“Lovely stay in a beautiful place”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Captain's Inn

Captain's Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Moss Landing B&B and Inns
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay in a beautiful place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband booked this Inn based on reviews on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed. The Inn is so quaint and quirky with beautiful views. Our room was very comfortable and had an amazing bathtub overlooking the marshes.
Breakfast the following day was lovely-tasty, home cooked food with a great hostess.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Calais, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is a true find and a good example of getting every penny of what you pay for. We spent 5 nights at Captain's Inn, touring the Monterey Bay region and didn't see one other setting that even comes close to this one, let alone the wonderful support from Innkeeper Melanie. This is an intimate setting, but the right kind of family/children (nature oriented) would love it too. Very comfortable accommodations with spectacular wildlife viewing that makes it hard to tear yourself away to go out and do other things. Melanie's breakfast is home made, gourmet, but does not make you feel too full to start your day - perfect every morning and quite varied (she had 5 mornings to keep it interesting for us!). She really takes care of her guests, making sure each morning after everyone is fed, asking whether you need "help planning your day." If you've had difficulty reaching a company to book something, she will do it for you in a matter of minutes. A local of Moss Landing, she knows oodles about the area and provides excellent advice about how to approach things.

While Moss Landing is quieter and may appear less active than its Monterey neighbor, you just have to look beneath the surface to find enough to do to keep you right there for 5 days if you like, and after a long day of joining crowds in the acquarium, Cannery Row, downtown Carmel or Steinbeck's home of Salinas, it is a blessing to come back to the quiet and peace of your Captain's Inn room. While I didn't get to see the historic rooms in the main house, the boat house is just spectacular.

We are already dreaming about our next trip and hoping to bring some friends along from our own beautfiul region of Downeast Maine.

Room Tip: Depends on what you are looking for - I believe rooms in the main house are less expensive. However...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lauren S
Dayton, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night. We were in California for our honeymoon and he had found this inn from this sight. The reviews spoke very high of this inn and the inn keeper. Our room was very nice, very quaint and peaceful. A lot of wildlife could be seen from our room. The breakfast was okay but nothing to brag about. The real dissappointment came when a day after we had left I realized that I had left a bag of expensive toiletries behind. When I called the inn keeper she said they weren't there. I know that is where I had left them because I had been nowhere else. I could understand if I had left them in a large hotel and they came up missing never to be found. However, the inn was not full. She was dissmisive and not the least bit sympathetic. To replace everything will cost me over $250.00. If you stay there be very careful not to leave anything. I believe her motto may be "Finders keepers, loser's weepers."

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Beth E
CaptWife, Owner at Captain's Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
I am glad your stay was peaceful and quaint and that you were able to enjoy wildlife from your room. I remember the call for your missing items. I personally went to the room to look for the items, and searched our shelf where housekeepers places missed and left behind items. I alerted the housekeeper to look out for her hair products. We were unable to locate your items. I still wrote a missing items report on our checklist in cast it shows up later. We have lost and found items nearly everyday and we try very hard to return all items. We take lost items seriously. Just this last week I mailed a pillow, silk pajamas, a watch, a cellphone and gold necklaces back to guests.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We loved every minute of our 3 day stay midJuly-saw beautiful sunsets and numerous birds,had first class homemade breakfasts(even bought the owners cookbook) and went on the captains boat tour along the elkhorn slough- saw over 50 otters and many seals and sealions within 1 hour. thanks so much Melanie for a very special time-and your boat decorating talents were inspiring. Hope you get lots of Canadians after us!

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor in the new building for best private views
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

Stayed here for one night! The room was great, the service was outstanding! So much history in this house and town! It’s a place that you have to visit and stay for a couple of nights! My room was great; the view from the tub was so good! Would love to visit every year! The area is so calm and peaceful! Moss Landing is a little town with so much charm and character! The walk in town and the beach after sunset was incredible! Thanks for everything!

Room Tip: All rooms are great! I stayed at the Admirals Wife! Make sure you ask about the history of the house...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Stockton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Took my wife here for her birthday. Delightful and peaceful retreat. We decided not to go to Monterey and instead ate next door, wandered in the antique shop and art gallery and Shakespeare center where they had great things to see and buy and the owners all had time to chat.

We stayed in the High Seas room [I think]. Our bed was part of a boat and the old wheel house loomed over our heads...and we had a over-sized soaking tub overlooking the estuary. The host was fun to talk to and we enjoyed the breakfast, and cookies on the bed. The beach was empty except for a couple of surfers and fishermen.

Although pricier than most hotels, you are paying for the peace, location and the chance to recharge your ions, not glitz.

I did read the remarks about the front door but I found the owner's explanation pretty reasonable given that this is also a home without a full-time staff [and I went in the front door too].

Room Tip: Pick the upstairs room in the "new" part for the best views. SInce each of the 3 rooms hav...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gflossmann
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights because we liked it so much. Mellenie is a great cook so the breakfasts were very tasty and huge too.
Situated between Santa Cruz and Monterey is Moss Landing, beautiful place.
Our room faced the water and the room was awesome, our bed was a boat.
Very romantic.

4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,577 reviews
Rio Sands Hotel
Rio Sands Hotel
#2 of 6 in Aptos

Been to Captain's Inn? Share your experiences!