“Fly fishing in Hopkins village in Belize.”

Jack Trout Fly Fishing
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Mount Shasta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Since 1994, We outfit & guide, Cuba, Chile, Belize & Argentina. Northern California, Oregon & Nevada. We guide fly fishing on the Upper Sacramento River, McCloud River, Trinity River, Lower Sacramento River, Hat Creek, Pit River, Smith River, Klamath River, Truckee River, out of Mount Shasta, McCloud, Dunsmuir & Redding, California. Rogue, Chetco, Deschutes, Umpqua, Elks, Sixes in Oregon. Pyramid Lake, Truckee NV. Float Trips and wade trips for beginners to advance, all gear included and stream-side gourmet lunch.
Reviewed January 15, 2013

It was awesome once in a lifetime experience. Totally memorable.
I found Jack via internet and we chance some emails before i went out with his friend Lloyd.
Lloyd was very good and enthuastic guide.
He saw me where the fish are and he was very keen to teach me right pace to pull the line etc.

I got many bonefishes and couple of barracudas as well.
All the bonefishes was kind of similar size maybe weighing about one kilo but them power was unbelievable !!
I use one hand rod and they were powerful enough to make my hand shaking and almost going numb.

I can totally recommended trips with Lloyd in Belize.

Petri from Finland

20  Thank Liikemies

Reviewed January 7, 2013

What can I say here? I told Jack via email that this trip was the trip of a lifetime for me (thus far, I'm still a youngster), and he and his fantastic wife comprehensively over-delivered. At much discomfort and hassle to both Jack and Carola, the two of them spoiled me with incredible hospitality, long hours on the water, fantastic food and impromptu, context-heavy tour guiding. In 6 days with Team Trout, I fished 5 rivers all over the Lakes District in Chile and caught 5 species of fish, including some seriously gorgeous sea-run browns and solid silver Atlantic Salmon.

Doing guided trips is an expensive endeavor, so I've always tried to maximize my money by getting as much instruction and insight from a guide as possible. Jack didn't disappoint in this regard - he helped and encouraged me as I gradually refined my casting technique, and I'm happy to say that by the second-to-last day on the water with him, I was ripping off one 50-foot double haul after another, placing the casts exactly where I'd wanted them. This was a quantum leap for me, and a huge step in my education as an angler.

It's hard to say what the highlight was for me. It may have been the 5lb. NFL football of a brown that I caught on the trippy Rio Maullin, or it might have been towing across a lake, James Bond-style to catch a slow 4-mile float on private water, or maybe it was the scenery. After some reflection though, I'd say that the highlight was the camaraderie. Jack and Carola, as we'd say where I'm from in Minnesota, "aren't half bad." Which, if you listen to a lot of Garrison Keillor, ought to strike you as high praise.

Jack and Carola went so far above and beyond to accomodate me and my Dad on our annual father-son trip that it defies logic. From making us hotel recommendations to pointing us in the direction of killer food not covered by guide books to driving me all around the Lakes District, Team Trout are incredibly good at what they do. Jack even listened to me prattle on about my beer obsession and surprised me with one of the most incredible beers I've had - Kunstmann Gran Torobayo - during lunch my last day out.

If it's not clear yet, I cannot recommend Team Trout highly enough. They're diligent, hugely friendly, funny, sweet, hard-working and genuinely warm people. It says a lot about Jack that he's been guiding for 20+ years - you'd never survive that long if you were a jerk, or if you weren't great at what you do.

Book a trip with Jack and Carola - as many days as possible - and bring your Ibuprofen. Your casting hand is going to need it.

20  Thank Shane M
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I contacted Jack earlier this fall to see the possibility of fishing the day after Christmas (26th). I was skeptical since it was so close to the holiday, but a super enthusiastic Jack answered no problem. Through an exchange of emails, we got the details all set up - 2 people, lunch on the river, equipment supplied, all day fishing. FANTASTIC!

We met up with Jack in the beautiful town of Puerto Varras, about a 20 minute car ride from Puerto Montt. He greeted us with a huge smile and seemed more excited about the fishing trip than we were, ha. About a half hour later, we were on the river and fly fishing. A quick note, I have never fly fished my entire life. I have fished all other types, but not fly fishing. Did this deter Jack? Ha, no way. I think it made him even more psyched about the fishing. I kid you not, within 10 minutes of Jack's expertise, I was whipping the fly across the water like a pro. Well, maybe not a pro, but at least a damn good amateur.

My first catch, an Atlantic Salmon. It was awesome, there is something about fly fishing that is so different than any other type of fishing. I can't put words to it, but it seems to allow a closer connection to the water, fish, and nature. I pulled in the fish and deftly scooped it up in the net. Jack was so stoked I thought he was going to lose it, ha. There were high fives all around with pictures snapping and shouts of joy, seriously... shouts of joy. It was a great time.

The lunch: we stopped on a grassy spot off the river and while Jack prepared everything, my dad and I waded out into the river and did some more fishing. About 20 minutes later, Jack gave a holler and we came in. What the?!! No crappy sandwiches or hot dogs, this was an actual meal: meat, sausage, potatoes, deserts, and beer. He had a brought a small stove and had prepared an exquisite meal. We even sat on chairs and at a table that he had stowed away. Jack said that his partner through all of this venture, his wife Carola, had prepared this. Wow, it was great. Thanks Carola for that, it most certainly hit the spot!

After lunch, we continued our fishing trip down the river. It was beautiful, there is no where on this earth that is quite like it. Birds every where, beautiful trees, and the three of us floating down a river enjoying our time. Quick story, there was this bird, I forget the name, that Jack pointed out to us. It had a bit of a mohawk and would watch us. As we drew up next to it, it would take off and fly down stream about 30 yards where it would wait for us to catch up. This continued for about an hour, it was hilarious and awesome all at once.

About five minutes from the end of the journey, the water became rapid, but Jack, who had been paddling all day, deftly handled the currents without an issue. I wish it could said the same for us. On the last flick of the fly from my dad, tragedy struck. The line got stuck to something in the water and before we were able to remedy the situation, the boat was pulled by the current across the line, and the rod snapped. Damn! Surprisingly, Jack held it together and with only a grimace and a few internal words of grief (I would have been a lot more vocal if some guy had broken something of mine), we freed the line and continued down stream.

Back on line, Jack and I made a deal about the rod. I paid for a replacement rod so he could be set for his next trip, and he would get the broken rod fixed and would then ship that rod to me. Seemed like a fair deal to me, especially since I am considering buying a fly fishing rig. There is trust tied into this deal, but Jack seemed pretty trustworthy after spending a day and getting to know him. If the rod never appears, I'll come back and edit the review, but I there is no way that is going to happen, Jack is too good of a guy.

Overall, my dad and I are extremely satisfied with this trip. We had a great time and would eagerly partake in another trip with Senor Trout in the future. I easily recommend him as a guide to anyone looking to do some fly fishing, they will not be disappointed.

Cheers Jack, thanks for a great time and some super memories!

27  Thank Chris P
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I spend several months a year in the Lake District of Chile. I am a life long angler but just in the last few years have taken up fly fishing. I hooked up with Jack last year and we did about 10 guided trips on several different rivers in the area from Panguipulli to Puerto Varas. We had a ball and caught a lot of trout. Jack was a great help to me getting my fly casting up to speed and having access to so many rivers he always has reports of where the fishing is best at any given time. Also did some trips with Jack's guide Edgar and he was first rate. I can't say enough good things about Jack and Carola. Always a joy to be around and Carola's riverside lunches are excellent. On my last trip in April I landed one of Chile's "jackpot" rainbow trout, 5 kg.+ and it was the thrill of my fly fishing life so far. I am just back in Chile and Jack and I are going fishing next week. Very much looking forward to this season on the rivers down here and some more great fishing with Jack Trout. I can highly recommend his services to anyone interested in fly fishing in this part of Chile. Andrew Swann

20  Thank AndrewPanguipulli
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I recently traveled to Santiago for a legal conference with ALFA international The Global Legal Network. I decided to go a few days early to fish in the Lake District. An easy flight from Santiago to Puerto Montt and there was Jack Trout and his wonderful wife Carolla to meet me for a wonderful 3 day fishing adventure. Carola grew up in the area and was a wealth of knowledge about culture and the area. From tween they picked me up until they dropped me off for my flight back to Santiago every aspect was the best and was executed without a glitch. The fishing with Mattias, one of Jacks local guide, and Jack were of high quality from the fishing, to terrific lunch grilled on the riverbank, hints on fishing technique and landing a variety of fish. They were all great people to hang out with and dinner every night at their favorite restaurants was a very welcoming touch. I am ready now to go fishing with Jack Trout next year in California. I have already given his contact info to several fishing friends. Thanks Jack, Carolla and Mattias and his father Carlos who shuttled the boat. Highly recommend for a terrific experience.. Mike Hawkins

18  Thank Michael H