“Worst campground ever!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mount Shasta City KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Shasta
Mount Shasta City KOA
Portland, Oregon
“Worst campground ever!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

After an all day drive with my dog in the car, I was excited to get settled in the cabin I had reserved at Mt. shasta. Upon arrival, I see a sign on the door that says "office closed due to famikly emergency". According to other campers, their "family emergencies" seem to be the norm rather than the exception. After I parked next to the office, I went toward the bathrooms, but guess what. They were closed!. Are you kidding me? So I found a tree and took care of business. I then picked up the key "at least they did that right", and went to the cabin. It was clean, but the mattresses were of very poor quality. I was creative and used the two bunk mattresses to double the twin bed mattress. It would have been much more comfortable if I had just brought my tent and a sleeping bag, given that it felt like I was sleeping on concrete.

Then to add insult to injury, the loudest train goes by adjacent to the campground all night. The first time I heard it, I thought it was some kind of emergency alarm. KOA should at least have the courtesy of putting a sign up warning people of the noise. They could it right next to the sign that says that they are closed.

Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Anderson, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

I am new to the KOA Kamping experience, and thought that I would choose something close by as way to try to them out. To say the least, I was not disappointed, in fact, I intend to return several times!! Nicole was great, very knowledgeable about the area, and she took the initiative to upgrade us to cabin that was closer to the restrooms/showers, as it was very cold that weekend. We were not disappointed and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The campground is beautiful, impeccable grounds with huge trees, and lot's of nooks and crannies to explore. I don't have kids, but the playground looked like a lot of fun. It's very close to the main town of Mt. Shasta, in fact, if you don't mind a good walk, you can just park and walk. I am also going to add-unless you absolutely hate trains, or have a complete aversion to noise, the trains didn't bother either of us, in fact, we loved listening for them.

Room Tip: Rent a two room cabin, over a one room. Even though we don't have kids, that second room was gre...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Keesgirl007
loomis ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

We had been camping in State and National parks. We thought we would give KOA a try, not expecting much.

We were thrilled to meet Nicole. She was so warm, genuinely friendly, helpful with directions and restaurant recommendations, camp site selection. She couldnt do enough. There isnt much one can do to differentiate themselves in a campsite setting, but her service was over the top and made us want to stay longer. We will certainly return and recommend this facility to others.

The grounds were clean, nice trees, large campsites. The restrooms were clean with nice hot showers. There was even a swimming pool.

Go there. It is much nicer than the other option outside of Shasta that we checked out.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ernieLoomisCa
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

Me too I really don't understand the negative reviews.The staff was super friendly,I wanna mention Nicole.Cabins so cute,have everything you need.Roads are dusty,but that's one of the best part.It was fun for us drive on dirt,natural!

Room Tip: I recommend cabins,if you can cook.You"ll bring grocery,cook homemade food and enjoy outside pi...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank ShineeInda2004
Cool
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

Staff is good. Clearly the owner does not invest in this campground. The roads are dusty. The sites are pooly kept. Cable T.V. is extremely poor. This park could be a gem, but it is a place to avoid. We will stay in McCloud from now on! This place is a hole!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CoolRvers

Travelers are raving about these Mount Shasta hotels

Davis, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

I really don't understand the negative reviews. Staff was friendly, campsites and restrooms were clean. It is true that the train is loud, but earplugs solve that problem.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank DavisTraveller
Sonoma,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

The campground was in a nice wooded area, no freeway noise, but the train is loud (adds to the charm of the area). Office staff is nice, especially Susanna, and the merchandise offered is very nice, including a great selection of flip-flops! It was a very mellow place to stay and lots of space to walk in the woods with the dogs.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Comfort Inn Mount Shasta Area
Mt. Shasta Inn and Suites
Mt. Shasta Inn and Suites
#2 of 9 in Mount Shasta

Been to Mount Shasta City KOA? Share your experiences!