“What sort of a name is Trout; he must really love his fishing!”

Jack Trout Fly Fishing
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Mount Shasta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The world's foremost one day fly fishing guides. We supply gear and offer great lunches in addition to lessons, float trips, since 1994 Jack Trout Fly Fishing International has been a leader for worldwide one day trips for fly fishing. Beginners to advanced welcomed.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

A friend recommended Jack and I was intrigued by the name. Jack was great and delivered on all fronts. Nothing was too much trouble. He even delivered on the weather despite a bleak day in Puerto Varas.

My girlfriend was a first timer and Jack was great with her. She even wants to go back.

Couldn't recommend him highly enough, particularly if you have a tight time schedule. Do yourself a favour and book a date with Jack.

13  Thank Tim C
"his knowledge"
"great guy"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you find yourself heading to the Lakes District and want to fly fish we highly recommend that you contact Jack Trout (yes, real name!) to help guide you down some beautiful water for some heafty browns & rainbows. We were traveling with our two daughters who were new to fly fishing and thanks to Jack and his staff they had the perfect introductory experience, in fact they may be spoiled for life and hardpressed to hook into fish like that elswhere.

16  Thank Eugenie F
Reviewed February 20, 2013

It's hard to add to the already stellar reviews Jack and Carola have received here.

We went on two of their awesome float trips and they were the highlights of an incredible trip to Chile. Jack knows people about as well as he knows fish, and is an expert in making you as happy and comfortable as he can. Amazing food, drinks and anything else it took.

The trip is worth it just for jack's one liners.

Cheers guys. Please come visit us in NZ one of these days.

16  Thank Cameron S
Reviewed January 15, 2013

It was awesome once in a lifetime experience. Totally memorable.
I found Jack via internet and we chance some emails before i went out with his friend Lloyd.
Lloyd was very good and enthuastic guide.
He saw me where the fish are and he was very keen to teach me right pace to pull the line etc.

I got many bonefishes and couple of barracudas as well.
All the bonefishes was kind of similar size maybe weighing about one kilo but them power was unbelievable !!
I use one hand rod and they were powerful enough to make my hand shaking and almost going numb.

I can totally recommended trips with Lloyd in Belize.

Petri from Finland

20  Thank Liikemies
See more reviews
Reviewed January 7, 2013

What can I say here? I told Jack via email that this trip was the trip of a lifetime for me (thus far, I'm still a youngster), and he and his fantastic wife comprehensively over-delivered. At much discomfort and hassle to both Jack and Carola, the two of them spoiled me with incredible hospitality, long hours on the water, fantastic food and impromptu, context-heavy tour guiding. In 6 days with Team Trout, I fished 5 rivers all over the Lakes District in Chile and caught 5 species of fish, including some seriously gorgeous sea-run browns and solid silver Atlantic Salmon.

Doing guided trips is an expensive endeavor, so I've always tried to maximize my money by getting as much instruction and insight from a guide as possible. Jack didn't disappoint in this regard - he helped and encouraged me as I gradually refined my casting technique, and I'm happy to say that by the second-to-last day on the water with him, I was ripping off one 50-foot double haul after another, placing the casts exactly where I'd wanted them. This was a quantum leap for me, and a huge step in my education as an angler.

It's hard to say what the highlight was for me. It may have been the 5lb. NFL football of a brown that I caught on the trippy Rio Maullin, or it might have been towing across a lake, James Bond-style to catch a slow 4-mile float on private water, or maybe it was the scenery. After some reflection though, I'd say that the highlight was the camaraderie. Jack and Carola, as we'd say where I'm from in Minnesota, "aren't half bad." Which, if you listen to a lot of Garrison Keillor, ought to strike you as high praise.

Jack and Carola went so far above and beyond to accomodate me and my Dad on our annual father-son trip that it defies logic. From making us hotel recommendations to pointing us in the direction of killer food not covered by guide books to driving me all around the Lakes District, Team Trout are incredibly good at what they do. Jack even listened to me prattle on about my beer obsession and surprised me with one of the most incredible beers I've had - Kunstmann Gran Torobayo - during lunch my last day out.

If it's not clear yet, I cannot recommend Team Trout highly enough. They're diligent, hugely friendly, funny, sweet, hard-working and genuinely warm people. It says a lot about Jack that he's been guiding for 20+ years - you'd never survive that long if you were a jerk, or if you weren't great at what you do.

Book a trip with Jack and Carola - as many days as possible - and bring your Ibuprofen. Your casting hand is going to need it.

20  Thank Shane M