“A great day on the Upper Sacramento River”

Jack Trout Fly Fishing
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Mount Shasta
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1994, We outfit & guide, Cuba, Chile, Belize & Argentina. Northern California, Oregon & Nevada. We guide fly fishing on the Upper Sacramento River, McCloud River, Trinity River, Lower Sacramento River, Hat Creek, Pit River, Smith River, Klamath River, Truckee River, out of Mount Shasta, McCloud, Dunsmuir & Redding, California. Rogue, Chetco, Deschutes, Umpqua, Elks, Sixes in Oregon. Pyramid Lake, Truckee NV. Float Trips and wade trips for beginners to advance, all gear included and stream-side gourmet lunch.
Wilmington, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A great day on the Upper Sacramento River”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

My son and I were fortunate in linking up with Jack Trout as we planned our trip to Northern California. Jack's rafting expertise enabled us to fish stretches of the Upper Sacramento River that could only be accessed by mountain goats, and his knowledge of the river ensured that we caught some beautiful rainbow trout. Jack's gracious hospitality and endless patience with our beginner flyfishing skills provided us with a wonderful day on the River. We look forward to meeting up with Jack on a future trip.

Jerry
Wilmington, NC

Visited June 2011
15 Thank hansenforest

Kettering, Ohio
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Great Fly Fishing Guide in Chile”
Reviewed February 6, 2011

I know Jack guides folks in California, but we stepped off our cruise ship and went fishing with Jack in Puerto Montt, Chile. Excellent, top notch. Jack knows his way around Chile. He got us to some places to fish that the locals don't even know about. It was driving rain storm in the morning, but the fish were biting and fighting in the Petrohue River. Lunch was local beef kabobs and a superb bottle of Chilean carmenere. Jack knows his way around Chile and around a trout stream. His knowledge of the water and the insects is everything you need for an excellent experience. And compared to other guides I checked, his prices are also the best.

Visited January 2011
17 Thank Old_Map_Keeper
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
““Worth the hardship to get there.””
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I took a ten hour, overnight bus ride from Santiago to Los Lagos, met by Jack, pick up Corola and the drift boat, drive an hour and a half to the river, fish, eat lunch on the river, fish till dark, drive an hour and a half back to their home, dinner at midnight, sleep, 2 hr drive to airport, 1 1/2 hour flight to Santiago, then a 6 hour flight delay, 3 hour flight to Lima, one hour layover, 7 1/2 hours to new york, 2 1/2 hour layover, then a 1 hour economy flight home. And, and this is the part that gets non-fishing people shaking their head, I gave up a Santiago to Toronto direct first class flight to do all this. And, I would do it again in a second.
Why?
Double digit hookups on a river that we had all to ourselves with some of the most spectacular scenery on the planet. Bows and steelies mostly. Was hoping for some dry fly action, but no. Luckily, Jack was saavy enough to get me into some nymphing setups until we sussed out what was going. Then it was fish on, fish on, more than 30 hook ups for the day. I think the only time I put the road down was for the consuela shore lunch.
Highly recommend!

Visited December 2010
14 Thank ziffle1111
Los Altos, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Guide for a lifetime”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I am 63 and have fished my entire life all over the world. I have fished with Jack Trout in the Shasta area for many years. I consider Jack one of the premier fishing guides that I have ever fished with and see myself fishing with him for the remainder of my life. Now my son Kevin, whom Jack has been one of his primary instructors, feels the same way. Jack is a professional. He knows the area he fishes better than any other guide on the same water. He fishes places, like the Upper Sac, where no other guides dare float. He knows what the fish are eating and where they live. If floating, he can place you in the most ideal spot for success on any given run and if wadding can get the most hook ups on any prime location on the river. Oh, did I mention that he is an outstanding cook and the lunch meal is an event worth waiting for. He is an outstanding guide and a really good solid person whom i always enjoy being around.

14 Thank jerrymoison
Chile
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Superbien Fly Fishing with Jack”
Reviewed May 1, 2010

I fished southern Chile during most of their summer, and on two occassions I fished with Jack, first in January and again in early April (actually early fall here). Jack has fished Chile for 15 years and knows the waters here better than anyone I have met. He and his wife, Carola, also provide first-rate accomodations and meals, and at an excellent value.

It being an el niño year, the rains persisted through January at levels far higher than normal. Thus, on my first trip, the rivers were high and difficult to fish, although we still got some trout. However, rather than take my money under these conditions, Jack suggested I return later in the year to use the rest of the fishing days I had booked under better conditions. A lot of guides would never consider this, but I gather that with Jack it is standard operating procedure.

When I went back in January, I also brought my girlfriend along, and we had a great time. We found good fishing in one of the local rivers Jack has cultivated (small nymphs under an indicator fished very well), and the food and companionship were also first rate. I recommend this trip strongly to both experienced anglers and those with less experience. Jack and Carola will see to it that you enjoy yourself in all cases.

14 Thank ELDuck