“Overpriced, lots of hidden extra charges and horrible customer service.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Shasta
Lake Siskiyou Camp - Resort
“Overpriced, lots of hidden extra charges and horrible customer service.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

CONS:
-Hugely over priced for a tiny little prefabricated 'cabin'.
-They charge A LOT extra for EVERYTHING.
-Incredibly BAD customer service. The check-in staff were incompetent - they did not give us our cabin keys, they over charged on the 'extras', they did not know what to do with any deviation from the script, they were NOT empowered to help.
-Rude, rude, rude facility manager.
-Owners never called me back after I lodged a polite complaint on their voice mail.
-Cabins are all the same size. The only difference between a 6 person and an 8 person cabin is how many folding 2' X 6' X 2" cushions they put in the 'loft'.
-The couch/bed in the 'living' room may or may not have a futon that can be slept on. One of our cabins had one that was so thin not even small children could sleep on it without being stabbed by the metal springs.
-The mattress is not meant for anyone over 5' 5". All my relatives hung over the ends. Plus, it had plastic on it which kept everyone awake.
-NO BEDDING or towels!
-Some cabins have microwaves, some have ovens. Good luck trying to get the staff to tell you correctly which one has what.
-No dogs in the cabins or in any public areas by the water.

PROS
-Pretty view by the water.
-Our cabins were mostly in a quiet area (near the boat launch).
-A fair amount of walking/running trails in the area.

THE FULL STORY:
My extended family and I wanted to have a family reunion using the cabins at the Lake Siskiyou Camp-Resort. After a 10 minute conversation with a person over the phone, asking about the cabin facilities and how many people they can hold I reserved 4 of them for 2 nights. At no time during our lengthy conversation was I told that although each cabin can hold 6-8 people, only 2 people can stay for the price advertised. A price that I would expect to pay at a 4 star hotel in Vegas or San Diego I might add. I found out that I had to pay the first nights stay for all 4 cabins in order to reserve them. A week or so later a receipt for that payment arrived. I glanced at it, and then set it aside. A few days before our intended stay, when I pulled those receipts out to show someone else I found a sheet of paper folded neatly and tucked deep into those receipts letting me know that there is a $5 charge for extra people per night. There is also a $5 charge per night for "extra" cars and for boats. They do not supply BEDDING, and only supply 'token' kitchen supplies. They also do not resupply TOILET PAPER, dish soap or paper towels. When I arrived at check-in and asked what this was all about, the girl who SLOWLY checked us in could not help me, but she gave the name of the on-site manager. When I called her she told me "Everyone knows that the 'extras' are how we make our money", she also told me when I explained that no one had told me about the extras that "Well, it's a he said, she said thing now isn't it?" I then asked for someone above her, and she gave me the names of the owners. I left a message and never received a call back. As the rest of my family trickled in I continued to hear about the incredibly poor customer service. On family member could not get her cabin keys from check-in, despite handing over payment for the night. Another was forced to pay an extra $10 to get her niece into the campground, otherwise the preteen would have had to stay at the entrance until her mother showed up to pay for her cabin - some 5 hours later! It ended up that we had 24 people at one time or another over the course of the weekend. Some only stayed for a few hours, but most stayed at least one night. Had we known how many 'extras' we were going to be charged to hang out on the front porch of a tiny little cabin, and how incredibly BAD the customer service was we NEVER would have stayed at the Lake Siskiyou Camp-Resort.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
14 Thank Deva L

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed here for a weekend, June 24-26. We rented a camp spot and it looks like each camp spot could fit 3 family tents. Only 2 cars are allowed to park in each camp lot. Camp lot camp with one park table and a fire pit. Bathrooms were functional. In the women's restroom there were 2 showers(free and hot water also) and a few stalls. 2 sinks with mirrors. There is a restaurant on site which is a plus for the last night where we didn't want to clean too much after dinner. They show family movies also for free near the restaurant. The Lake itself is beautiful and there is a great view of Mt. Shasta. Canoes, paddles boats are available for rental as well. Driving to Mt. Shasta from the camp resort is maybe 20-30 min. All in all the camp resort has all the amenities you need for a family camping trip.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank GailTeeKay
Sausalito
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2011

Looking for a nice place to spend a weekend near my favorite lake in Northern California, my girlfriend and I found out about Siskiyou Camp-Resort and decided to give it a try. This was the off-season (late September) so it was quiet, practically deserted, which made a difference in our stay. I could imagine during the peak of summer it could be a bit chaotic and noisy -- that wasn't what we were looking for...

Upon arriving at the kiosk, we were allowed to drive in and choose the best cabin for us, which was very helpful. We chose a cabin next to the lake that was very comfortable and cute. We really liked the loft, as well as the interior wood and the deck under the trees...

I recommend the cabins close to the lake, rather than the ones closer to the RV campground. We walked around the property a lot and got a good feeling for the overall experience. In particular, I thought the boat marina was a nice resource to have nearby. We watched a few boats sail in and out of the marina, which was a nice way to take a rest in the middle of the walk.

Overall, we had a very nice time and we would definitely consider going back again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank OceanTraveller11
Placerville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

What can I say? View up close of Mt. Shasta with a fantastic lake in front. Pontoon Boats for rent and swim from all day. A great beach swim area, and a splash zone area with huge inflatables for kids to climb and jump in the water. Hiking trails, nightly outdoor movies. Great pizza/breakfast restaurant in camp and Mt. Shasta City only 3 miles down the road with nice old main street. Our cabin was great. Air conditioned, with kitchen, refrigerator, wi-fi, small cable TV, loft for kids to sleep in. My son loved that. Fire rings outside made for wonderful campfires. Great roads for kids to ride their bikes in the evening. Just go, you won't regret it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
11 Thank kings_29
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2010

Full hookups for the airstream. Boat rentals. Lots of fun. Stunning views of the snowcapped mountains.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
#6 of 9 in Mount Shasta
McCloud Hotel
McCloud Hotel
#1 of 3 in McCloud

Been to Lake Siskiyou Camp - Resort? Share your experiences!