consisted of one 7wt with sink tip and fly, and one 5wt with sink tip and fly. Other professional guide services would provide each fisherman two rods to provide some variation. Also, they would provide waders and wading boots. Our guide insisted that waders were not necessary due to brush/trees on boat sides of the river, but upon anchoring at a few locations, I saw a few shallow locations where we could have casted from shore to add to our experience.

Next questionable thing about this company is when I inquired about fishing licenses, which the website claims is included in our fee, the guide brushed it off as if one wasn't needed since we were fishing off private land.

The feel of the guided tour was like going on a trip with a friend, which has its pluses and minuses, but my point is that it didn't seem like a professional guided trip to us. Jack Trout's company seems to outsource to outside guides when he is not available. Even with our payment, we made separate payments to Jack Trout and our guide. If it were one company, the guide would be paid directly from Jack Trout and would not need to be paid in cash. (Carola offered us a $50 discount from our payment to Jack Trout, which will be appreciated when received).

If you plan on booking with Jack Trout, I recommend fishing with Jack Trout for the 5-star experience; otherwise, you're in for disappointment.

3  Thank Soonami_AK