“Everything Good Except for One Staff Member”
Review of Seal Cove Inn

Seal Cove Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Moss Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here recently for our 20th anniversary. The inn and the grounds were very nice and we were happy with our room. The common area for sitting and eating breakfast was also very nice. We did have a problem connecting to the wifi on the second floor where our room was located, but the day manager knocked a little off the bill which was more than fair. This inn is also located next to the Bluff Trail which MUST be explored. The scenery of the Cypress grove on one side of the trail and the ocean on the other side is a sight to behold.

Our only real issue was with one of the evening staff. Her customer service was something I would expect if I was staying at an economy motel, but not an inn of this caliber. I'll give some examples. We were downstairs looking for the area where you can get a DVD. When my wife asked where it was she just pointed her finger in my wife's direction and didn't say a word. My wife had to ask again because there was a closet and a cabinet in the direction she pointed. On another occasion we were looking for the complimentary cookies. I asked her where they were and again she just pointed in the direction of the sitting room without uttering a word. When I looked in direction of the sitting room she finally spoke up and showed me the container on the front desk, which was nowhere near where she had been pointing. I also called her when we first had difficulty connecting to the upstairs wifi. The only thing she could offer me was: "Well, I'm able to connect to it". It turned out she was connected to the wifi for downstairs use. When we were filling out the morning coffee service form and asked her questions about it she answered in a tone that suggested we were stupid for asking. The bottom line, I believe she was not mature enough for a job like this. It very well may be her first job.

On the other hand, her colleague Rachel was a professional. We met her the second night we were there. When we were in the sitting room we heard her interacting with the other guests. She was very engaging and friendly. In fact we forgot to order our morning coffee service on the night she worked, but our coffee service was still delivered to our room the next morning, which we think could have been Rachel's doing.

My wife and I consider ourselves pretty laid back and low maintenance, so it usually takes a lot to dissatisfy us to the point of giving a negative review. We usually try to give the benefit of the doubt. I hope the management reads this review and takes action.

Room Tip: You may have difficulty connecting to wifi in an upstairs room, especially if the room is on the end...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
DanaUnzueta, General Manager at Seal Cove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Thank you so much for staying at the Seal Cove Inn for your 20th anniversary; I was delighted to hear that your overall experience was good. I am so sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience with one of my front desk innkeepers. I can certainly understand that you would be upset. This is not our policy and I have reviewed proper procedure with my front desk staff. Your impression of Four Sisters Inns is very important to us, and we take to heart any situation in which our company does not meet the standard of excellence that we have set for ourselves. Though I cannot change the circumstances after your stay, I would hope you might give Seal Cove Inn another chance to provide you with excellent customer service. In addition, we are in the process of upgrading and replacing equipment that will greatly improve WiFi connection upstairs. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

There are newer reviews for Seal Cove Inn

Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate another special birthday. This was our 3rd visit and a disappointment. Gone is the professional front desk replaced by the same young and inexperienced people we experienced recently at another Four Sisters Inn at the Inn at Harbor Steps in Seattle.
Also gone is the beautiful quality traditional style furniture in the room replaced by ultra modern (and obviously low quality) sparse beige (and yellow?) decor. The bathroom has obviously not been updated since our first visit in 1997. Afternoon appetizers were sparse at best and breakfast was a buffet (no longer cooked to order) with an egg dish which ran out by 0915, and hash browns terribly over-salted.
All of this could have been overlooked until at check in we were told there was a problem with the water heater which was being replaced but would be fixed 'shortly'. After a long walk we returned to no hot water. (so much for a shower before dinner after traveling and a walk).
The next morning after another long walk (the tide pools are wonderful) and then breakfast, I stepped into our shower to no water at all! My husband went downstairs to inquire and was told, now there was a pipe burst earlier this morning and no hot water would be available this morning. And why was this not conveyed to us earlier as we did speak to the front desk on our way out for a walk before breakfast!
They did credit us part of our charges, but the inconvenience was enough along with the lack of concern to remove this previously lovely inn (owned and operated in the past by the wonderful Karen Brown) off our favorites list and list we have recommended to friends and family for 15 years.
Interesting to note the inn is for sale.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank evansemery1117

I am so sorry that your stay at Seal Cove Inn was a disappointment as compared to previous stays. Karen Brown did sell the inn nearly six years ago and changes and décor reflect this ownership change. I can certainly understand that the current feel of the inn is very different. We do receive communication from time to time from earlier guests who miss the former Seal Cove Inn experience, and we also receive very complimentary feedback from both current and former guests.
I have shared your comments with the kitchen staff regarding food quality and ensuring that all food served is always fresh, tasty and continuously being replenished. Since we do cook the food in-house, it may have seemed that the egg dish ran out, but it sometimes takes a couple of minutes to replenish the hot dishes.
Please accept my personal apology for the unfortunate plumbing issues that occurred during your stay. The situation was out of our control and I am so sorry that they happened during your visit here. If time permits, I welcome a call which will provide me the opportunity to attempt to regain your trust. I can be reached at 650-728-4114 or via e-mail at dana@foursisters.com.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Everything you read about Seal Cove Inn by all the visitors is right on! It is comfortable, charming, casual, quiet, surounded by nature, and elegant. It is an easy walk to the Marine Sanctuary where you can enjoy beautiful trees and look for seals in the ocean, or go to the beach. The tide was extremely high when we were there, so we did not walk down to the beach. But we loved watching the seals from the lookout point at the end of the trail.
We were there for our 15th wedding anniversary; Friday we stopped at Ano Nuevo to see the elephant seals. At night we went to the Distillary Restaurant and saw an awesome sunset! Saturday we went to the Pumpkin Festival in the morning, and in the afternoon we rode our tandem bicycle to Half Moon Bay and back (12 miles round trip). We went to the Crab Landing restaurant for dinner. Sunday we walked to the Marine Sanctuary and then departed.
When we entered our room there were brightly colored ballons saying "Happy Anniversary". They also gave us sparkling cider because I had told them we don't drink any alcohol. We were upstairs in the room with the king bed and the large tub with jets in the bathroom. It was a very good sized room with a loveseat/fireplace. We loved looking out over the garden. Sunday morning they put out birdseed on the ground and there were quail, other birds, and 3 bunnies eating. It was so peaceful and cute. You hear the roar of the distant ocean when you open the door on to the tiny balcony, and birds galore make lovely songs to listen to.
The breakfast was amazing, and they have cookies available in the evenings. The 5 o'clock snacks were varied and delicious.There is bottled dispenser water upstairs and down so you can refill your water bottles anytime. My favorite feature was the stainless steel dispensers for soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel (Gilcrest and Somes!) on the walls so you don't have to mess with tiny plastic bottles. The lotion smelled like lemon verbana...simply wonderful!The rugs in the hallways and room are looking a bit worn, stained and dirty; I told them that in their email survey which they sent to us after our stay. They said they would notify the manager. Other than that the accomodations were very nice, and there is a lot to do in the area. Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2012

After months of research, I decided to spend my wedding weekend here. This is one of the best hotels in which I have stayed. I was there the night before the wedding with my girls, the night of with my husband, and we decided to stay the next night as well. It was too wonderful to leave. The ocean view (from the deluxe balcony room) was far off, and hidden by trees, but you could definitely hear the ocean, and the foghorn in the distance. The garden behind the hotel was full of bunnies, quail, and other small disney-like creatures. Breakfast was plentiful, and very good, and the staff was very friendly, and courteous. They also always had cookies, and snacks in the afternoon. It is not near downtown HMB, but it is in a nice quiet area, and it is a short drive into town.

Room Tip: book early, get the two person spa room. Once in town, definitely check out Mezza Luna.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SionnanH
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is a quick jaunt over the hill from our home in San Mateo, but the restorative pleasure, quiet, and peace is equivalent to a two week stay in an ashram. Okay, I may be overstating, but not by much. My husband and I were in such need of some R & R, all we were able to do the first night there was crash. The next morning we were greeted with breakfast in the lounge,and a flurry, bevy, covey, and flock of local wildlife being fed for the guests viewing pleasure. The surrounding gardens are a delight! The hiking trails are just minutes away. All in all, welcoming, invigorating, and oh-so-relaxing,

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I loved my stay here. The bed was fabulously comfortable, the staff were friendly and the location delightful. It would be nice to have tea+coffee facilities in the room [rather than having to toddle down the passageway for them but oh joy there was a fridge in the room and a welcoming bottle of wine. There were chocolates and a friendly note on the bed, a fire was laid in the grate and it was spacious. The carpets and bathroom tiles may be showing signs of wear [as does the lock on the screen door leading to the garden] but I would stay here again in a heartbeat. In fact I’m sure I will be back.

Room Tip: i had a patio room which was lovely. i imagine they are all nice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights recently and found it to be more than expected. The location seems secluded but close to everything, the beach, restaurant, etc. Our room opened out into the cottage garden where it looked like something from a Disney movie, birds, rabbits, hummingbirds and gorgeous flowers! Every morning there was a nice full breakfast waiting for us and our room was close enough to sneek freshly baked cookies from the reception area! I can't say enough about this retreat. We'll definitely return....soon hopefully.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Harbor View Inn
Harbor View Inn
#8 of 8 in Half Moon Bay
The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay

Been to Seal Cove Inn? Share your experiences!