“Memorable drinks and lovely ocean view”

Moss Beach Distillery Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Moss Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ocean Street
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Went to Moss Beach Distillery on night #1 of vacation in California. My husband and I had casually added this spot to our list of possible vacation eateries, and ended up glad we did. We went for a late lunch, which meant lots of available ocean-view tables. Have a drink or two, they're fabulous! (Blue Lady for me, Pear Hard Cider for my husband). Lunch was spent watching seals and enjoying the costumed guests on the beautiful patio beneath (it was Halloween). Next time I'll sit on the patio, which features large fire pits and blankets. My husband loved his clam chowder..my fish tacos were good, but the real highlight of dinner was my Blue Lady martini.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have to admit I never tried the distillery’s restaurant but always came here to enjoy the view from the patio. During nice days it gets packed and the wooden benches around the open fire pits fill fast. You can access the patio through the bar upstairs or if you walk around the house to the door/fence at the right.
During winter you can watch whales passing by or the high surf. If it is chilly you find blankets in a small closet that make your stay even more comfortable since you can enjoy the beautiful view over the bluffs even longer.

The patio is self service and you can order bar food and drinks at the small bar downstairs or if closed at the regular one upstairs. The service at both bars is very friendly and the drinks - though a bit pricey – good. Down here you mainly run into locals, no wonder since the way to the distillery is quite hidden.

+ Beautiful views
+ Lovely patio with fire pits
+ Local crowd

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Great for drinks at sunset. Bring your dog and sit outdoors and watch the sunset. The food is just OK, but the views are wonderful

Reviewed November 5, 2012

we have been to Moss Beach Distillery a few times over the past 8 years. the best thing this restaurant has going for it is the location. seating under a throw, having a glass of wine, watching the sunset is spectacular.

aside from that... everything else is just mediocre. as we (my husband, two boys and I) walked in we had to initiate contact with the young hostess who explained to us that if we wanted to eat downstairs we had to order at the bar as there was only table service in the "restaurant section". After a lengthy wait at the bar we ordered our dinners (linguine mare, bowl of clam chowder, dos fish tacos, sweet potato fries, 2 kids meals - corn dog bites and fried fish), a beer, a water, and 2 lemonades - that totaled $107!! everything tasted average... nothing was great. the chowder almost tasted like it came out of a can, the kids fried fish tasted greasy and fishy, the batter on the corn dog was heavy, the fish tacos had too much batter and was a bit greasy also, and the linguine mare was not very good.

we've been coming here for nostalgic reasons.. but am not really sure we'll be coming back. you would think that for all the money they make on the overpriced food they could put some money into fixing up the place because it looks run down and the carpet looks filthy. the table and chairs downstairs are ugly and dirty.

i wish i could say much nicer things about this place because it does have the history and a bit of charm... it just could be so much better!!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Nice view from the rite table. Service was slow and food way overpriced. I guess it is nice for a special occasion but nothing special otherwise. Can be noisy.