“Stellar flyfishing experience in Chile”

Jack Trout Fly Fishing
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Mount Shasta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The world's foremost one day fly fishing guides. We supply gear and offer great lunches in addition to lessons, float trips, since 1994 Jack Trout Fly Fishing International has been a leader for worldwide one day trips for fly fishing. Beginners to advanced welcomed.
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I'm an intermediate flyfisherman who also happens to be in a wheelchair-Jack accommodated me easily in an easy access drift boat. During two days fishing with Jack I caught my personal-best fish with Jack on the Rio Maullin, a 21", 7 lb. sea run brown, apparently quite rare so far north. This was my first experience flyfishing in Chile as well as for strong fish that like to fight and make runs, really exciting. Jack was a patient, enthusiastic, and effective coach on the river, and he and his wife Carola were great hosts off the river at their cabin on a private ranch near Los Lagos. Carola took my wife horseback riding on the ranch while I went fishing and that worked out great. We also fished on the Rio Calcarrupe and despite intermittently nasty weather we caught plenty of fish and Jack served a hot meal right on the boat, very classy. I plan to hook up with Jack again in N.Cal come June!

17  Thank Erik S
"his knowledge"
"great guy"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed January 30, 2012

During my travels in Argentina and Chile with my wife, I set aside a couple of days for fishing during our visit to the lake district of Chile near the river Petrohue. I didn't want to haul my fishing gear all over South America and wanted a guide for a day who would rent gear for a couple of non guided days afterwards. I new from my prior one day guided trip with Jack Trout in northern California that I would have a great fishing experience. I was not disappointed. We decided to fish the Petrohue. Jack took me to some great spots (we both waded and fished from shore depending on the location), worked though various nymph selections to determine what was working best (both under and indicator and swinging with a sinking tip) and even switched to dries when we found a spot were a couple of fish were rising. Jack was extremely attentive all day long (we probably adjusted flies and depth at least 20 times during the day). In sections where the rocks were slippery and the current faster, Jack was even my wading support on our way to the "right spot". And yes, the fishing was great, with about 20 hookups and 10 landed to about 20 inches.....and all this on a beautiful clear river were we could see the fish at times. A truly great experience which included a home prepared hot lunch prepared by Jack's wife Carola.....and including local wine and beer. I returned to the river on my own a couple of days later with continued success using Jack's gear.

19  Thank Bob B
Reviewed January 14, 2012

My job at the American Embassy in Uruguay provided an opportunity to not travel far to go fly fishing so my friends and I located Jack's website to plan an adventure in Chile. We fished with Jack in the Lake and Patagonia regions of Chile. My first day was on the Rio Enco where Jack has exclusive access. I caught four fish, the last two being a 2.5lb Rainbow and a 5lb Rainbow, which was the first times I ever went to the reel fly fishing. Jack wasy very patient at coaching me how to bring them in. The second day I caught a 7lb Brown on the Rio Calcurrupe. The last day I fished woth one of Jack's guides, Edgar, who really was dedicated to putting us on some fish. I caught eight fish in three days and lost a couple more. The streamside lunches and dinners at Jack's lodge, prepared by his wife Carola, where great and an excellent sample of Chilean culture. The weather was hot and windy at times, and it was compounded by some nasty bugs, but Jack and Edgar were dedicated to keeping us out on the water all day into the evening; that was what made the experience with Jack unique as he was dedicated to make sure we had a great time and spent alot of time with us. We even went to a German brewery, and then a sea food restaraunt on the day we arrived and back to the brewery for lunch on the day we left so it was a good sample of Chilean culture. If you are looking for an excellent fly fishing experience with a sample of Chilean culture at a very reasonable price, Jack is the person to fish with. I definitely plan on fishing with hime again and bringing my family with me.

17  Thank Dominic D
Reviewed December 30, 2011

My sister and I booked a full day float with Jack Trout in Panguipulli Chile on Wednesday. We fished a fantastic stretch of water using streamers for big trout. Jack was an excellent rower putting us in a variety of positions for shots at fish all over the river, all day long. The weather was clear but extremely hot, which had it's downside with the fishing being a little slower than usual. However, of the 7 fish we caught, they were big, my sister landed a personal best 19" rainbow and I landed a personal best 26", 9 pound brown! Jack knew exactly where to find the fish in the deeper, fast water and when he suggested to switch to muddlers and black woolly buggers, the fish responded! I would definitely recommend Jack to anyone looking for a great day on the water, regardless of fly fishing experience. I look forward to fishing with him again in States or on my next trip to Chile. I almost forgot, the streamside lunch made by his wife was excellent too!

Christopher Siess
Owner, Knot the Reel World Fly Fishing
Richmond, Virginia

17  Thank Knotthereelworld
See more reviews
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My father, brother, friend and myself did a full day drift outside of Puerto Varas, Chile earlier this month. Jack Trout and his companion guide Edgar provided us the most spectacular day on our ten day Argentina / Chile tour. Being an avid fisherman from Alaska, I expected to have a similar fly fishing experience enjoyed on other guide drifts. I was absolutely wrong. From the breathtaking scenery devoid of any human imprint, an excellent gourmet lunch cooked by Jack's wife (I wish I took an extra day to meet her and thank her for her cooking and try to negotiate a receipe), and Jack and Edgar's humor and fun, this trip was amazing and the best guide trip experienced to date! The fishing was excellent. Browns, Rainbows and Atlantic Salmon were plentiful and matched well with the provided gear. It's a long trip to Chile, but I am already planning another trip in the next five years and will spend more time fishing and sightseeing with Jack. Look forward to a future trip in Northern California with Jack the next time I visit the area.

17  Thank Jeremy B