Open today: 9:00 AM - 7:30 PM
Review Highlights
Peaceful, Interesting, Beautiful trip

This is everything we every wanted from a trip to the Elkhorn slough- A calm, easy, very... read more

Reviewed October 16, 2018
Jacob V
Whisper Charters 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

This was the best!! Went on a morning tour. Junior was our captain. The whole experience was... read more

Reviewed October 2, 2018
SharonJ701
via mobile

All reviews captain brian electric boat sunset cruise elkhorn slough harbor seals great tour private tour wine and cheese hawaiian music including wine all ages two hours view wildlife monterey area visiting california highly recommend this cruise comfortable ride
Reviewed November 12, 2017

I had been on the Whisper Charter twice before when it was owned and and run by Bryan. Bryan is an incredible person with an encyclopedic knowledge of the wildlife and habitat of the Elkhorn Slough, and being out with him was a real treat, definitely worth the expense. So I went ahead and spent what for me was a lot of money ($360) to take visiting family on this awesome charter yesterday.

Imagine my disappointment when I discovered the charter had been sold 2 months ago to a young man from Hawaii with no understanding of the history or importance of Elkhorn Slough and its wildlife. Instead his vision seemed to be to turn it into a party boat, with Hawaiian food and sunset cruises. We were taken out by a captain with ZERO knowledge of the hundreds of bird species that call this area home... he couldn't identify a single one I asked him about, and didn't even bother to look at them with binoculars to try. After he had pointed out the (very obvious) sea lions, seals, and otters, it became what for me was a very boring and expensive boat ride up and down the slough.

Now for those who want a party boat with wine and and food and banter, this change may be to you liking. But for those of us who come out here for the wildlife, don't waste your money. There are much less expensive options run by educated people who know their stuff.

1  Thank Hilary S
Whisper C, Owner at Whisper Charters, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2017

What you are saying is absolutely correct... Captain Brian does have an encyclopedic knowledge about the slough and inhabitants. I did take over new ownership two months ago of Whisper Charters and I do have a vision of adding Aloha to our tour schedule. I wouldn't call it a "party boat" because in my Hawaiian culture, whenever we can bring people together and everyone is happy, its the "Aloha Way". The Aloha Sunset Cruise is designed for people to experience Hawaiian culture with great music, food and view one of the best sunset views from a hidden gem (Moss Landing). It was "my vision" to share with people the other beauty of Moss Landing away from the daily tours on the Elkhorn Slough. This added Aloha Sunset Cruise concept is for people to relax and enjoy and obviously not for nature viewing because of the evening transition. For example, I've had a cancer patient and terminally ill guest on this Sunset Cruise and they thanked me for a wonderful much needed experience. It's all about what you can provide for guests that will be memorable and how our service impacts their lives.

Our goal (The Captain who took you out & myself) is to provide the best service for our guests with a great experience and include a conversational style tour. We are also learning everyday. Taking over Whisper Charters so far has been a privilege and we have big shoes to fill as Captain Brian has 30+ years of knowledge of the Elkhorn Slough and the bird species. My Captain has just recently joined the Elkhorn Slough Foundation and will be taking a naturalist certification course so he will have the education about the species of the birds to share. When I hired him, my first impression, he would be a great fit because of the Aloha and the friendly service he would provide and the willingness to learn as much as he can about the slough and inhabitants. He has done over a dozen tours and so far and had great reviews.

We do apologize that you had that experience with us after taking this tour twice previously with Brian who is also out mentor and we are learning all what he knows about the Elkhorn Slough. We both had a discussion about your review and instead of looking at it as a negative we will use your review as a positive and will do all what we can to make sure every guest aboard Whisper Charters has an excellent experience.

I just wished that a "Bad Review" would be based on poor or unfriendly service and not the lack of knowledge of all species of birds. I would say it's unfair to get a poor review as we did provided a friendly service with all the amenities including comfortable seating and complimentary beverages. I had an opportunity to speak with your family members and they seemed pleasantly happy and relaxed and the Captain also had a great conversation with them on the cruise.

~Always Aloha

Reviewed November 11, 2017

I went on a boat ride with Whisper Charters. As someone who doesn't really like boat rides, I was worried that the trip would be uncomfortable. I was surprised that the trip was not only comfortable beyond belief, but the scenery was gorgeous! I loved watching the sunset as the seals were basking on the docks. It's a great place to go for photographers, and a great place to host a celebratory event.

Reviewed November 10, 2017

I was treated to a surprise party to celebration my recent graduation from college. I was blown away by the food that was laid out and the boat itself was charming, clean and very welcoming. The captain was super friendly and made me feel right at home. He even gave really great info about the bay and pointed out the best spots to see the wildlife and the sunset. The water was calm and the boat was set up to block the wind so we stayed nice and toasty warm while we cruised around. I recommend Whisper Charters to anyone looking for a new fun way to spend time with friends and family. It's so worth it! thank you!

Reviewed November 3, 2017

When we took the mid-morning tour in late October, I was surprised that we were the only two passengers with Captain Sean. We had taken a kayak tour a couple of years earlier so we were somewhat familiar with Elkhorn Slough. This tour exceeded all our expectations. The boat ride was so quiet and smooth. Best of all, Sean expertly maneuvered the boat to make sure we saw plenty of sea otter activity, as we had desired. I felt that Sean customized the pace of the tour to our preferences. I love that we were able to "park" and quietly observe for as long as we wanted. I could have happily sat out there all day and we will definitely be back again soon.

1  Thank margaret15192017
Reviewed October 29, 2017

Whisper Charters offers a unique way to explore the Elkhorn Slough. The electric motor is soundless so we were able to get close to birds and marine life, as well as carry on a conversation. Captain Sean was fun and informative. And the addition of complimentary wine and other beverages was a pampering touch. As a person concerned with the health of the environment, the fact that the boat has no emissions was a serious plus. My friend who was visiting from Michigan and I thoroughly enjoyed this experience and highly recommend it!