“Good food right on the beach”

Phil's Fish Market and Eatery
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Moss Landing
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed August 5, 2014

The food is great and there is a wide variety of fish delicacies. The have an oyster bar as well. Always a line out the door, but well worth the wait. Locals hangout and you can sit outside at picnic tables near the ocean.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,062)

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Do not be surprised if you find yourself in an industrial area with limited parking and a line out the door it is worth it. You can sit in side a covered patio or outside. This is not your white linen restaurant ! Grab your menu as you enter if you like the line goes by the bar grab a beer or glass of wine and quite q enjoy. You can buy fresh fish in the market. We had clam chowder, mussels and cippino a meal with enough food for four that two of us consumed the half order of mussels had a great soup base and the cippino had so much fish it was hard to find the soup. They do have great looking desserts but no room for us to try,

If your lucky while your outside you may see whales. Seals or otter or just a nice sunset

This is a place for locals and visitors alike

Cons possible line but it does move fast limited parking but you can park on street

Moss landing not much to do but watch wildlife and eat.

Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

The food is so tasty that it takes you to that euphoric realm. I had the mixed sea food soup which boasted: shrimp. Clams, mussels, crab, abalone, and fish all bathed in a spicy red soup that was piping hit and simply splendid. I also sampled the fish n chips (thick flaky fresh halibut), a fresh garden salad and the clam chowder is legit with white milky saucy broth and chunks of clams and veggies swimming in your bowl. Don't forget to chase it down w one of Phil's fruity margaritas or ice cold tap beer. Oh the bread and butter are free and self serving so just ask one of the eager servers.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

The calamari steak was good, but there was a lot that wasn't. The procedure having the meal needs to be changed. You stand on line (we waited 45 minutes) and then order and pay at the counter and then receive a number and find a seat. Many people were saving seats without having ordered yet that there were no open tables. Luckily a couple was getting up right before our food arrived. Otherwise we'd have food, but no seats. The stuffed artichoke had clearly been cooked earlier and then microwaved where 1/2 was hot and the other 1/2 cold. The bread filling was a mushy salty paste that was inedible. For dessert, I had to wait on another line and finally ordered what they called "homemade" strawberry shortcake. All it consisted of was frozen and thawed strawberries and a hard cake that tasted as if bisquick was used to make it. WHen we asked for forks to eat it, we received plastic forks. It was a casual restaurant, but plastic silverware was not appreciated. When I went to return it for a refund, the cashier said I needed my receipt, which I that thrown away right before since I was not expecting a problem. Once the manager came, she questioned where I got the cake (as if I got it somewhere else) and then took a spoon and poked around the cake when I said it was hard and not edible. It was as if she was questioning what I had said. She repeated the need for the receipt, but I finally got her to give me the refund for the expensive $8 slab of hard cake with frozen strawberries. It was not worth the long wait, mediocre food, and seating procedure.

1  Thank mzk1000
Reviewed August 1, 2014

My husband and I stopped here for a very late lunch (@ 1:30pm). Line was out the door but moved very fast. We ordered the Cippino and steamed clams (both 1/2 orders). They gave big portions. Cippino was absolutely delicious with the seafood so fresh. Clams were yummy in a garlicky broth. I wished I ordered an extra order of garlic bread to go with the broth.

This is one of the best place on the Monterey Coast to get seafood. Please be prepared to park away from the restaurant and walk as parking is limited. It's worth the trip here. I know I'll be back again and very soon.