“Great Homemade Food and Delightful Owner”

Pine House Cafe & Tavern
Cuisines: Cafe, Pub, Wine Bar
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Since there is not a lot of competition for restaurants in this area one would not expect great things here. Wrong! Homemade soups and breads are fresh, imaginative and first rate. Standard items like burgers and GARLIC fries are dee-lish too. Great iced tea and coffee! Service is prompt and friendly in a cozy log cabin atmosphere. Mount Laguna is a gem of a spot to go hiking or biking and the Pine House Cafe is a gem of a spot to grab a bite to eat afterward.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Tucked away in the pines off the Sunset Highway in Mt. Laguna is the charmingly restored Pine Tavern Cafe & Tavern. We went there for lunch after some mountain biking in gorgeous, secluded scenery. It's a reliable menu - hamburgers, carnitas, garlic fries, plus some unexpected things like grilled caesar salad. I had the vege-burger, which was delicious, but the crowning yumminess was the homemade blueberry cobbler. Good craft beer selection and very friendly service. Plus it's adorable -- old pine walls and ceiling with a tree growing up through the center of the dining room, a big fireplace, a bar and counter, a dog-friendly porch with dining -- they've even started to have some music on certain weekends. Definitely worth the drive for a fun getaway!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Have tried to go to this site over the years as it migrated from one eatery to another but always seemed to catch it between owners. Well, we finally made it here and I am so disappointed. They couldn't even make a grilled cheese sandwich edible that and the onion rings were nauseatingly greasy. My husband and a fish and chips basket that claimed it was tilapia. Hubby a bit of a fish expert and he's pretty sure it was catfish. Even if it were to turn out not to be catfish, there's something not quite right about tilapia that tastes like catfish.

Reading others reviews I am wondering if we just went on a bad day or if all those other people are friends and family of the owners.

If I decide to risk it and go back (unlikely but you never know), I will post my experience at that time. Hopefully, it will be better.

3  Thank SnapDragonfly
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I loved my first visit to the Pine House Cafe...the blackened burger was the best I have ever tasted, the community table was perfect for our large group, great atmosphere and the staff and owner herself could not have been more pleasant. I can't wait to go back!!

1  Thank vfischbeck
Reviewed July 30, 2012

During June and July of this year my husband and I were on a trip through 5 western states visiting friends and family. While visiting my son in the mountains east of San Diego we were delighted to find a small country cafe with food that was a cut above the better restaurants we ate at during our trip. We had both breakfast and dinner here. The menu has specials that change daily and the desserts are worth the trip by themselves. The service was flawless and the prices were less than most of the chains that we ate at. We will be back first chance we get.

2  Thank Ann H