“Inventive, health, delicious and stylish”

Vivify Japanese Restaurant at The Lodge
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2011

OK overlook the body fashion statements on the locals. if you got to Mt Shasta, you are probably a Seeker anyway.
This was a terrific meal, in a no-frills house, with delicate flavors well blended and they say, it was all good for me too.
We heard people drive from San Francsico to eat there and take classes with the chef.

Reviewed March 13, 2011

Excellent sauces, delicately cooked specialties. Awesome warming & huge Soba, Udon & Ramen bowls. Large menu. Good local beers on tap. Local & Organic whenever possible. Everything I've ever eaten here has been a treat. & you feel healthy when you leave- not heavy or uncomfortably stuffed. Nice ambiance too.

1  Thank SuperPickyTraveller9
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We are so glad we decided to disregard Tripadvisor for this restaurant. I'm not certain where the other reviewers ate but the Vivify Organic Japanese Restaurant we went to was simply amazing! It was crowded (a good sign of good food) the service was a bit slow, but, if we had wanted fast food, we'd have stopped at Burger King. Vivify is not a place to eat if you are in a hurry.

My husband had the rack of lamb, I had the tempura veggies and shrimp, with Miso soup and Vivify rice. We shared the Sunomono salad, a spicy California roll and their wheat free warm chocolate cake with vanilla bean ice cream. The portions were good-sized and the food was simply fantastic! We wish there was a way for Vivify to deliver to our home in San Antonio. We were so happy with our meal selection, we'll definitely eat at Vivify when we come back to Mount Shasta. Chef's Ayako and Sachio dishes are light, flavorful and so healthy. You simply MUST try this hidden treasure!

Reviewed September 27, 2009

Clean, simple, pleasant restaurant doesn't give off traditional sushi joint vibe, but menu is complete. What I liked about this place was the rounded sake list, real miso, and nice touches like non-colored gari (pickled ginger), and Perilla on the plate. The presentation of all dishes was very well done. However, for someone only used to sushi in port towns like Portland Oregon and NYC, the fish was a bit limp, warm, and tasteless: quite disappointing actually. It looked much better than it tasted, and I left quite a bit of fish on the plate, which is unusual for me. The rice was very good and the vegetables very fresh and many in season. Service was friendly, helpful, but a bit slow and unintuitive.

Overall, if I lived in Mt. Shasta I would probably go back, but next time I'd order one of their fusion meals.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

I hate when I have to go hunting down a waitress just to get a glass of water or to place my dinner order. That's what we had to do. When she finally made it to our table, there was no acknowledgement of our waiting and the service just went downhill from there. No one ever asked if our food was acceptable or whether we needed anything else. The food, however creative, was 'okay.' My son's chicken teriyaki came in full chicken pieces and not chunks or slices. He said it tasted fine but was not memorable. My vegan curry was too peanutty and there were hardly any veggies in it -- just thick gravy with a very few carrots and some potatoes. My husband's veggie sushi, however, was very tasty and the only item we'd recommend. I give this place lots of credit for attempting to provide a very inventive and unusual fusion of Japanese and new-age cuisine. But the resulting offerings didn't always add up. And the cold, impersonal service throughout the meal made us decide to never return. Disappointed to say the least.

1  Thank sunvio