Review Highlights
Graeagle Fly Fishing

My 14 year old son and I spent a half day fly fishing with Jack Trout. It was such an awesome... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
crickett75
Float Tubing Upper Sac

Spent the day with Jack who’s energy and kind spirit made all the difference. We talked, caught... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Robmanriquez

All reviews his wife chilli the river puerto varas fish steelhead beef great trip float trip great guide drift boat local guide rainbow trout guided trip cruise ship his knowledge bass
Selected filters
Reviewed November 21, 2015

We spent three days fishing on the Lower Sacramento with Jack Trout and several of his guides. The guides were very knowledgable and helpful and I would highly recommend Jack Trout's service for anyone visiting the area. You don't have to be an experienced angler- They'll teach You!

Date of experience: November 2015
Reviewed November 18, 2015 via mobile

Before writing this review, I carefully read the reviews of each ranking category so that my review wouldn't seem one sided, so here it goes: our one day guided fishing trip floating down the Rio Maullin out of Puerto Varas was a disappointment. It appears unless Jack Trout is actually there with you, you don't get the care of service you would expect from reading the testimonials and what is advertised on the website.

We scheduled a last minute, one day guided fishing trip with Jack Trout's company and I'm thankful for the email coordination we were able to have with Jack and Carola to schedule a next day trip; however, the advertised care of services were not provided at $400 for two. Not even close. The website advertised a full day trip, which would be an 8-10 hour day in Alaska (where we are from) but our full day was from 3pm (pickup from Puerto Varas) to 9pm (drop off at Puerto Varas); 5 hours on the water.

Our guide (whose name I will exclude) was friendly enough and spoke English, but the meal/snack we got were water, beer, nuts and chips. Although the trip was after noon, we anticipated at least a sandwich.

The day of fishing wasn't that great but that's not the fault of the guide in this case, but a guide would at least have a net to help you with your fish. I hooked maybe a 20-inch brown and this guide didn't even have a net on the boat to help me land the fish. Also, our gear that was provided to us consisted of one 7wt with sink tip and fly, and one 5wt with sink tip and fly. Other professional guide services would provide each fisherman two rods to provide some variation. Also, they would provide waders and wading boots. Our guide insisted that waders were not necessary due to brush/trees on boat sides of the river, but upon anchoring at a few locations, I saw a few shallow locations where we could have casted from shore to add to our experience.

Next questionable thing about this company is when I inquired about fishing licenses, which the website claims is included in our fee, the guide brushed it off as if one wasn't needed since we were fishing off private land.

The feel of the guided tour was like going on a trip with a friend, which has its pluses and minuses, but my point is that it didn't seem like a professional guided trip to us. Jack Trout's company seems to outsource to outside guides when he is not available. Even with our payment, we made separate payments to Jack Trout and our guide. If it were one company, the guide would be paid directly from Jack Trout and would not need to be paid in cash. (Carola offered us a $50 discount from our payment to Jack Trout, which will be appreciated when received).

If you plan on booking with Jack Trout, I recommend fishing with Jack Trout for the 5-star experience; otherwise, you're in for disappointment.

Date of experience: November 2015
3  Thank Soonami_AK
Reviewed November 16, 2015

Fished with Jack with my son last Oct. on the Klamath river by Iron Gate I have drifted before but this was our first time fly fishing from drift boat Jack showed us the ropes or should I say line we did ok, thats fishing.

Date of experience: October 2015
Reviewed September 14, 2015

I have to drive 4-5 hours to good fishing so needed to combine a day and a half together to make the trip really worthwhile. Jack was very accommodating and we arranged to have the second day the lower sac after a wading trip on the McCloud the first day so my trip home was shorter. Everything was great. McCloud is super beautiful and unique, hiking an wading with Jack was perfect and I was catching fish within the first few casts. Then the float on the lower sac was fantastic. Big fat colorful rainbows were a blast to fight and land. I must have landed 10 18-20inchers and a few normal size 14"! Overall a perfect weekend. by the way the lunch meals (home made) are delicious.

Date of experience: August 2015
Reviewed September 13, 2015 via mobile

I'd like to start this off by saying this was one of the best trips my girlfriend and I have been on to date. Our guide (the owner) of Jack trout guide service. First off was extremely patient with two beginners who have done little to no fly fishing before hand. He got us lined out on how to cast and mend. As we came to our first riffle he had us cast out, within seconds I was hooked up to my first fish of the day. A beautiful native rainbow. As we floated down we had some big hits with a few hook ups. The second fish I landed was a monster 4lb 21in native rainbow, that fish made the trip for me. We went on to catch three more good trout to bring our total of five fish landed for the day. I would undoubtedly recommend this guide service to anyone, and cannot wait to book my next trip. I give him a five star rating.

Date of experience: September 2015