“Awesome day on the Upper Sac in tough conditions”

Jack Trout Fly Fishing
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Mount Shasta
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1994, We outfit & guide, Cuba, Chile, Belize & Argentina. Northern California, Oregon & Nevada. We guide fly fishing on the Upper Sacramento River, McCloud River, Trinity River, Lower Sacramento River, Hat Creek, Pit River, Smith River, Klamath River, Truckee River, out of Mount Shasta, McCloud, Dunsmuir & Redding, California. Rogue, Chetco, Deschutes, Umpqua, Elks, Sixes in Oregon. Pyramid Lake, Truckee NV. Float Trips and wade trips for beginners to advance, all gear included and stream-side gourmet lunch.
Belmont, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Awesome day on the Upper Sac in tough conditions”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

With the low water levels this year and a hot August day my friend and I were not sure how much catching we would do on our day on the raft with Jack and K.Beef Trout. Jack came through with a great trip - 7 hours on the river catching some decent sized trout and also plenty of bass. The scenery and experience of a slow raft ride down the river was fun enough, and we both not only caught fish but learned a lot about techniques, flies and gear to use on the river that helped us with the rest of our trip fishing without a guide. We also enjoyed lunch and a cold beer by the river. My friend also left his bag in the raft and Jack was kind enough to call us and arrange a rendezvous next day to exchange it. For a fun day out that is not just about catching fish but a full outdoor experience I can recommend Jack Trout.

4 Thank Ian P

San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Day on the Upper Sac with Jack and Beef”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My 9 year old son and I had a great day on the Upper Sac with Jack and his dog Beef. Taking a 9 year old fly fishing is a bit of risky proposition but Jack made it work perfectly. He was great with both of us and made sure we both caught a bunch of fish. We focused on the feisty bass that inhabit that section of the river as they were a bit easier to fish. My son ended up catching something like 9 good sized fish. I caught quite a few as well and also managed to land a beautiful 18 inch rainbow! Otters, osprey and the beautiful surroundings made this much more than just a fishing trip. We will be back!

2 Thank David H
Oakland, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A Perfect Day!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a fantastic day on the river with Jack and his wonderful dog, Beef. Mark fished and learned several new techniques catching many fish throughout the day. I came along for the beauty of being on the river and was so thrilled that Jack knew of such an exceptional section of the river. He is very knowledgeable about the history and geography related to Northern California. Lunch was a delicious chicken and rice meal topped off by his killer, special recipe chocolate chip cookie. We look forward to another trip with him in the future.

4 Thank Janet M
Mill Valley, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good instructor, guide and nice guy”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

For about the past 15 years I have heard that Jack was the best guide in the Mt Shasta area. I wanted my teenage son to have a good experience on his first fly fishing experience. I was as interested in Jack instructing my son on the basics of fly fishing as in catching fish. Jack was upbeat in his approach and my son had a positive experience. We saw some beautiful places on the McCloud and my son caught five trout and I caught two. We will alway enjoy the photos of the trip he sent us.

It was a nice day for both of us and I hope we can do it again soon.

5 Thank Mike M
San Jose, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Awesome day!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This weekend was our third float with Jack, and it was another great day. My son loves fishing, but fly fishing can be a little challenging. Jack always goes the extra mile to ensure that everyone on the trip has the best chance of catching fish. This time, my son caught the biggest fish of the day, and went on to fly fish from the bank for the rest of the trip. He is truly hooked! (pun intended) I really appreciate the fact that Jack and Carolla go out of their way to make each trip a great experience. As always the food was excellent! We will definitely be looking forward to trip number 4.

Visited July 2013