“Excellent eco-tour!”
Review of Whisper Charters

Whisper Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Silent as a whisper, the electric powered Selkie II glides across the water. Join us aboard our elegant, eco friendly electric cruiser! Explore with us the natural wonders of the Elkhorn Slough as we observe rare Southern Sea Otters, Harbor Seals and hundreds of species of birds.
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I went on this excellent eco-tour with my wife and childrem. Brian was an informative and friendly host, and his boat was unbelievably quiet and clean. The complimentary tea, coffee, and chips were appreciated by all. We learned a lot, saw otters and harbor seals galore, and viewed many types of water fowl. I would heartily recommend this tour to everyone.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We took my elderly parents on a 2 hr Whisper Charter to explore Elkhorn Slough after observing their vessel while kayaking the slough. Although we saw another company's vessel in the slough too, we opted for Whisper Charters because their vessel was so incredibly quiet with its electric motor. It really was great because the lack of motor noise allowed everyone to hear the wildlife as we went by them.

Everyone agreed it was a highlight of our vacation. The captain was very friendly and knowledgeable of the area and wildlife. We saw so many different types of birds, seals, and sea otters. We saw a large group of sea otters gathered together sleeping -- never seen so many at one time! We even got to observe 2 different sea otters with their baby on their bellies swimming around. Being is such a quiet vessel, I believe we got to see much more than we probably would have otherwise.

I have never posted a review before but want to for this company as it was an incredible trip and a good value for what was charged. We would definitely do this tour again if we're ever back in the area.

1  Thank J C
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Elkhorn Slough is the California Central Coast's best-kept secret, a fabulous wildlife-viewing area. And Whisper Charters must be the #1 BEST way to view it.

The boat is modern, clean and comfortable. The limited number of passengers makes for unobstructed viewing with comfortable seating. The near-silent electric motor permits approaching within 20 feet of otters, seals and sea lions. Complimentary binoculars and bird-identifying charts enhance the viewing experience. Free coffee and cookies are an appreciated bonus on the two-hour cruise.

Owner/pilot Brian Ackerman is a former captain of marine research vessels, so he's very knowledgable about birds and mammals. And he's also full of interesting information about the area's history, ecology, economics and politics. He doesn't condescend to first-time bird-watchers but can also discuss biological fine-points with veterans.

By contrast, the competition has crowded, stand-up tours on a noisey boat with less time on the water. Whisper Charters offers a world-class excursion. You'll find it's five stars.

1  Thank RuNanS
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I am a traveler by profession and wildlife watching is my speciality so when I say my time on Whisper Charters was some of the best wildlife watching I've done, I'm comparing them to the best in the world. I did a sunset tour and an early morning tour. Both were great. The boat is quiet allowing you to get close to wildlife without disturbing them and the smooth motion means your photos are fantastic. Brian, the owner and captain, is a very knowledgeable birder and has great information on the Slough and Monterey area. The Elkhorn slough is rated one of the best bird watching sites in the US but even if you aren't interested in birding you will enjoy the tour. I felt like a movie star when Brian met us at the parking lot with parking passes, played beautiful background music and stopped wherever and whenever someone wanted to take a picture. The boat is small with clear windows that can be opened or closed depending upon the weather and your need to shoot photographs (I couldn't stop shooting video as the conditions were so ideal). I would definitely do this trip again!

1  Thank Carol P
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Never mind the Aquarium or seeing seal from afire. Take a 2 or 4 hour tour out of North Moss Landing. We saw otters, seals, sea lions and lots if birds. Captain Brian knows a great deal about the history both human and natural if the area. Cold or hot drinks, snacks and binoculars provided. A must do!!