Having visited many areas of CA, we had not been to the Moss Beach/Half Moon Bay area. Not many ways to get there, and if you pick the wrong weekend, it can be a slow trip. Hwy 92 from 280 is a nice drive, unless it is a sunny weekend, as everyone seems to want to go to HMB.
Seal Cove Inn is a lovely property... What we were told it was designed as an Inn, by an owner who traveled a lot and experienced inns. It showed in the spacious rooms, wide hallways and staircases. The building seems French in character and has lovely grounds. It's location is great, as it is not near the fog horn in HMB. You can hear it when in the Seal Cove Inn parking lot, but not in the rooms. If you stay in HMB you are subjected to the fog horn, even at expensive hotels in HMB.
Unlike many inns, the SCI parking lot is large.
I highly recommend this Inn, as the service is great, the rooms are spacious, and the location is serene. It is a short walk to the ocean and some tidepools.
Some things to consider. It is just north of the HMB airport. When the airport is active, it can be a bit noisy. We heard many aircraft take off within a few minutes, and SCI is right in the take off pattern. That was on the weekend, and we didn't hear much during the week.
Second is the heating system. It can be noisy. We meet another couple that changed rooms as the noise was disturbing their sleep. We turned the system way down and it was ok, but we still had some noise during the night.
Highly recommend you stay on the 2nd floor. It is much quieter, and some rooms have a balcony. The fireplaces in rooms are wood burning. The Inn provided a "bundle" of ECOwood, which burns well, but lacks the snap, crackle and pop of real wood...and little smell of wood. SCI provides a complimentary bottle of wine in the minifridge.
SCI location is great. It's easy to get to harborside HMB using side roads (Airport Road) or HWY 1. You can walk to Moss Beach Distillery (o.4 miles). MBD is a VG restaurant on the ocean.
SCI has breakfast every morning, it is meat free, and the artichoke strata is outrageously good. In the afternoon they have a "tea", typically a tea cake, some cheese and assorted items. In the afternoon they have fresh cookies at the front desk.
Overall. the location, accommodations, service are terrific. The food is VG, though I wish there was more variety (e.g. bacon/ham, peanut butter) Not everyone likes oatmeal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 23 miles south of San Francisco, Seal Cove Inn is an exclusive ten-room Half Moon Bay hotel, set apart by its recently completed renovation, dedication to luxurious details, As You Wish concierge services and peaceful, private surroundings. Cypress trees form a graceful arch over the pathway leading from the hotel down to Seal Cove Beach and the breathtaking Fitzgerald Marine Reserve. The inn is ideal for a romantic getaway or corporate retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Hotwire so you can book your Seal Cove Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Seal Cove Inn - a Four Sisters Hotel Moss Beach
- Seal Cove Inn - a 4 Sisters Inn