“Fresh Fish, but Busy!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed September 27, 2013

If you have a thing about crowds, Phil's may not be for you. The place was packed on a Sunday evening, and friends told us it was remarkably uncrowded. We got the lobster roll (large and a full plate of fries, coleslaw, extras), fresh fried sardines, and the champagne oysters. The oysters were pricey, but worth every mouthful. Not your standard oysters. The sardines were a dish of 3 large fish (nothing petite here), and served without sides. Beware of small bones, as they can't be avoided. Nice buttery, garlic-y finish. Yes,the lobster in the lobster role is imported from the East Coast, but my husband loves lobster, and this was furnished with big hunks of it, including claw meat. There was actually enough to have shared just this plate, without the other dishes. Good thing we were hungry after a day of kayaking.

We finished with an artichoke cupcake (we were curious) that was surprisingly good, more like apple spice cake than anything else. The chunks of artichoke were not identifiable as such. Nice sour cream icing.

Be prepared to scrounge, swoop, and otherwise fight for a table inside. Outdoor seating, some with a beach view and over Monterey bay. There were whales spouting offshore when we were there, but only a few tables have that view. I could see a problem with wind, out here, though not when we were there.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,119)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Drove out of my way to stop at Phil's for lunch on the way to the Monterey Jazz Festival this past weekend on the advice of a friend who raved about the food. I had a bowl of the cioppino which came with a side salad and a piece of toasted garlic-butter bread and wished for a buck less, I had opted for the cioppino in the bread bowl as the one piece of bread with a very large bowl of cioppino wasn't enough. The bowl of cioppino, however, was chocked full of seafood and enough for two people. The taste itself was good but not something to write home about-- I've definitely had better cioppino. I don't know if it's the Bobby Flay Throw Down connection or what (for a cioppino battle, no less) but people were flocking in droves to this place. I got there shortly after 12:00 p.m., helicoptered around the small parking lot about 10 minutes before a space finally opened, then I stood in a rather long ordering line that dwindled rather quickly with two cashiers taking orders-- they were quite efficient. It took about 15 minutes from the time I ordered until my food came to my outside patio table. The cioppino was served piping hot and was more than I could eat. When I finished lunch a little over an hour later, the line to order was even longer and people were steadily coming into the restaurant and helicoptering around the parking lot. The aesthetics of the restaurant is unimpressive but it looks like what it is: a working class establishment in a working class coastal hamlet. Would I go back? Yes-- but I'd definitely try my luck with something else on the menu.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

This place was highly recommended and we were not disappointed. Only perhaps that we couldn't try several of the dishes on offer. Only had time for a short stop en-route late afternoon. The mixed platter appealed (not sure exactly what it was called) and we enjoyed it very much savouring the freshness. Lovely setting.

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

We order the fish and chips they had no flavor tartar sauce sucks and way over price 19 bux a plate for fish and chips

Fish was not fresh salt walter fish taste nothing like fresh fish

1  Thank Josue N Irene F
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stumbled upon this place and saw that it was very crowded for a weekday lunch, so I thought I'd give it a try. I had one of the daily specials, sole with stuffed crab meat and Hollandaise sauce for $23, which seemed overpriced for this type of a restaurant. I was not impressed; it was satisfactory. It is self-serve where you order at the counter and they bring it to your table. There is some outdoor type eating which caused me to fight flies while I ate, even though I was indoors. Parking is minimal and even hard to find down the street during busy hours. No ocean view here, either!